BMR higher than goal. Am I missing something?

Options
According to this link
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

My BMR is 1955

but I only have an allowance of 1650 calories. Obviously this is because there isn't much difference between BMR and my activity level. Maybe I don't have that set properly, but I think I do. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to eat as close to the goal as possible and always more than the BMR, but this doesn't fit. What's going on?

Replies

• nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    good question. I would like to know the same. My BMR is 1616and my calorie allowance is 1520. So which one should I aim for??
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... Don't you need to take in (or burn off) 3,500 calories less than your BMR each week in order to lose a pound?
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, you have to be in a caloric deficit. To lose one pound, you must have a 3500 calorie deficit. Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose weight? If you want to lose a pound a week, you must eat 500 less calories than you burn in a day. For two pounds, you must eat 1000 less.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? If so, how many lbs a week?
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    i had it set for 2 pounds for the last month but i havent lost anything. so i just decreased it to 1 pound 2 days ago, in which it upped my calorie allowance to 1520/day
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight? You need to eat LESS than your BMR.
  • renroh0
    Options
    Hmmm ... Don't you need to take in (or burn off) 3,500 calories less than your BMR each week in order to lose a pound?

Less than your maintenance. BMR is what your maintenance would be if you sat absolutely still and had trained penguins put your food in your mouth and chew it by moving your mandible for you. A lot of topics across this board say eating less than BMR will inhibit your body's calorie burning process
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It might have something to do with your activity level. My BMR is around 1500 ish, but I have my daily calorie goal set at my maintenance for when I reach my goal weight which is higher then my current BMR, but I try to avoid that number and keep my calories remaining in the green. I average about 1400 calories a day and with exercise I create about 5000 deficit each week. Which would be a 1.5# loss each week. Sometimes I meet it, sometimes I don't and sometimes I lose more than that.

There is a group called the Olivia method which kind of explains this way of doing calorie counting....hope this helps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    According to this link

My BMR is 1955

but I only have an allowance of 1650 calories. Obviously this is because there isn't much difference between BMR and my activity level. Maybe I don't have that set properly, but I think I do. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to eat as close to the goal as possible and always more than the BMR, but this doesn't fit. What's going on?

Most likely what you did was set your weekly weight loss goal too aggressively for your stats:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Go with your daily calorie allotment that MFP gives you. I post this a lot, but here's what works:

How does MFP work? For me:

1. Eat clean
    2. Meet your calorie goals, don't fall below them
    3. Set your goals to lose 1lb/week unless otherwise advised by a doctor
    4. Log every bite--if you are tasting during cooking chew gum or just log each taste.
    5. Keep your routine varied, try something new: Zumba, martial arts, body combat, Tai Chi, power yoga...keep your body confused and your mind from getting bored.

I reached my goals in September. I also read Everyday Food magazine (makes it easier to log--nutrition info included), www.dailygarnish.com, and Whole Living Magazine. You can get free recipes on all of their websites.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Trying to lose weight? You need to eat LESS than your BMR.

This is 100% wrong. You need to eat less then maintenance to lose weight, by definition maintenance will always be higher than BMR unless you are in a coma. Maintenance is typically 300-1200 calories more than BMR depending on activity level. Any deficit should be calculated from maintenance and if you don't have a lot to lose your net calories should be your BMR at a minimum.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It's a quirk of MFP that while it won't let you try for below 1200, it doesn't have an issue with going below your BMR.

I went in and adjusted my MFP goals to make my net calories be my BMR, instead of a randomly chosen number.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Go with your daily calorie allotment that MFP gives you. I post this a lot, but here's what works:

I disagree, MFP does not know if you have the proper weekly weight loss goal set. If you set it correctly then do this otherwise re-evaluate your weekly goal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No, you need to eat less than your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. Your BMR is the basic rate your body burn just to survive,. This does not include your daily activity and exercise, your TDEE does.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read (not on MFP, just in general), you shouldn't eat below your BMR. You want to create your calorie deficit off your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and NOT off your BMR. Your BMR is the number of calories your body needs just to live (if you were in a coma - you would need this amount just remain alive).

Remember that MFP's recommendations aren't set in stone. If you what you're doing isn't working, don't be afraid to switch things up in order to find what works best for you.

I know MFP's calorie recommendations are far too low for me.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I disagree, MFP does not know if you have the proper weekly weight loss goal set. If you set it correctly then do this otherwise re-evaluate your weekly goal.

See my notes, 1lb/week. I'm not saying blindly set a goal.
  • renroh0
    Options
    According to this link

My BMR is 1955

Most likely what you did was set your weekly weight loss goal too aggressively for your stats:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Thanks, I think I'll probably just eat exactly BMR for a few days then change it to 1.5. I want to lose 30 pounds, but what I wanted to do is slow down as I get closer because I'm worried about cannibalization and I'll have different exercise plans throughout the process.
  • nytdreamer80
    Options
    Well there is my problem. I had been eating less then my BMR. NICE. okkkkkk. Maybe I should convert over to the Olivia method. this is all so dang confusing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I realized this last week and I upped my calories from 1200 to 1520 (my BMR is 1500). My energy level increased by huge amounts, I was so tired on 1200 cals and now I know why! I'll probably start losing slower, but at least I'll have enough energy.