The reason you fail at losing weight

Options
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor (yet). Anything I may state in here is merely suggestion, and should be discussed with your personal doctor.

With that disclaimer out of the way, let's talk about why you are failing at losing weight.

I bring this up because I've seen posts on here saying, "I'm doing this and that, but I'm not losing weight!" and such similar things. The first reason you're failing at losing weight is because you're expecting immediate results. You cannot join one week and expect a 10 lb loss the second week. It just doesn't work that way. You're not on "The Biggest Loser", you're simply following a guideline to assist you in losing weight.

It's why diets tend to fail. It seems people tend to expect some sort of miracle when it comes to dieting. In part, the diet's to blame, with claims of, "Lose 30 lbs in 30 days!" and other such nonsense. No one reads the fine print where it says, "Your results may be different due to weight loss variations." In other words, they're saying, "We're going to show you the best case scenario because we want you to buy our product, but truth is, you'll probably lose 10 lbs in 30 days. But our lawyers tell us to put this here so you can't claim false advertising."

So yeah, you're being misled into thinking you're going to lose all this weight in an almost instant rate, and with that belief, you're going to fail, and fail miserably. Take a look at the success stories around here. Not a single one of them is going to say, "I reached my goal weight in just 30 days! AWESOME!" unless they were only losing 10 lbs. Instead, you'll see, "32 months and I lost 301 lbs" (an actual post that inspires me!) or "18 months, 100 lbs lost!". Those are realistic time frames, and that's what you should expect.

Another reason you're failing at losing weight is the belief that weight matters. Truth is, it doesn't. All the hype about weight is just that - hype. Yes, you should be at a healthy weight range for your height. What truly matters is how physically fit you are. Weight tends to be cosmetic. Look at football players. You have guys weighing in at 300 lbs that can play 3 hours of football without dying. Why? Because they are physically fit. When you exercise, you're not so much as losing weight as you are toning your muscles. You're turning fat into muscle, which is an awesome thing. The more strength you have, the more you can endure. Endurance is what allows you to run 10 miles instead of 1/10th of a mile. Your heart is a muscle, too, and by doing cardiovascular activities, you're strengthening it to regulate your blood more easily. So, just because you aren't losing weight doesn't mean you aren't getting healthy.

For those reasons, people should concentrate less on weight loss and more on measurements. The weight loss will come naturally, but the measurements will be the determining factor. So measure your waist, your hips, your bust, neck, etc. And don't do it every few days, expecting to see a change. Do it once every two weeks, or even better, once a month. Understand that minimal weight loss doesn't mean you're not accomplishing anything. Make sure you log everything you do, exercise-wise. Look back and see, "The first day, I was only able to walk/jog for a quarter mile before I got too tired. Today, I'm able to jog two miles without stopping." That there is a huge accomplishment, even if you've only dropped 5 lbs in 2 months.

One last thing to realize, and I'm guilty of this myself: don't under eat just to stay below your calorie level. You achieve nothing aside from the urge to go on a binge when you're eating only a quarter of what you should eat. Try for at least half your calorie goal, keeping in mind the burn from exercising. And remember, you're part of the MyFitnessPal family now, and you have tons of support from people going through the exact same thing you are.

I support you 100% in your efforts to lose weight, and together, we will beat this excess fat!

Replies

• lissamok
    Options
    I LOVE this! :)
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Perfectly said. Thank you!!!
  • tarajeand
    tarajeand Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! Great for us all to remember.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Great post! Thank you so much for this!
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My sentiments exactly ! Thanks for the post.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Gotta love a well spoken man who knows what he is talking about
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    If you could see me right now, I'd stand up and APPLAUD!!! (Probably whistle really loud, too!)

Thank you so much for posting this. Sometimes we need a reminder and a kick in the pants.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is a great post, thank you for saying the things I've been thinking since I joined MFP. It seems like there are many people here who are expecting overnight miracles, and a little perspective goes a long way.

Keep at it and we'll all get where we want to be. Baby steps people, baby steps.
  • cindylou7164
    Options
    Just what I needed to get going again. Thanks.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This deserves a big ol' bump!!

Cheers,

Alsison
  • Deeranged1
    Deeranged1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Very nicely put!
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Great post. So true, when I realized that I hadn't put it on in 30 days I got the right mindset that it was going to take a long time to lose the 53 pounds that needed to go. 28 months and 43 pounds later I know I've made a lifetime change in my eating and exercising. 10 more to go to make up Doctor happy, I'm thinking I'd like it to be 15.

Thanks for the reminder, slow and steady does it.
  • weemoodycow
    Options
    Very inspiring. I totally agree with the whole weight hype. BMI is a pretty worthless measurement, because muscles weight more than fat. Hence often people who do sports that increase muscle mass, are above the so called 'healthy range'. x
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    GREAT post that I need to come back and read DAILY! I get so caught up in seeing immediate results and have to reign myself in all the time. Controlling eating habits and exercising can be very challening especially at the start, so it is hard not to feel like you *should* or *deserve* to see results that are just not coming...at least that is how I think. This post is so very true for all those trying to lose weight...yet it is so hard to remember so you don't get discouraged. Thank you for the reminder!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Such a smart man. Thank you for all the imput. We all needed to hear it!
  • charneus
    Options
    Lots of positive feedback! I'm glad that I'm inspiring people, and hopefully educating people as well. I hate to see people who constantly fail at losing weight merely because they aren't getting the results they want when they want. I know I struggled with that myself, and I wish I had someone around to tell me that back before I came to this conclusion.

Everyone here has something to prove only to themselves, not the rest of the world. The sooner everyone sees and understands that message, the sooner everyone can achieve their goal and keep their goal.

I thank all my friends for the support I've gotten in my journey as well, even though I'm a relatively new member to MFP. And thank you guys for the positive feedback on this post.

:flowerforyou: -- For all of you.
  • charneus
    Options
    Okay, this post seems to have earned me a few more friend requests, so I'll go ahead and state it here...

Feel free to add me as a friend. I may not post much, but I do try to be encouraging enough. :) And I'm here to listen whenever! :)
  • BethanyJoSmith
    BethanyJoSmith Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks I needed that today. Started strength training last week and gained 2 lbs this week. FRUSTRATING! but I know its ok, sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else besides the voice in your head.
  • roxxie03
    roxxie03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks -- and well said!!
  • mrsred79
    Options
    Bravo, sir. Thank you.