Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Something I wish I'd known re: Polar FT7

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    I wouldn't let on you're wearing a HRM. Just work out with your iPod on as if you have no idea why their machines' displays are on the fritz. If it bothers them, they'll move to other machines. Half of them will probably be thinking they're getting a great workout and getting their own heart rates up. ;)

• AND this!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I have the exact same HRM. It's pretty new and to be honest I haven't noticed if mine is doing that or not. I don't think I'd care either. No matter what my heartrate is. And if others can see it. I don't have tons of weight to lose but I am NOT in good cardio shape. When I try and jog my heartrate goes sky high. I'm not embarrassed by this - most people in the gym are there go get more healthy - so why would they care one bit about MY heartrate? I NEVER think bad of anyone exercising - I think the opposite - good for them they are out doing whatever exercise as I drive by in my car. Please try and tell yourself you are at the gym for yourself and yourself only - screw what anyone else might be thinking!!!

It's not a big issue, but it can result in worry and concern for the person next to you. I have had numerous occasions where an older member became very anxious and concerned when "his" heart rate shot up at a low level of exertion. Especially if they have had an experience with this kind of thing before, it is kind of unnerving.

If someone who knows is around, it's an easy explanation, but that's not always the case. And there is really nothing anyone can do about it, since you can't predict when it will happen.

But it does provide another perspective.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    For those of you in good enough shape to not be self-conscious about broadcasting your stats , bravo (or brava, as appropriate). I AM embarrassed by my total lack of fitness. Thus my reluctance to have all and sundry view my HR. Honestly, had I known about this 'feature', I might have decided on a different device, but it is too late now. I simply wanted to make others aware of something I was ignorant about so that they could make a more informed decision than I did.

As for the device being useless, anything that makes me feel like more of a tool in the gym than I already do isn't helping me, it's hindering me. The good thing is that I bought the men's version, so my hubby is now the proud owner of a slightly used FT7. ;)

ETA: I did do a considerable amount of reading before purchasing the FT7. I'm not one for impulse purchases, but none of my research mentioned how this feature would relate to the equipment brands found at some gyms, nor did the gym equipment at my gym display any mention of compatibility. I posted this so if/when others search the forums for info on this model they WILL be aware of what I had missed.

FYI, it is not something that is exclusive to Polar. Unless the strap has a coded transmitter, it could potentially happen with any brand.

Every machine that is "polar compatible" has a Polar receiver built into the console. The transmitters have a fairly short range, so what you are experiencing might not happen on every machine. I appreciate your concern and would encourage you to keep trying--you should be able to find some "space" of your own.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    I've actually loved this. Saves me the trouble of looking down at my watch constantly when I'm trying to keep my HR in a particular range. I can see the down side, but frankly it's been a convenience for me.
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    I have Polar FT4 and I've never encountered this issue also. I love my HRM it very accurate. I have tested against the Nike GPS on iPhone app and there is 5% difference. It's a great investment and I agree who cares if the person next to sees your reading. They can move.

I have the FT4 and like ^^^^^ I have had no issues what so ever.... I absolutely love mine and can't imagine working out without it especially since I have had heart surgery. I say you wear it and anybody else next to you can deal with it.
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    It will only happen on Nike+ equipment. Its not what the polar is doing, Its the Exercise equipment intentionaly set up too work that way. It is so you can wear your chest strap and the equipment can be set up to adjust your workout constantly based on your heartrate. The guy on the treadmill next to you can simply ignore it.

If he grabs his grips, it will ignore your polar chest strap. If he is wearing one they will crosstalk and fight. Unless the health club spread them out enough (determined by the exercise equipment manufacturer. (Yeah right- they wedge the machines together). However it does try to choose the stronger signal which should be yours since you are closer to your machine than they are.

Dont panic. All will be Ok, wear your cheststrap and dont worry about it.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Eh, mine does this too but I don't really care. The signal that the other machines pick up do not really interfere with other peoples workout. If the have an hrm or put there hands on the strips it will pick up their heartbeat. I know this because my husband also uses an hrm and he workouts next to me and we have no issues.
  • Thanks for posting OP! I'm picking up one tomorrow and was thinking of getting this one. Great info on all the replies too. At least I will know if mine does that as well and I'll be able to explain it.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Mine shows up on the two in either side of me too, oh well. I wear it anyway, but no one has ever said anything to me. If they want to know their heart rate to the point this bothers them, I would think they could wear one and it would override my numbers.
  • lhabedank
    lhabedank Posts: 149 Member
    Don't be embarrassed about your heart rate.
    Think about all the people at your gym. A lot of them have BEEN where you are. No-one springs from the womb with perfect cardiovascular fitness and maintains it their entire life.
    If there IS anyone in the gym that is fit enough to be in the position to judge your heartrate/you, they probably wouldn't because they're too busy getting on with it.
    No-one cares about your heartrate, they're all there to get on with it.
    YOU care about your heartrate because YOU are the one that needs to see it improving.
    Put the heart rate monitor back on.

totally agree with this....plus my gym is extremely busy and the equipment is well maintained but often way off when it comes to stuff like accurate heart rate readings using the grips. (there are times when my heart is pounding out of my chest and its reading 66, lol) I have an ft7 and i absolutely love it. I never really noticed if the other machines next to mine are picking up my HR and i've NEVER had anyone say anything or move to a different machine. Plus, how are they supposed to know its coming from you, could be the guy on the otherside. Also, I only wear mine occasionally when Im at the gym, I have worn it enough to have a good idea where i'm at. I use it more during outdoor runs and when I'm doing sessions with my trainer. Sorry your giving up on a great tool.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    For those of you in good enough shape to not be self-conscious about broadcasting your stats , bravo (or brava, as appropriate). I AM embarrassed by my total lack of fitness. Thus my reluctance to have all and sundry view my HR. Honestly, had I known about this 'feature', I might have decided on a different device, but it is too late now. I simply wanted to make others aware of something I was ignorant about so that they could make a more informed decision than I did.

As for the device being useless, anything that makes me feel like more of a tool in the gym than I already do isn't helping me, it's hindering me. The good thing is that I bought the men's version, so my hubby is now the proud owner of a slightly used FT7. ;)

ETA: I did do a considerable amount of reading before purchasing the FT7. I'm not one for impulse purchases, but none of my research mentioned how this feature would relate to the equipment brands found at some gyms, nor did the gym equipment at my gym display any mention of compatibility. I posted this so if/when others search the forums for info on this model they WILL be aware of what I had missed.

I don't see how someone can be embarrassed by their heart rate. Maybe some professional counselling is necessary as this seems to be part of a deeper issue.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,364 Member
    It will only happen on Nike+ equipment. Its not what the polar is doing, Its the Exercise equipment intentionaly set up too work that way. It is so you can wear your chest strap and the equipment can be set up to adjust your workout constantly based on your heartrate. The guy on the treadmill next to you can simply ignore it.

If he grabs his grips, it will ignore your polar chest strap. If he is wearing one they will crosstalk and fight. Unless the health club spread them out enough (determined by the exercise equipment manufacturer. (Yeah right- they wedge the machines together). However it does try to choose the stronger signal which should be yours since you are closer to your machine than they are.

Dont panic. All will be Ok, wear your cheststrap and dont worry about it.

it happens on LifeFitness machines, too...
  • cerelac
    cerelac Posts: 9 Member
    Bump
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    I have the Polar FT7 and love it. It does transmit to other machines sometimes, but before I had mine, I picked up other people's heart rates on the machine I was using all the time. No biggy.

I have never judged anyone by their hr. (I do judge those people who don't wipe the machines after they use them, but that's another topic :wink: ) I respect people who are actually out there and moving and I don't care how fast or slow they are going.

Good luck on your journey!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I was in a gym and every time this guy who was lifting weights came close to my treadmill, the machine would pick up his heart rate. I never thought about mine doing that (I just bought it), but will consider this when I go to the gym again.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member

Did you know that athletes actually have really low heart rates? Just having a low heart rate does not indicate that you are not fit. So don't worry about it. For all you know, the other people who see your heart rate may think you are an athlete :)

Here's an article if you want more information on heart rate differences between athletes and non-athletes.
  • Good info.

Ever think that some people might actually find it inspiring that you are getting out there and giving it your best? I certainly went through a stage where I was like don't look at me, don't judge me but you get over it over time as everyone is there for the same goal. Don't let your fear of other people's possible opinions stop you.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    I am also incredibly unfit and don't understand why this would matter to you... for one reason you know you can see the heart rate on the machine next to you right? Like when I run with hubby we are both checking out each others stats the entire time.... so if anyone cares they can already see it. Now most likely unless you came in the gym with that person they don't care at all.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    I purchased a Polar HRM last week and finally got it set up and went to the gym, all ready to see how the numbers compared to what I have been using (the equipment numbers where I put in my weight and age). Well, got on the treadmill only to see my heart rate pop up on the display of the treadmill I was on AND the one next to me. The guy on that treadmill was like "WTH?!" I basically got off, removed the HRM sensor/chest strap and did my workout. Total zero for being able to get an accurate read on calories expended.

Apparently the HRM signal is picked up automatically by certain equipment when you are within 3 feet of it. Since the treadmills, ellipticals, EVERYTHING at the gyms I go to are set really close together, the signal will always be showing up on neighboring devices. Makes this thing totally useless in the gym, for me. I know for some people this would be a boon, but not for me.

So be aware that, if you purchase a Polar FT7 (or, apparently, most Polar HRMs with chest strap) that it is entirely possible gym equipment will pick up the signal automatically. I don't know for certain that it would do this if I had started the HRM prior to entering the gym, but I think that was the way I had done it. It is convenient in one way, and annoying as h*ll in another. I want to be able to disable it somehow, but I searched and searched and can't find a solution other than to just not wear it.

Take two: late at night, the gym is really quiet so I WAS able to finally get in with the HRM on and see how things compared. I did 5 minute tests with and without to see where I was. Turned out the walking was pretty much spot-on. I tried 3mph since that was my most frequent pace. The Precor elliptical was spot-on as well, but the Lifestyle (I think that is the name) elliptical was off by about 10% (elliptical readout showed 10% higher than HRM).

This was one of the reasons that I chose the Polar FT4, because I like the treadmill and although I usually train at home, I didn't want any HRM I owned to do exactly as you h ave described, should I choose to go to the gym.

The FT4 has its own coded heart rat transmission preventing interference from other machines at the gym.

That is unfortunate regarding the FT7, what are you going to do?