95 days and Fustrated

Options
124»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many pounds are you looking to loose and how many per week? The only thing I really notice is that you are not eating to your net calories. Some days you aren't even getting 1200 cals total before exercise. Even if you don't eat all your exercise cals, shoot for net cals of at least 1200. Maybe decreasing your loss/week to 1# will help to jump start an weight loss (by eating more cals).

Since switching to whole wheat I have had a hard time eating my calories...it makes me full. If I chose to lose 2 lbs a week MFP says to consume 1200 and if I chose to lose 1 lbs a week it says 1530. BUT other more popular calculations puts me even high. :ohwell:

Try 1200, I'm on 1200 for 2lb weight loss a week & I lose 1lb a week or every two weeks because of my BMR & TDEE.
    So give 1200 a try & don't eat back all of your exercise cals.
    Last week I at over by 200 for about 3 days & gained 3lbs.

First of all, you would have to consume 10500 calories above and beyond your TDEE for that 3 lbs to be fat. That three pound is probably all water. When you under eat (like only 1200 calories) and eat all of a sudden, your body will freak out and not know where to store all the additional calories. Second, if you can only lose on 1200 calories, there is a problem. If this is the case that means you lost a bunch of lean muscle mass and destroyed your metabolism.t

I would like to ask, have you ever tried eating more for an extended period of time, which I mean a month or so?

All I can say is that, in my case...if I consume more than 1200 calories or do not leave at least a 200 calorie deficit after exercise, I gain. What is the lowest you have had your goal set?

How are you calculating your exercise calories? If you use MFP, it tends to over estimate. This is why I always suggest eating 50-75% of your calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Molly, here are the general guidelines for weight loss. So if you don't have much to lose, you need to set your goal to .5 lbs per week. You are probably over extending yourself.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Molly, here are the general guidelines for weight loss. So if you don't have much to lose, you need to set your goal to .5 lbs per week. You are probably over extending yourself.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Thanks!!!
  • penningtonwendy
    Options
    Keep in mind that while doing strength training, you are building muscle, which weighs twice as much as fat... Sometimes it's better to stay off the scale and use an OMRON for your body mass count... That way you will see results in the fat content of your body, instead of a scale that may go up a few pounds...:happy:
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same too. I do everything right and still nothing. In a little over a month, I'm still pretty much where I started. I extra frustrated this morning because I weight myself on Tuesday, 134.5, today 136. I was doing P90X for three weeks saw no difference, so this past weeks I've only been doing intense cardio, still nothing. I feel like crying!

I can tell you for a fact you aren't eating enough. P90X requires a lot of nutrition and women are recommended to eat no less than 1800 calories. And since you don't have to lose much weight. Bump your calories to 1800 for a month and track you progress.

Agreed! If you look at the nutrition plan, it tells you to eat something like 2200 calories a day. I looked at your diary as well, and you were not eating enough. P90X is very, very hard on your body, and you need to feed it in order to allow it to recover. Eat back your exercise calories, ALL of them. You'll see change, though not necessarily on the scale right away.
    I'm doing P90X (for the second time--my first time was two years ago), and I don't follow the nutrition plan, but I pretty much eat however much I want to because my body needs it. I am seeing results physically, though my scale has barely moved.
  • stoutjw22
    Options
    Since you noted you are exercising regularly, it may be the type of exercise you are doing. If you are doing the same workout more than two days in a row your body will get used to it and start buring less calories. Additionally if you are only doing slower running or jogging workouts each day your body will definitely stop buring as many calories. Try doing spints, weightlifting, pushups/situps, or something similar to P90x where your are doing lunges and squats at least every third workout and your body should continue to burn. Plus these types of workouts will build muscle which burns more calories.

The second problem I always had was I wouldn't always log all my snacks or put food in acurately. I would forget to log the handfull of candy or sweets I had at work or I would have a full glass of milk and write down a cup of milk instead to two. I started getting the measuring cups out and it only took a week or so of ding that and I got a better idea of how much of each item I had.

Third you should never be eating less calories than your base calories. so if your base is 1500 then you need to always eat at least 1500, if you work out and have another 500 to spare you can treat yourself to a snack or stick with the 1500, but if you don't at least get the base amount your bady thinks it is starving and will retain weight.

Finally you are always going run into plateaus were your body is building muscle and burnign fat at the same rate so you stay the same weight for two or three weeks then all of the sudden you lose several pounds. Just stay persistent through those plateaus
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary so we can look at it. Its impossible to offer suggestions without seeing what's going on.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    All I can say is that, in my case...if I consume more than 1200 calories or do not leave at least a 200 calorie deficit after exercise, I gain. What is the lowest you have had your goal set?

do you have an HRM, or are you using mfp guesstimations?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Keep in mind that while doing strength training, you are building muscle, which weighs twice as much as fat... Sometimes it's better to stay off the scale and use an OMRON for your body mass count... That way you will see results in the fat content of your body, instead of a scale that may go up a few pounds...:happy:

So a pound of fat is half the weight of a pound of muscle??? Wow.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

So a pound of fat is half the weight of a pound of muscle??? Wow.

No, it weighs the same - muscle just takes less space - its more compact.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You can't gain lean muscle mass on a large caloric deficit. You need enough fuel to add muscle. And it's even harder in women to do that.