Vegetarians/Vegans -How much protein do I REALLY need?

Options
I have been working toward eliminating animal-based foods from my diet. Of course now I am quite low on protein. I have added quinoa, but the protein to calorie ratio is not good. I'd have to eat only quinoa to meet my protein requirement, and I would be over on calories. So obviously that is not the answer.

I suspect that I don't really need as much protein as MFP recommends, especially if the recommendation is based on the USDA recommendations, since they represent and are funded by the animal protein industry. But my question is how much protein do I really need?

I ordered a body fat analyzer which should arrive next week. That should tell me what percentage of my weight loss is fat vs. lean mass. I am doing a lot of cardio 6 days/week and weight lifting 3 days/week, with one rest day.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• horsesandhipbones
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I expect you're right. I tend to eat between 40-60g of protein per day, most of which comes from dairy/soy products, pulses and meat-replacement foods likes quorn or tofu. Having said that, if you're dong weights training, you do need quite a bit of protein. I would suggest eating lentils/beans and putting semi-skimmed milk/soy in your tea or cereal, and then you should be fine. Good luck! :)
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says that we only need 15% of our calories to come from protein. The new rules of lifting book that I just read said that this is a minimum, and that it is better if we eat more, especially if we are trying to gain muscle - so I've been shooting for about 20%. I used to advocate an "it doesn't matter" approach, but right now I'm trying higher protein levels to see how it works. I absolutely do not recommend animal protein no matter what, though - I've read the China Study.

I eat a lot of tofu, black beans, sprouted mung beans, lentils, and protein powder. My favorite protein powder is Spirutein - tastes like candy (which means it probably isn't the healthiest, but it's vegan and full of protein). I also have hemp protein powder and a rice protein powder that I add to my green smoothies. Let me know if you have questions or want more info!
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ok. I did the math... If I consume 1200 calories/day, and 15% of my calories need to come from protein, that means I need to consume 180 calories worth of protein daily. Since 1 gram of protein = 4 calories, that means I need a minimum if 45 grams of protein daily (20% would be 60 grams of protein)... I ordered 4 lbs of spirulina powder which provides 4g protein per tablespoon. That should get me through until I figure out how to get it strictly from whole foods. Thank you for your help!
  • mayurkhare
    mayurkhare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a vegetarian too and the USDA recommendation is way overrated. Yes you need high amounts of protein if that is the kind of activity you do each day (weight lifting, active sports or physical activity related work - lifting, pushing, moving etc). Most of our sedentary lifestyle does not need that much protein.

Having said that, along with Tofu and other Soy products, have you looked into eating Legumes and Pulses (both are excellent sources of plant based proteins). I grew up eating these so its second nature to me, we cook them, saute them with spices, add these to our salads etc. Might be a good idea to add thest o your meals along with the protein powder you are taking and once you have figured out how to cook them move completely to pulses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_(legume)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/legumes/NU00260
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I expect you're right. I tend to eat between 40-60g of protein per day, most of which comes from dairy/soy products, pulses and meat-replacement foods likes quorn or tofu. Having said that, if you're dong weights training, you do need quite a bit of protein. I would suggest eating lentils/beans and putting semi-skimmed milk/soy in your tea or cereal, and then you should be fine. Good luck! :)

^This. Also, raw almonds, walnuts, and peanuts in moderation. Lots of good proteins and omega 3's.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    if you're hanging onto dairy, greek yogurt is amazing. it's got 13- 18g of protein per serving. whole grains have protein too, the bigger and huskier the grain, the more protein. i just had freekeh yesterday for the first time and it's got 12g/serving. it's wheat based, so celiacs be warned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freekeh
  • change_happens
    Options
    Great question. I have had the same question, but so many different opinions.
  • joemomma3d
    Options
    Hemp Hearts are a wonderful source of protein :) Sprinkle on salads, yogurt, in protein shakes, in oatmeal. or just eat a spoonful :) calorie wise they can seem high but they are very good for you in every way
  • Orangecupcake
    Orangecupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Though I eat some dairy occasionally, I east Vegan most of the time. I limit anything processed, including tempeh, tofu, faux meats, etc. It's sometimes hard to get my daily protein. I eat a lot of beans, quinoa, whole grains, and my new favorite snack is edamame in the shell. I find it's a real balancing act to keep sugars and fats low, while keeping the good nutrients high.I can do it, but it takes a conscious effort!
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Love---> spirulina, hemp protein, almond milk, Beachbody shakeology, raw cashews used as sauces, puddings, etc (see Elana's Pantry website for raw Vegan "tapioca", chia seeds, beans/hummus/ etc., (I do eat fish occasionally), tofu, quinoa, and tempeh.
  • Orangecupcake
    Orangecupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been eating on average about 50g of Protein a day. I love nuts and eat those in moderation, but try to limit those b/c of the high fat content.
  • dhansen999
    dhansen999 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is something you would be interested in but I found a really good Vegan Protein powder (Vegan Proteins+). It is made by Genuine Health and the protein comes from peas, cranberries, sprouted brown rice, alfalfa and organic hemp. It comes in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry and then I mix it with unsweetened almond milk.

http://shop.genuinehealth.com/

And no, I do not work for them and am not affiliated with them. I'm a computer programmer for a software security company.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    According to the U.S. RDA is to multiply 0.36 (grams) by your body weight. A healthy plant-based diet includes a wide variety of whole foods consisting of beans, whole-grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, along with products made from these natural foods, such as tofu, tempeh, and meat analogs. You can easily get all the protein you need from real food, there is no need for protein supplements. For me beans (especially soybeans at 29 grams per cup), lentils (18 grams in a cup) and tempeh (up to 20 grams in 4 ounces) are the sources of most of my protein and they are a great calorie bargain!!!!
  • SGraceEyre
    SGraceEyre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and eat very little eggs or dairy, and most of my protein comes from beans, nuts (esp almonds), hummus, and the occasional banana, which has protein. That's just me, and those are the foods I find myself eating on a regular basis with no complaint, because they are easy and delicious.

I love tofu and soy, but you might want to be careful about eating too much of those things, since they can make your body act like it has more estrogen, which can sometimes exacerbate any lady problems you might have.

Another thing is to make sure you still get plenty of iron and calcium. Almonds are great for iron and dark leafy greens are great for both. Calcium = another thing that's important but probably way inflated in the USDA guidelines, on account that they think everyone should eat a ton of dairy.
  • Used to do the vegan thing, don't anymore, but good sources of non-animal based protein include: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas, Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, ouinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice, Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard green, onions, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini, Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grape, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, strawberry, tangerine, watermelon, Almonds, cashews, filberts, hemp seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts (black). If you do weight training, and you can get past the processed nature of it, you can add some soy-based protein shake powder made with soy and almond milk now and then.
  • siobhano_
    Options
    Fry's vegetarian/vegan burgers and sausages are really high in protein and taste good too. One 80g burger has about 13g of protein and only 110 cals
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    as long as you are eating the right foods (not mcdonald's french fries) but eating lots of leafy greens, whole grains, beans, nuts etc. -- you will get plenty of protein. if you opt for processed foods, you will have a harder time. the milk substitutes are a good source. i used almond milk.

be cautious of the amount of soy you consume. i do eat it, but i limit it. studies have linked the estrogen in soy to tumor growth. it's good in moderation. if you like the soy yogurt, drink rice or almond milk. if you have a veggie burger pattie, skip the soy cheese. that sort of thing...

good luck! it's not an easy transition. take it slow and don't worry if you have the occasional slip up. we are flexitarians in my house - i consider myself primarily vegetarian, but i do meat from time to time. My sister is a vegetarian who leads a mostly vegan life. you should do your research thoroughly about veganism and what it means. I attempted it briefly. Even white sugar is out because there are bones involved in the processing of it. it's an admirable lifestyle, it was just hard for my family of 4 to maintain. :)
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump. good info!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The WHO recommend 45g of protein a day for women, so I tend to try to use that as my baseline. I have more on the days I exercise, but 45g is what to aim for as a min.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

below is a raw foodest,
    anthonybeforeanthonyafter.jpg

Who IS this?????????