Losing Inches VS Weight Loss: Which Do You Like Better?

Options
I prefer inches to weight loss. Scales aren't accurate because they weigh everything: organs, water weight (ugh), fecal matter, etc..
I mean, sucks right? I just measure myself with a piece of long string because I don't have one of those tape measure things and not planning on getting one. It's quite easier because you get get around your waist without the freezing cold metal.

Which do you like better? Weight loss or losing inches?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I like to go by what I see in the mirror or in pictures. I just gained 10lbs and am MUCH happier with my body. The scale means nothing.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've never measured myself because I don't have a cloth measuring tape and I keep forgetting to get one. I do, however, have yarn! That's a brilliant idea! Thanks. I know that's not what you intended but the idea came at just the right time. I was even texting my neighbor to see if she had a cloth one. I gave up on trying to remember to get one when I'm out.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've never measured myself because I don't have a cloth measuring tape and I keep forgetting to get one. I do, however, have yarn! That's a brilliant idea! Thanks. I know that's not what you intended but the idea came at just the right time. I was even texting my neighbor to see if she had a cloth one. I gave up on trying to remember to get one when I'm out.

You're welcome, haha. To measure the length, just use a ruler! I just mark it with a Sharpie marker and then throw it away and get a new one for next time.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Depends on the body composition. I'm still at the "both" stage. Maybe about 80% inches, 20% scale at this point.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Primary: Weight
    Secondary: Inches (Body Fat %)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    unless you write your weight on your forehead with a sharpie, nobody know what you weight....but they can see how tiny your *kitten* is gtting. I would choose inches over the scale any time.
  • roddi7997
    roddi7997 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Losing inches over pounds any day...although doing both together is ideal
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    unless you write your weight on your forehead with a sharpie, nobody know what you weight....but they can see how tiny your *kitten* is gtting. I would choose inches over the scale any time.

But when I'm climbing the hills on my bike, my bike knows. :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't give a flying poop what the scale says anymore. I'm currently about 133 pounds, wearing the jeans I bought a few months ago at 125 pounds, and they're falling off my hips.
  • fitag
    fitag Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I prefer inches to weight. I have a muscular frame and so I might be the same weight or slightly lighter (not much) I'm a lot smaller and tighter/firmer and can fit into my "skinny" clothes. Also my BMI is not a true representation of my body composition because of my muscular frame. According to the BMI I am over weight and obese but if you look at me its obvious that Im not. Im not skinny or slim Im just chunky/muscley :)

.....so inches for me!!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I haven't been measuring inches (kind of a pain compared to stepping on a scale), but I'd gladly take no weight loss at all and being the size I want to be. Theoretically that'd mean I was pretty muscular, so perfect!
  • AlexJourneyHall
    AlexJourneyHall Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Inches over scale, as my friend told me " no one will care what you weigh if youre sexy"
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Inches for sure! I don't care how much I weigh as long as im looking sexy xD
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself at all...Just take measurements and go by how my clothes fit :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, tbh.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I used to only care about weight – I would do anything to make the number on the scale go down.
    But now I like inches. I do still keep track of my weight, but not religiously – I weigh in every week or so, and I try not to stress over it. I pay more attention to my measurements, my body fat percentage, and my fitness goals. I think that those better reflect my overall health.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For me, I like both. I think the scale gives me a more immediate reaction, but when the scale stops moving its great to know that inches are being lost. I used to only weigh, but my coworker talked me into measuring and what a difference. :-)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    inches. skinny fat is just as bad as regular old fat
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I prefer measuring the inches rather than the scale.

Like you said the scale factors everything in, when all we are looking for is a slimmer waist, hips, arms, ect.

That and the number on the scale may go up, because you are building muscle!

Inches over everything! :)