Weighing everyday or once a week?

Options

Replies

• luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have become compulsive about weighing in. I weigh in every day at the same time, and then record my weight in 3 places (just in case I lose my phone or my computer crashes?? LOL) Really, seeing the numbers every day helps me identify how my body is reacting to my habits. I am trying hard to learn to read my body, so the daily imput is important for me.
  • ciw15
    ciw15 Posts: 5
    Options
    Im a little OCD so i weigh every morning!
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a new with all of this (a week in), I weigh myself twice a week usually because the weight-loss (for me anyways) at this point is pretty fast seeing as I'm changing my diet to eat better as well as adding exercise which was pretty limited for me before. I figure once I'm more into a pattern of eating and exercising then I'll probably weigh myself once a week. More than that would cause me to be bummed out if I were to gain any weight for any reason. At least once or twice a week there is a definite progress that keeps me motivated and feeling positive about my progress. :)

17709945.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    :smile:
    Weigh everyday. It helps you to understand how your food intake causes weight fluctuations.

100% agree...I try to weigh myself daily as this will show whether my intake was too high the day before, too low or just perfect. I also learn to decrease calories and take other healthy alternatives especially in attempting to reach closer to your goal weight, such as 5 pounds closer to your goal weight. :flowerforyou:

I have to say when TOM is here it is a bit of frustrating, best strategy is to drink lots of water those few days!:sad:
  • Aoife_Eile
    Aoife_Eile Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh-in once a week (first thing on Tuesday mornings). When I pass the halfway point I'll change that to twice a week.

Past experience has taught me that nothing good somes of weighing in every day. Any bad result, be it a gain or the scale not budging, can be really disheartening if you let it.
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    I have become compulsive about weighing in. I weigh in every day at the same time, and then record my weight in 3 places (just in case I lose my phone or my computer crashes?? LOL) Really, seeing the numbers every day helps me identify how my body is reacting to my habits. I am trying hard to learn to read my body, so the daily imput is important for me.

I log my daily weigh-ins in a small calendar to see the great accomplishments and see visual progress!
  • Ayeeemeh
    Ayeeemeh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on the weeks in between my paychecks so i get rewarded like every week ;P
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I check every morning.... Don't know what is better necessarily...
  • DinaRobin
    DinaRobin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Saturday morning and if I've lost, I take that. If not, I weigh again Sunday and take that.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I was weighing daily and recording once a week. That didn't work for me, because then if I lost a lot in the beginning of the week I would tend to be more relaxed about my workouts and foods because I knew I'd already have a loss to record. Also I ate worse on the weekends because I knew I had all week to burn the extra cals.

Now I weigh in everyday and record my losses right then. With every morning being weigh in it holds me more accountable. Also it helps me be more aware of when I am losing and gaining... and when I need to change up my routine or up my workout. When you only weigh in once a week you could go all week not knowing you are gaining... and had you known ahead of time you may have been able to stop it before it happened.

**It really comes down to what works for you. While many say not to weigh daily because it will stress you out. I personally am the opposite; "not knowing" whats going on with my weight would bother me. I like to stay aware of whats going on with my body at all times.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Morning and night for me ... but I only worry about the morning one. I consider the daily weight to be better for tracking (and it looks better on my graph). I weigh in once a week for the Aussie group but I record any changes on MFP weigh in - up or down.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it on Sunday morning.

I find it far more motivating to see my weight on a daily basis. If it's gone up by a couple of hundred grams it motivates me to work harder (even though I KNOW it's likely just water weight) and if it's gone down I'm motivated to keep doing what I'm doing.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning & then log once a week on Saturdays.

I do the same.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What works for me:

I weigh myself each day in the morning, but I don't freak out about fluctuations.

If my weight is a little down I say "YAY!" and it motivates me to have another good day. If my weight is up I say "darn it, knew I shouldn't have eaten that XYZ yesterday!" and it motivates me to have a better day today. So either way: win/win.

I record the total on mfp each day that it goes down. But if I go up a little I don't tend to record it right away, not unless it stays that way for more than a week then I record it to keep myself accountable.

That way if I gain just a little then lose it again, my mfp friends don't see that as a "loss" in my feed. Because, to me, little bits that I've had to re-lose are not a real loss.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly. Here's why. I found that if I weigh in daily, it's too much to be able to figure things out. Your weight flucuates so much from day to day. But, week to week gives you good data points. I make it a point to weigh in on Wednesday. That's a good middle of the week time for me. If I see it went up, I can make adjustments over the next week to bring it down. But, if I went up from yesterday, I dont' really know what that means. At all.

Ditto that. I have official "Weigh In Wednesday", which conveniently follows "Taco Tuesday". :ohwell:
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it on Sunday morning.

I find it far more motivating to see my weight on a daily basis. If it's gone up by a couple of hundred grams it motivates me to work harder (even though I KNOW it's likely just water weight) and if it's gone down I'm motivated to keep doing what I'm doing.

^This...and I always use the scale at my gym, and always after I am finished working out. If I know I won't be going to workout on Sunday morning for some reason I log it on Saturday.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, in the morning. I use the weight tracking method used the "The Hacker's Diet" -- an exponentially smoothed moving average with 10% smoothing. I only log my trend weight, not the highly variable raw data.
  • feb06momma
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week. I get too nutty about the scale and down if its not moving "fast enough." I literally put my scale away in a closet and don't look at it except for Sunday mornings.
  • hallensd
    hallensd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning just out of curiousity but only log it once a week (Saturdays).
  • psbfat
    Options
    I weigh-in every Monday morning. Before that, I would always step on the scale when I go into the bathroom. It was starting to drive me crazy. So I put the scale in my closet and get it out once a week. I want to feel like I am losing w/o relying on the scale so much.