ALMOST NAKED PICTURES - A debriefing

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
Yesterday I ran into a tree dodging a child whilst out running and gave myself a large but not at all serious scratch on my arm. I though this was quite funny and posted a picture of myself in my underwear sporting my 'Injury' under the title "Running Injury ALMOST NAKED PICTURE"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501371-running-injury-almost-naked-picture?error_user_id=3981948&error_username=mikeyrp

Now - I fully expected to receive some teasing over this blatant attention whoring - after all - the whole post was intended to give people a bit of a laugh. What was disappointing was the number of people who thought it was OK to be rude about my appearance in what was in effect just a progress picture.

I'm confident in my body now - I'm not going for a man-model look - my goals revolve around running rather than toning.

based on the response though, I feel bad for anyone who lacks that self assurance and had put up something similar. I'd like to think the forums here are designed for us to give mutual support in our quests a healthier lifestyle - not as a place to vent our own insecurities by putting others down.

Replies

• sacha1977
    Options
    That's so not on. This is suppose to be a support group not a battering group.
    Shame on those people. I was worried about adding photos of myself as I feel terribly uncomfortable and am only at the start of my journey. I certainly won't be adding any now.
    There are some nasty people about
    Thank god you are the confident person you are. Any lessor of a person would surely get a complex and be upset.
    I can't believe you ran into a tree though...lol! now that's something you should be getting the stick for....lol!
    xx
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bunch of trolls mate, ignore them. I bet most of it is jealousy anyway. You've done really well, remember that instead of taking any notice of the trolls!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Don't go on about it. The girls pretty much all posted impressed sentiments, it was only the other men who complained, and they are probably just envious because the girls were impressed. The male ego is a fragile and baffling thing.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I agree with fteale. I looked at that pic, and you don't look bad at all! You look like a perfectly healthy runner to me, and you really aren't even anywhere towards my direction of pudginess (that means for any haters I am fat and he isn't). Thats a funny post I think, and people were just having attitudes for no reason. Great job for laughing off what was probably a very humiliating accident!

EDIT: I see you weren't being picked on for not having perfect abs, but for making the post in general. That is kinda funny!
  • harrietlg
    Options
    haha thats hilarious! i read some the posts it sounded like jealousy to me!! love the picture though you look bloody good, you have a great body to show off !
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I thought you looked pretty amazing. I do think some people are envious of any attention that isn't directed *to them*. You see the same men on here, over and over, making nasty, undermining comments to other people. I don't have a problem with humorous teasing, but there's a clear difference between that and testosterone laden, jock strap sniffing, macho stupidity and aggression.

It was a cute post, and a cute picture. That they wanted to take it so damned seriously is really a measure of their humourlessness and stupidity.

Shake the dust off your feet, ignore the fools, and go for another run, Mikeyrp. We all know who the better person was here.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't go on about it. The girls pretty much all posted impressed sentiments, it was only the other men who complained, and they are probably just envious because the girls were impressed. The male ego is a fragile and baffling thing.

This is EXACTLY what happened....in my humble opinion:wink:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I think you look great (and indeed hot), you've made amazing progress, and body hair is far more masculine and attractive that shaved or waxed like some of the meat-heads round here!

If you read back through that thread, everyone who gives you a hard time gets slapped down and even the guy who accuses you of sucking in your gut comes back an apologises and congratulates you on your progress!

Let's face it, there's still a LOT of flab on me in my latest progress picture, but the only reason I didn't get flack is because I'm a girl, and we get away with murder because otherwise we'll cry! :laugh:

Next time run into the child instead of the tree, they're softer :wink:
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ok just read the whole post, here's my thoughts please correct me if you think im wrong. I personally thought you were a bit of an attention seeker and think you brought some of those comments on your self, e.g your boxer shorts and the scratch my man. Im not being nasty has you have made some great progress compared to your pics, but you must admit some of those comments were funny, dont take it all personally and buy some new underwear!:wink:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If he'd posted saying he had run into a child, all the girls backing him up on that thread would have been hating him instead. I'm sure his chivalry is half the appeal.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    PS - you also handled that thread really well. You were funny. That made them look even more like tools.

(And I agree with Berry. Which isn't unusual.)
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Stick with your mates Mikey. You dont need my endoresement. We are all in this together

I come here to support my friends and have some fun.

I take my running seriously (as I know you do) but I also love the support and friendship I get on here.

Any bloke who wants to score supposed points is not gonna fbe riends with the people I am friends with on here for long.

Take it easy pal.

Tim
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the problem. Pretty standard responses for the type of thread you posted. You kidded, they kidded :/.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    first off the title of this cracks me up. second i know wacha mean i posted progress pics once and all i got was a "your legs look like they are broken" i cant help it my joints bend in all directions :/ but then again anytime i post anything i either get absolutely no answer or people not answering and jabbering about other things tht have nothing to do with it and being rude. . . sorry for the rant im out :P
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Its ok, i got it and thought it was pretty funny. Loved ur knickers by the way! lol. :tongue:
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I thought you looked pretty amazing. I do think some people are envious of any attention that isn't directed *to them*. You see the same men on here, over and over, making nasty, undermining comments to other people. I don't have a problem with humorous teasing, but there's a clear difference between that and testosterone laden, jock strap sniffing, macho stupidity and aggression.

It was a cute post, and a cute picture. That they wanted to take it so damned seriously is really a measure of their humourlessness and stupidity.

Shake the dust off your feet, ignore the fools, and go for another run, Mikeyrp. We all know who the better person was here.

This ^^ (girl crush on meerkat!) :wink:
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I had a look at it, and it seems to just be girls saying you have a slamming body, and guys saying why post it.... I fully support your right to post it, perked up my day! :wink:

Yeah, I'm moving the perving to this topic too haha

Edit: also, it concerns me how some people on here cannot take something that's a bit tounge in cheek!
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    I loved the pic :smile:
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    There would have been huge outrage if those negative comments were about a women posting. I was amazed by how many didn't see that the post was done tongue in cheek.

Funny post.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys n gals. I know most of the MFP community is supportive - its just a shame the minority make the rest of us look bad.
    I was worried about adding photos of myself as I feel terribly uncomfortable and am only at the start of my journey. I certainly won't be adding any now.

This is exactly the reason why I started this thread - Not because I was bothered but because I want people like you to feel comfortable here. I hope the responses here have given you a little more confidence to share your photos when you are ready,