Protein

Options
I am strugglling with always going over my daily protein limits. I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

Replies

• Fit40Freak
    Fit40Freak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned if you were going over on your daily fat alotment. As long as you stick to your calorie range, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Barring a medical condition, excess protein within a caloric deficit is arguably a good thing given MFP's default settings.
  • Irishblue62
    Options
    Thanks for responding :smile: Your input is appreciated!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's not a limit.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There is really no such thing as too much protein! Only if you go over in calories. So enjoy! MFP puts the % dreadfully low on protein.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    brilliant - this answers my question too. my first day on here and was like "eek" gone over protein Day 1 - not a good start, however, mind now at ease :)
  • emgett
    emgett Posts: 13
    Options
    I keep seeing people with this problem-- I can't even imagine it! I'm getting so sick of force-feeding myself beef jerky in an attempt to get anywhere close to my recommended protein intake. From what I've read, going a bit over isn't a bad thing at all.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Going over your protein isn't a bad thing at all! The only things i try to never go over are sugar, sodium, and carbohydrates. But protein is great for weight loss. I actually use the MFP goal as a minimum.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over on protein, just watch for the sugar and fats. Protein helps maintain muscle and regain muscle whilst dieting and working out. It also helps you feel fuller for longer.

Generally lean meat is a good source of protein. Red meat is also high in protein. Also look at eating more fish. In particulary oily fish like tuna as it has lots of good fats. Nuts and cottage cheese also contain a decent bit of protein in too. Hope this helps.

*edit, sort read that wrong thought you said you never met your protein goal. Like I said though its not bad so long as you don't have a medical condition.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i try and hit 300 gram of protein a day, but im a body builder and need high levels of protein, any protein that is not used by your body will just be passed, no need to worry
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Change your settings. Protein is ridiculously low on here. I changed mine right away.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i try and hit 300 gram of protein a day, but im a body builder and need high levels of protein, any protein that is not used by your body will just be passed, no need to worry

lol

protein doesnt build muscle..calories and exercise does. this is called 'bro-science'
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Mine have been changed to 40%C 30%F and 30% protein becaus the MFP goal was too low on Protein.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

lol

protein doesnt build muscle..calories and exercise does. this is called 'bro-science'

lol takes alot more than calories and exercise, same as protein plays a big role along with rest time and a **** load of other aspects
    i wasnt telling her to eat more or less protein, just stating a fact that protein levels being high aint to much of a problem
    providing you dont have kidney issues
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

lol

Actually protein plays a very important role in muscle building.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought you needed all the aminos and such to even have the ability to grow any real muscle at all. If you eat nothing but fats and carbs, how can you add any real amount of muscle at all?
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do you mind sharing how you make it over your protein? Vegetarian sources?
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    you can adjust your settings for higher protein higher if you wish, go into goals, change goals, customise goals and then change the %s. mfp has it set quite low... 15% or something.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This is false. Extra protein your body doesn't use gets converted to glucose, then glycogen, then glycerol, then stored as fat. It does not just get passed.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought you needed all the aminos and such to even have the ability to grow any real muscle at all. If you eat nothing but fats and carbs, how can you add any real amount of muscle at all?

You need aminos, but you really only need a minimum amount of essential aminos, as long as you get those, your body can create the rest of the amino acids for muscle building out of any food you eat. As long as you make your proteins complete, you don't actually need ridiculously high amounts of protein for muscle building, the vast majority of it just gets burned off as glucose anyway, since eating very high amounts of protein would necessitate cutting back on carbs to reach those levels.

Moderate, high quality protein is just fine for muscle building.