Need ground turkey recipes

Options
Cindym82
Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
Need some good recipes for ground turkey, I have half a day at work tomorrow and wanna make something good for dinner. Thanks guys

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you like but you can go out to tasteofhome.com and search for ground turkey. There is an awesome recipe for regular turkey that I sub ground in. It is for turkey black bean chili. It is really good and healthy (hides pumpkin that you can't taste to increase veggie servings).

Here is the link -- http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Black-Bean--n--Pumpkin-Chili. Seriously good stuff. I brought it to potluck at work and it was gone quickly with everyone asking for recipe.

I use ground turkey (or chicken) in all my ground beef recipes. You can make meatloaf, stuffed peppers, etc.
  • starspecks
    starspecks Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1-2 (1 to 1 1/2 lbs) packages extra lean ground turkey
    2 eggs
    packaged bread crumbs
    Tomato Sauce (your choosing)
    1/2 cup green bell pepper
    1/2 cup onion
    1/2 cup mushroom

Combine meat, eggs and tomato sauce to your liking. Mix well. It's easiest to do with your very own hands! Add other ingredients, some like less some may like more!

Slowly add bread crumbs to thicken the loaf.

Be careful - adding too much will mean you'll need to add more egg and tomato sauce.

Bake until thoroughly cooked usually about 45 minutes at 350°F. But keep an eye on it as it is extra lean so it cooks faster and will dry up.

I actually like to put roasted red peppers on top instead of sauce (I still mix the sauce in so it doesn't dry out) but most don't have them handy.

Also easy idea is turkey burgers!
  • Cindym82
    Options
    I have never made a meatloaf...that actually sounds good :)
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    turkey tacos! I mean not much of a recipe with that one, probably substitue flour tortillas for something either whole grain or corn and add avacados, tomatoes, onions, maybe a bit of tatziki instead of sour cream
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    You can sub Ground Turkey in any Recipe that calls for Ground Beef. Equal amounts.
  • JoyceLongstreth
    Options
    Not sure about anyone else, but I prefer ground chicken over ground turkey. It has a milder flavor so it absorbs the flavor of whatever you cook it in. I love it with taco seasoning in place of ground beef tacos
  • sharonloraine
    sharonloraine Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bake a spaghetti squash and shred. top with browned Italian turkey sausage and 2 table spoons of marinara. Makes a great spaghetti.
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Beth's BBQ Meatloaf (from my friend Beth :))

1 package of ground turkey (usually it's around 1.30lbs)
    1 egg or equivalent of egg beaters
    3/4 cup bread crumbs
    Peppers, chopped (according to your liking)
    Onions, chopped (according to your liking)
    1/3 cup of any flavor bbq sauce
    1 teaspoon of grill seasoning
    1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning

Mix it all in a bowl and make 4 mini meatloaves. I usually make four burgers, then kind of make them longer/thicker, so their about 1" thick. Spray a pan with olive oil and put the mini meatloaves down. Spray the tops with olive oil too and bake at 425 for 20-25 min. They get crispy and they cook fast since they're small. Not like an hour for a regular meatloaf. If you like, just before it's done, you can put a little bbq on top for the last few min in the oven.

Nutrition Facts (4 Servings) Calories 317.3 Total Fat 12.0 g Saturated Fat 3.6 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g Cholesterol 104.2 mg Sodium 704.6 mg Potassium 88.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g Dietary Fiber 1.4 g Sugars 3.3 g Protein 33.7 g

Sooo delicious! :)
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Not sure about anyone else, but I prefer ground chicken over ground turkey. It has a milder flavor so it absorbs the flavor of whatever you cook it in. I love it with taco seasoning in place of ground beef tacos

just happens to be what we have in the freezer
  • neesey918
    Options
    Stuffed Bell Peppers made with ground turkey breast instead of beef are very good. Many recipes available
  • bjlkt2
    bjlkt2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Saute diced green pepper and a sweet onion; cook ground turkey in the same skillet, season with whatever sauces or spices you'd like (we have a great "southwestern sauce", or a stir-fry sauce) and serve over rice. Delicious.
  • krissym822
    Options
    The Hungry Girl cookbook has a great receipt for "squashtastic Shepherds pie" made with ground turkey. This book has some great receipts with healthy options.

1 lb ground turkey
    1/2 an onion
    1 butternut squash peeled and cubed (any squash would work)
    1 bag of frozen veggies
    1/2 jar of low fat gravy (I cannot go with the low fat gravy)

I use the Zipplock steamer bags (the best thing ever) for 6 minutes to soften the squash then mash it but you can heat it up in a bowl with a little water so it will not dry out if you cannot find the bags.
    Brown the onion (I always add garlic, because it is good) in a pan then add the turkey and cook
    put the cooked turkey in a casserole pan pour the gravy over this. Next spread the frozen veggies and cover with the mashed squash. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until the top starts to brown.

I like to add crushed pepper to the ground turkey too for a kick.
  • TraToy
    TraToy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just made this 2nite....SO GOOD!!! Got the recipe from emilybites.com

Bubble-Up Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
    1 ¼ lbs extra lean ground turkey
    1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
    1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 (7.5 oz) can refrigerator biscuits, cut into quarters (I used “Homestyle” biscuits)
    1 cup shredded low fat Mexican Cheese

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
    2. Brown turkey in a large skillet or sauté pan.
    3. Add the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and black beans and stir to combine. Stir the biscuit pieces into the meat mixture.
    4. Transfer the entire mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Yields 6 servings. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
    Nutrition Information per serving from myfitnesspal.com: 307 calories, 34 g carbs, 6 g fat, 32 g protein, 4 g fiber
  • Cindym82
    Options
    The Hungry Girl cookbook has a great receipt for "squashtastic Shepherds pie" made with ground turkey. This book has some great receipts with healthy options.

1 lb ground turkey
    1/2 an onion
    1 butternut squash peeled and cubed (any squash would work)
    1 bag of frozen veggies
    1/2 jar of low fat gravy (I cannot go with the low fat gravy)

I use the Zipplock steamer bags (the best thing ever) for 6 minutes to soften the squash then mash it but you can heat it up in a bowl with a little water so it will not dry out if you cannot find the bags.
    Brown the onion (I always add garlic, because it is good) in a pan then add the turkey and cook
    put the cooked turkey in a casserole pan pour the gravy over this. Next spread the frozen veggies and cover with the mashed squash. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until the top starts to brown.

I like to add crushed pepper to the ground turkey too for a kick.

that sounds sooo gooooood thanks!!
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    These are delish, a staple in my diet. Even my beer drinking "I'll eat red meat till the day I die and nothing else" dad loved these, and he hates everything

Turkey Burgers with Zucchini
    Servings: 5 • Size: 1 burger no bun •
    Calories: 156 • Fat: 6.8 g • Protein: 18.6 g • Carb: 5.5 g • Fiber: 1.3 g

Ingredients:
    1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
    1 small zucchini, grated
    1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
    1 clove garlic, grated
    1 tbsp red onion, grated
    salt and fresh pepper
    oil spray

Directions:
    In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties.

Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook on one side until browned, then flip. Flip over a few times to prevent burning and to make sure the burgers are cooked all the way through.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    When I make a turkey burger sometimes I stuff a laughing cow lite cheese wedge in the center and bake it on 350 until done. It is soooo good!! I serve mine on sandwich thin. Speaking of sandwich thins.... mmm mmm mmm place a large portabella mushroom cap in an oven safe dish top with ground turkey and bake until burger is done then top with swiss just long enough to melt.. It's so good!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    turkey tacos! I mean not much of a recipe with that one, probably substitue flour tortillas for something either whole grain or corn and add avacados, tomatoes, onions, maybe a bit of tatziki instead of sour cream

mmm love this idea...does anyone have a good tatziki recipe?
  • kellyc3
    Options
    Bump
  • Cindym82
    Options
    Hmmm I bet if I make the turkey taco's my boyfriend wouldnt notice lol hes a big red meat eater
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options

THIS!