Low Sodium Lunch Meat?

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The best option is to cook your own meat and use it on a sandwich. :)
    ^ This. In addition to the already mentioned boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I buy whole frozen turkey breasts (hard to find them fresh) and bake them. Can do the same thing with roasts (beef or pork). Throw large amounts of seasoned meat into the crockpot and you're set for several days. Can always freeze some for later use too.
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I too did not realize how much sodium was in my lunch meat. Wow! I am on the hunt for lower sodium meats myself.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat a lunch meat sandwich for lunch instead of buying lunch at work. If you have a place that sells Boar's head, they have some great low sodium products. Kroger (a grocery chain) has Boar's Head and also has low sodium options in their Private Selection Brand.

Be sure that you also watch your bread. Bread is a hidden sodium trap. I like Aunt Millie's 35 calories per slice. But, it goes bad quickly. Low Sodium bread tastes like NOTHING.

The one place I won't skimp is cheese - again try Boar's Head. Low-ish sodium cheese, but still packed with flavor. Longhorn Colby and Vermont cheddar are faves.

** if you wanted to eat tuna, instead of rinsing off the sodium, try Sunkist Low Sodium tuna pouches. 70 calories w/100mgs of sodium. Not too shabby.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I really like the Sara Lee brand of LOWER Sodium meats. Not really low, but better than the regular stuff.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE real roasted chicken on a sandwich, a little light mayo or mashed avocado, maybe some lettuce, muenster cheese, and a bit of pepper. The reason there is so much sodium in the lunch meat is so that it lasts for a week after you open it. If you want low sodium meat, you're going to have to cook it yourself and store it. There are a few low-sodium options for pre-packaged lunch meats, but I personally don't care for lunch meat much. I only eat it if there's nothing else! lol
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm with everyone else who said Boar's Head. Expensive but it's better than the pre-packaged deli meat in terms of sodium. We don't eat it much so every once in a while, I'll buy it and bring a 1/2lb of their low sodium turkey and chicken breast home. Delish!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    i found butterball low sodium turkey breast at the deli! it IS hard to find....AND pretty pricey..$6 per pound. and i bought 3 lbs yesterday :x
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The best option is to cook your own meat and use it on a sandwich. :)

this....cook a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breast and throw it in the fridge or freezer. don't buy the pre frozen chicken breast though. the sodium in some of the brands is just as bad as deli meat.

I agree chicken breast but just be careful because manufacturers love to inject it with sodium.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    These are new on the market and I have found they have less sodium than Boars Head low sodium turkey.

http://healthy-ones.com/hearthealthyfood.php

6 slices is 320mg of sodium. For the turkey that is...
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi:

When I started MFP last April I was shocked regarding lunch meat calories and sodium.

I recommend Wal-Mart Great Value - All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, 4 oz ( 112 G). It is frozen. I bake the chicken and I can eat more ounces. See the following breakdown for 4 ounces:

110 calories
    190 sodium
    -0- Carbs
    240 potassium
    -0- fiber
    45 Cholestrol

I hope this helps.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head does make a no salt added turkey. comes in at about 50mg per 2oz. Keep in mind it won't taste like the other varieties, but I've gotten used to it. Pair that with swiss cheese and it's rather low in sodium especially compared to everything else.
  • tedeez
    tedeez Posts: 18
    Options
    Jennie O carries a great tasting low-sodium turkey in the deli department!!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head does make a no salt added turkey. comes in at about 50mg per 2oz. Keep in mind it won't taste like the other varieties, but I've gotten used to it. Pair that with swiss cheese and it's rather low in sodium especially compared to everything else.

Where have you found this?? Would love to try, but they don't sell it at the main grocery store I typically shop at.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Where have you found this?? Would love to try, but they don't sell it at the main grocery store I typically shop at.
    If you go to their website you can see if they have a store in your area. They have it at all our local grocery stores. I'm in Philly, USA
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I'm in Northern VA. Get it at a Harris Teeter grocery store.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options

I've been eating this for lunch every day for a few weeks now, and I love it. Another good choice is their Deluxe Low Sodium Oven Roasted Beef - Cap-Off Top Round - 80 mg for 2 oz.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    What I do is buy skinless boneless chicken, cook it, cut it up, fridge it and use that as sandwich meat.
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    I had no idea how much sodium that stuff has, so easy to throw a sandwhich together and just look at the 60cals for 6 slices
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thin 'n' trim has all lower sodium products from what the deli people told me! I usually just get chicken or turkey though cause everything else has to be higher I'm sure!
  • JenR1008
    JenR1008 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head has an amazing selection of lower sodium lunch meats and cheeses. They range from 25% to 47% lower sodium. They are the only lunch meats and cheeses I buy. They are a bit pricer but the taste is worth it. For packaged products....Hillshire Farms has reduced sodium meats but the selection is not as varied as Boar's Head.