BMR higher than goal. Am I missing something?

Options
2»

Replies

• KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Jeez.....my BMR is 2513!
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, you have to be in a caloric deficit. To lose one pound, you must have a 3500 calorie deficit. Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose weight? If you want to lose a pound a week, you must eat 500 less calories than you burn in a day. For two pounds, you must eat 1000 less.

this
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... Don't you need to take in (or burn off) 3,500 calories less than your BMR each week in order to lose a pound?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

It is 3500 calories less than your TDEE (which is your BMR times activity level -- sedentary, lightly active, etc.)

Example: My BMR is approximately 1460. I am sedentary (desk job) so my activity multiplier is 1.25. My TDEE is approximately 1825 (1460*1.25).

I need to eat 3500 calories less than my weekly TDEE to lose a pound.

Additionally, it is ill advised to eat below your BMR for an extended time period (a day here and there is going to hurt). If you eat under your BMR long term, it will lower your BMR. This isn't a good thing since the BMR calories burned are basically "freebie" calories.

Please eat at least your BMR. If the difference between your BMR and TDEE is only 250 and you want to lose a pound a week you'll need to average 250 exercise calories burned each day for a total of 500 calorie deficit.

Take care of your body for the long term. Slow and Steady wins the race!
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    Trying to lose weight? You need to eat LESS than your BMR.

NOOOO! Less than your TDEE! NOT your BMR!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Either MFP is incorrect or the MFP BMR calculator is incorrect. My BMR on the calculator is something like 2370 and MFP (with my set up and 2 lb/week loss rate) say daily consumption should be 1900 calories. That is 470 per day below BMR.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Either MFP is incorrect or the MFP BMR calculator is incorrect. My BMR on the calculator is something like 2370 and MFP (with my set up and 2 lb/week loss rate) say daily consumption should be 1900 calories. That is 470 per day below BMR.
    Yes because if your BMR is 2370 then your maintenance would be much higher, if you are sedentary (desk job) it would be 2370*1.2 = 2844 - 1000 deficit would be 1844. As the 1000 cal deficit comes off of maintenance not BMR maintenance is BMR plus activity multiplied which accounts for sitting, standing, eating, digestions etc.
  • huntindawg1962
    Options
    Thanks - and I agree with what you are saying. But is that not in conflict with the "don't eat below your BRM" remarks some are making?
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... Don't you need to take in (or burn off) 3,500 calories less than your BMR each week in order to lose a pound?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

It is 3500 calories less than your TDEE (which is your BMR times activity level -- sedentary, lightly active, etc.)

Example: My BMR is approximately 1460. I am sedentary (desk job) so my activity multiplier is 1.25. My TDEE is approximately 1825 (1460*1.25).

Additionally, it is ill advised to eat below your BMR for an extended time period (a day here and there is going to hurt). If you eat under your BMR long term, it will lower your BMR. This isn't a good thing since the BMR calories burned are basically "freebie" calories.

Please eat at least your BMR. If the difference between your BMR and TDEE is only 250 and you want to lose a pound a week you'll need to average 250 exercise calories burned each day for a total of 500 calorie deficit.

I did these calculations: tdee × 7 = x, x - 3500 = y, y ÷ 7 = calories I should consume a day to lose weight. My y = 862.5

The difference between my bmr and tdee is about 275

My calorie intake is set at 1200 calories, isn't that too many calories to be consuming?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks - and I agree with what you are saying. But is that not in conflict with the "don't eat below your BRM" remarks some are making?

That's the point being made - MFP ignore your BMR when setting your calories, they will simply deduct the 500, 1000 calories from your TDEE regardless of whether it's under your BMR or not.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I did these calculations: tdee × 7 = x, x - 3500 = y, y ÷ 7 = calories I should consume a day to lose weight. My y = 862.5

My calorie intake is set at 1200 calories, isn't that too many calories to be consuming?

That's a complicated way of just deducting 500 (3500/7) from your daily calories.

What is your TDEE?

have a look at this - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • erickirb
    Options

Okay, if you have a lot to lose 75+ lbs you would be able to sustain eating below BMR, once you have less to lose not so much without risking losing lean muscle mass.
  • My1985Freckles
    Options

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

You would need to make up the 225 calories a day difference (500-275) in exercise and NOT from your diet.

Additionally, you are 101.6 and right smack dab in the middle of the healthy weight range for your height. You should try changing that to half a pound of weight loss per week (or 250 calorie deficit per day). That would have you eating right around your BMR of 1090.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind eating below your BMR will slow down your metabolism. It's sophisticated enough to adjust when it doesn't see enough food.

BTW some good info on the link below.

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html
  • huntindawg1962
    Options

Okay, if you have a lot to lose 75+ lbs you would be able to sustain eating below BMR, once you have less to lose not so much without risking losing lean muscle mass.

Excellent - thanks!
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

1. You are small. Most of these numbers, 1200, 500 whatever, are generalizations. You may not fit neatly into those. Some suggest using a percentage of your TDEE instead of the straight 500.

2. You are very close to goal weight, 1lb a week should not be your goal anyway.
  • erickirb
    Options

1. You are small. Most of these numbers, 1200, 500 whatever, are generalizations. You may not fit neatly into those. Some suggest using a percentage of your TDEE instead of the straight 500.

2. You are very close to goal weight, 1lb a week should not be your goal anyway.

see #2 above

Your goal should be 0.5lbs/week when you have less than 15lbs to go to ensure you are not losing too much lean muscle.
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So why doesn't MFP calculate our goal based on TDEE? Seems that from what everyone has said that would be a very simple programming item ...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So why doesn't MFP calculate our goal based on TDEE? Seems that from what everyone has said that would be a very simple programming item ...

It does. When you go into your settings, you will have an indicator on whether you are sedentary, lightly active, etc.. and based on which one you select, will determine how it sets up your goal. Unfortunately, most people don't add their exercise into your TDEE calculation. This is why it's suggested to eat back their exercise calories.

As a point of reference, if your BMR would be 1500, and you chose a sedentary lifestyle, it will take your BMR and multiply it by 1.2 and then add the deficit you chose.
  • erickirb
    Options

Because the MFP way is supiriour. The reason being the TDEE method gives you calories for planed exercise. Well not everyone sticks with their plan, either working out more or less or burning a dif # of cals then what was estimated. MFP allows you to lose your goal amount of weight regardles of exercise, whereas using TDEE you have to exercise exactly as you planned to lose your goal amount of weight. MFP allows you to adjust via food intake, instead of amount of exercise, food intake is easier to control/measure.