Interesting info, CORN, Should we eat it?????

Options

Replies

• dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything that comes out looking the same way it went in

Amen to that.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    Eat candy corn. Its the only corn that is good for you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think its a great article and worthy of sharing. By posting it, I am not saying that I am corn free, corn is almost everything we eat, just check the label and I love sweet corn on the cob in the summer but some of the points made are valid. I am giving this a shot and if I feel better then I'm going to give it up.

I'm curious, what points did you find valid?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I only eat things that are alive.

I'm sorry, but what do you eat then?

I'm assuming babies, mostly.

Delicious, delicious babies.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If grains are bad, then why do people who eat them benefit?

Fiber from Whole Grains, but not Refined Grains, Is Inversely Associated with All-Cause Mortality in Older Women

http://www.healthmegamall.com/Articles/BabeskinArticle269.pdf

Whole Grain, Bran Intake Associated With Lower Risk of Death in Diabetic Women

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100510161246.htm

Whole-grain intake is inversely associated with the metabolic syndrome and mortality in older adults

http://www.ajcn.org/content/83/1/124.abstract

Thanks, I'll keep eating my corn. (and rice, and whole wheat, and barley, and oats.)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'M SO OVER THESE TOPICS ABOUT EVERYTHING BEING AWFUL FOR YOU.

MODERATION, MODERATION, MODERATION.

Thank you! Blah blah blah......eat this for this reason, don't eat this for this reason. Sitting on the toilet for too long can cause cancer.....ahhhh! I don't care. Yeah I want to live as long as possible, but seriously I think the writers of some of these articles think you can live forever by avoiding certain things and following a strict strict diet. All these "super health nuts" are going to feel pretty stupid someday, lying in a hospital dying of nothing.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I highly, highly, highly recommend reading some of Mat Lalonde's research. He is an organic chemist and is really researching grains in the human diet.

He makes some good reminders.
    1. The amount of time we have been an agricultural society is only a speck of human evolution, BUT... Correlation doesn't equal causation, although it IS grounds for hypothesis and testing.
    2. There are anti nutrients in every food. This alone is not evidence for a non grain diet.
    3. Invalid inference: "We evolved over millions of years without consuming foods that became readily available upon the advent of agriculture, hence, we are not adapted to tehse evolutionary novel foods."
    Correct (after looking through past research, etc - see the presentation): There has been insufficient time and evolutionary pressure for complete adaptation to seed consumption to arise in Home sapients. As a result, individuals that tolerate grains and legumes should be considered the minority, not the majority.

Video:
    Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/ancestralhealth/an-organicchemistss-perspective-on-paleo
    It's long and technical. If you don't watch the whole thing, I'd recommend minutes 0:00-9:00 (slides 1-12) & 34:50-end (slides 80-116)

Copyright - Mat Lalonde, PhD
    1.png

2.png

3.png

As for me, I've been grain free for four months. And yes, corn is in nearly all heavily processed foods. It works for me - to each their own :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Makes me want some grill corn on the cob, grill in its own husks and smothered in lime chili butter!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think its a great article and worthy of sharing. By posting it, I am not saying that I am corn free, corn is almost everything we eat, just check the label and I love sweet corn on the cob in the summer but some of the points made are valid. I am giving this a shot and if I feel better then I'm going to give it up.
    Corn is almost everything we eat? :huh:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Lol why do these posts come from people who havent been on the forums but for a second.

Paleo?

Didnt we evolve?

LOL

If it works for you then hats off!
    corn.gif

Cute kitty!!! Looks just like my little guy.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    paleo-cream-puffs.gif
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    don't eat corn in a Snickers bar...
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I highly, highly, highly recommend reading some of Mat Lalonde's research. He is an organic chemist and is really researching grains in the human diet.

I'll take the science of the massive longitudinal studies showing that grains are not only safe, but, beneficial (cited above), over an organic chemist. But you are right, to each their own!
  • Acg67
    Options
    If grains are bad, then why do people who eat them benefit?

Fiber from Whole Grains, but not Refined Grains, Is Inversely Associated with All-Cause Mortality in Older Women

http://www.healthmegamall.com/Articles/BabeskinArticle269.pdf

Whole Grain, Bran Intake Associated With Lower Risk of Death in Diabetic Women

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/05/100510161246.htm

Whole-grain intake is inversely associated with the metabolic syndrome and mortality in older adults

http://www.ajcn.org/content/83/1/124.abstract

Thanks, I'll keep eating my corn. (and rice, and whole wheat, and barley, and oats.)

Epidemiological studies like the ones above cannot prove anything, i'm not in the grains are evil camp, but I also don't think they are as wonderful as some whole grain advocates would lead you to beleive
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I only eat things that are alive.

I'm sorry, but what do you eat then?

Corn mostly.
  • Acg67
    Options
    There has been insufficient time and evolutionary pressure for complete adaptation to seed consumption to arise in Home sapients. As a result, individuals that tolerate grains and legumes should be considered the minority, not the majority.

Tell that to Asia
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Soooo no chocolate cake for you? :laugh:

hahaha Especially if they have candles on it. Its weird being able to pull out a lit candle out your bum
  • leanmachinedream
    Options

Soooo no chocolate cake for you? :laugh:

Oh god. I thought the first comment was bad but your response was worse. :laugh:

Oh yes, and this post is ridic.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Corn is in everything and subsidized by the US Government. It's hard to eat it in moderation but it's worth trying to eat it in moderation.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

• Corn contains lots of fast digesting starches and sugar, which raises insulin levels, causes you to be hungrier and causes your body to store calories as fat.

Do yourself a favor, and try at least 2 weeks with no grain products at all. I guarantee you will see some drastic improvements in your weight, energy, and general outlook! This is easier than you may think... For example, instead of having pasta with sauce and meat for dinner, a better alternative would be to have just grass-fed meat, tomato sauce, and veggies, topped with a little parmesan cheese. It’s delicious and no grains!

So don't eat corn because it spikes your insulin and makes you fat, but eat meat which spikes your insulin and makes you fat? Of course the mere spiking of insulin doesn't make you fat

I just wanna nuzzle you right now.