Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Something I wish I'd known re: Polar FT7

Replies

• Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 302 Member
    For those of you in good enough shape to not be self-conscious about broadcasting your stats , bravo (or brava, as appropriate). I AM embarrassed by my total lack of fitness. Thus my reluctance to have all and sundry view my HR. Honestly, had I known about this 'feature', I might have decided on a different device, but it is too late now. I simply wanted to make others aware of something I was ignorant about so that they could make a more informed decision than I did.

As for the device being useless, anything that makes me feel like more of a tool in the gym than I already do isn't helping me, it's hindering me. The good thing is that I bought the men's version, so my hubby is now the proud owner of a slightly used FT7. ;)

ETA: I did do a considerable amount of reading before purchasing the FT7. I'm not one for impulse purchases, but none of my research mentioned how this feature would relate to the equipment brands found at some gyms, nor did the gym equipment at my gym display any mention of compatibility. I posted this so if/when others search the forums for info on this model they WILL be aware of what I had missed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I owned an FT7 for months and never had this issue.. Own the FT60 now and it's the same thing.

I think it's kind of silly that you gave it to your husband just because of that one "feature"(if you can even really call it that). Polar is one of the best brands out there for a reason and it's because they work, don't have issues, and give a pretty accurate calorie estimation. I urge you to try again... because honestly, it's not that big of a deal and if someone moves away from you then who cares.. it's their problem not yours.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Don't be embarrassed about your heart rate.
    Think about all the people at your gym. A lot of them have BEEN where you are. No-one springs from the womb with perfect cardiovascular fitness and maintains it their entire life.
    If there IS anyone in the gym that is fit enough to be in the position to judge your heartrate/you, they probably wouldn't because they're too busy getting on with it.
    No-one cares about your heartrate, they're all there to get on with it.
    YOU care about your heartrate because YOU are the one that needs to see it improving.
    Put the heart rate monitor back on.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 308 Member
    I have Polar FT4 and I've never encountered this issue also. I love my HRM it very accurate. I have tested against the Nike GPS on iPhone app and there is 5% difference. It's a great investment and I agree who cares if the person next to sees your reading. They can move.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    What brand of machines were you using that caused your heart rate to appear on neighboring machines?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    For those of you in good enough shape to not be self-conscious about broadcasting your stats , bravo (or brava, as appropriate). I AM embarrassed by my total lack of fitness. Thus my reluctance to have all and sundry view my HR. Honestly, had I known about this 'feature', I might have decided on a different device, but it is too late now. I simply wanted to make others aware of something I was ignorant about so that they could make a more informed decision than I did.

If you are working out, then your heart rate SHOULD be high. I'm still A long way from being in good shape, but when my HR gets up high my PT gets excited for me because I'm pushing myself. He doesn't think less of me. He thinks MORE of me!

I think my red, sweaty face and gasping breath is MORE embarrassing than my HR!
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 605 Member
    This was one of the reasons I bought a Polar. I love that it is compatible with all the machines at my gym. And if anyone sees my heart rate, I guess I figure they wouldn't really care? And I agree with determinedbut...every one at the gym is to work on their fitness and probably has been in your shoes at some point in time. If anything, I bet they would be silently cheering for you. Give strangers some credit...we can be nice, supportive people. Give the Polar another try. It is really motivating to see the improvement with it.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    the 'heart rate zone' things is a bit of a myth. One of those 'kind of true, but do we really have to care' things that circulates on weightloss boards.

Not quite sure why you say that.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Most of the time people don't even use the hand grips to check their HR...

I just bought a NordicTrack 5.5 elliptical in Dec and compared the HR on both, the HR displayed on my elliptical is wayyyy off compared to my HRM ..............so those reading on the machines can tend to be incorrect!
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 702 Member
    Well it sounds like there are a couple issues actually. First of all, it was kind of you to educate people about the Polar FT7 and what can happen with the machines at the gym. Actually that is the reason I bought mine because it was hooked up to the equipment, the fact that it messed with other peoples equipment just entertains me really and honestly only one person has noticed it and he is a frequent flyer at the gym and were cool so its all good. Anyway I digress...I have to say..YOU and NOT a tool. OMG..you are amazing, do you have any idea how much guts it takes to go to the gym when you are not in the shape you want to be in??? I do!! It is so hard and no one is judging you and if they are they have serious issues. So don't be so hard on yourself, you are taking steps to make yourself better and if that means to not use the HRM until you are comfortable with it fine, but no one cares about your STATS actually most people don't use them at the gym I am at, the only reason I am is to look at calories burned and to push myself harder. Just keep going to the gym and please I beg of you, never discount how amazing you are doing. I started out 150 pounds overweight, I get it, but give yourself the credit that is due. Sorry I know you only posted to educate people, but I just wanted to let you know you are doing great.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Just so you know, there are 2 different types of chest straps made by Polar. I don't know which comes standard with the FT7, but the Wear Link transmitter is coded so that your HR does not display on other machines around you at the gym. The T31 is the standard chest strap, and sounds like it must be what your HRM came with.

You can look into a different chest strap if it really bothers you.
  • sandybeachez
    sandybeachez Posts: 69 Member
    I understand how you feel. Being at a gym is intimadating to begin with. All the machines equipment and barbies walking around at the gym. If you are overweight, this can be a little nervewrecking. Congrats on being at the gym, congrats on taking the intiative, congrats on getting your monitor. Now, I think it is al about your perspective. But just think, most may not care one way or the other about your HR, but you do. Try, the suggestions of the machin locations. I know you are self onscious about the reading, but don't forget you are doing this because you made a choice to be concerned about your ell being.

Perhaps you can use it during dowtime at the gym. Congrats, on taking on this journey.
    Make your goal and stick to it, do not let hesitaton slow you down. Or HRM for this reason.

Have fun!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    @Gracie I think you may be taking it the wrong way. The true purpose of a HRM is so you are aware of where you HR is and how to best train your cardiovascular system. Yeah, yeah I know alot of people just want one to show how many calories they burn but they are missing the best NSV. The reason you work out is to get your HR up, and if your goes up right away, its ok. Enjoy this new journey into fitness and all the calories you burn. Guess what, if you are consistent within 2 weeks you notice it takes a little longer for it to go as high and you'll burn a little less calories with the same work (your body is getting more efficient). If it bothers you that much, start it in the locker room (the signal is the strongest to begin with) and either find a machine with no one else around or find the machine with a lot of other people (no one will know if it is your or someone else's). And remember, a HRM that showing a low heart rate means your not working!!! Be proud of your work !!! And if you don't want it displayed on the treadmill, throw a towel over the numbers.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Just so you know, there are 2 different types of chest straps made by Polar. I don't know which comes standard with the FT7, but the Wear Link transmitter is coded so that your HR does not display on other machines around you at the gym. The T31 is the standard chest strap, and sounds like it must be what your HRM came with.

You can look into a different chest strap if it really bothers you.

My FT7 came with the wear link transmitter as standard.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Dunno why this bothers you. It's a selling point for a lot of fitness equipment - there will be a little polar heart on the display somewhere, which tells you that it receives the signal from your watch. For things like the elliptical where you are using your arms, it gives a way to see your HR without having to move your hand off the handles to look at your wrist.
  • Ifly4free
    Ifly4free Posts: 203 Member
    My polar FT7 does the same thing. It registers the machine to the left of me and also my machine. I never really gave it a second thought though. I just dont worry about it. There's nothing I can do to stop it and not using it is just not an option.
    I just try to go where no one is next to me.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    I have the exact same HRM. It's pretty new and to be honest I haven't noticed if mine is doing that or not. I don't think I'd care either. No matter what my heartrate is. And if others can see it. I don't have tons of weight to lose but I am NOT in good cardio shape. When I try and jog my heartrate goes sky high. I'm not embarrassed by this - most people in the gym are there go get more healthy - so why would they care one bit about MY heartrate? I NEVER think bad of anyone exercising - I think the opposite - good for them they are out doing whatever exercise as I drive by in my car. Please try and tell yourself you are at the gym for yourself and yourself only - screw what anyone else might be thinking!!!
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 302 Member
    Thank you for the feedback, and your thoughts on this. As for why I'm very (or as many of you would apparently describe it, overly) self-conscious, the gym I use is a YMCA located near a college campus where the majority of users are the students who get in for free. If I were to drive to the next closest Y, is would be anywhere between 40 and 60 minute round-trip (depending on the driving conditions). If I had to drive to that other location, I'd never have time to work out. Since I use the one near my home and work, I think I use it more. However, being overweight and middle aged definitely makes one feel out of place amongst the college athletes and 20-somethings in outstanding shape. That hasn't stopped me from using it, but it does make me feel like I stick out (both literally and figuratively).

Perhaps I should not care what others think, but that doesn't change the fact that I DO feel self-conscious and having my HR displayed makes me feel ever more conspicuous.

For the posters who mentioned experiencing other machines picking up your HR, I tried again this morning (note to self: many college students DO NOT get up early to go to the gym) and was able to use a treadmill on the end of the line without problems (we hadn't redone the settings yet for hubby). I brought the one next to me online and it didn't pick up the signal - it was to my right. I'm not sure why it made a difference, but I'll be more comfortable only having my HR on my machine, and grabbing the far left machine worked!

So I haven't given up, and this won't stop me from working out. I'm the person, though, who hits their target HR when solwly walking, for crying out loud. Actually hoofing it, even for 60 seconds, puts me at the upper limit of my range. None of this will stop me from doing it, but I hope things improve. I've been at this for weeks now and I know I'm getting more fit, but I think each time I push myself harder (higher resistance, more speed, etc) so I don't see those numbers coming down (I was using the HR pads on the equipment before).
  • On a different but slightly related subject of HRM:

Heart Rate Monitors are a good investment for some. If interested, take your time looking into them. No rush. Make sure you ask lots of questions and that it will meet your needs.

In most cases it will help you work out more efficiently to meet your goals if you use it that way. Example below.

Most people DO NOT KNOW - there are different exercise zones, that you burn calories differently in the different zones, and that these zones and the ranges they represent can change depending on your resting heart rate.

Quick Example:

Zones First:
    Fat Burning Zone 60-70 percent of HRmax
    Cardio Zone 70-80 percent of HRmax
    Extreme Training 80-90 percent of HRmax

Fat Burning Zone - of the calories burned 80 percent are fat burn calories (what most people at this site want), 15 percent Carbs, 5 percent protein.

Cardio Zone - Instead of 80 percent of calories burned being from fat, only 50 percent are from fat, and 50 percent from carbs

So to work out more efficiently, if you want to burn fat weight, you want most of your workout in the fat burning zone and don't get your heart rate too high.

If your HRM figures out how much time you spend in a particular zone...then you can follow your workouts more closely and see how you are doing compared to prior workouts. Some HRMs (Garmin and Timex) keep this kind of data and Garmin even downloads it free to their website to allow you to plot your workouts and improve them. Might be a lot of work for most people, but it's available if that's what you want to do.

Better yet, some monitors calculate the zones based off of the Karvonen Formula which takes into account what your resting heart rate is to start. (ie someone with a resting heart rate of 48 (me) would have lower zones than someone with a resting heart rate of 70). In fact, the lower end of my Fat Burning Zone (FBZ) using this formula would be ((HRmax - HRrest) x 0.6) + HRrest or 119. For someone with a resting heart rate of 70 the lower end of the zone would be 128 (9 bpm higher).

THANK YOU! I was looking for information on this. :happy: