Losing Inches VS Weight Loss: Which Do You Like Better?

Options

Replies

• MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I prefer WEIGHT! I have lower back problems so a LIGHTER me would help relieve pain. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of at...I just need to have less of me in the MUSCULAR form ;-)
  • shaeni1221
    Options
    I know I should be more concerned about inches...and I am happy when I lose inches. But I still need the scale to be at a certain number to be happy. I'm trying to break myself of that though.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    Definitely inches, and I have many friend who don't understand that.
    It is frustrating to explain it over and over again, the closer you get to your goal the less you should be concerned about weight and the more about a higher lean body mass % and lower body fat %. The higher the lean body mass the more muscle, and the more muscle the more your body will burn at rest and there for you can eat more with less chances of gaining the weight back.
    I weight a lot more than my friends who are my size and even though I am on a diet I eat more because I can!! I have more muscle mass!! I love it and don't care much that I weight more.
    I am 5'4" weigh 175 lbs and wear a size 8 US jean. My BF% is 22% and I eat about 2000 cals per day to lose. I am strong, can lift heavy (250lbs leg press, 90lbs bench), look and feel amazing!!
    It is important to get away from the scale the closer you get to your goal weight or goal size and make sure to maintain muscle mass while losing fat. If you are doing it rite you will lose pounds very slowly and inches quickly :flowerforyou:
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Well right now when I currently still weigh more than twice what I should, I prefer weight. I'm sure that once I start getting closer to my goal weight that I will prefer inches over weight. I just took my inches last night and needless to say, I am NOT impressed. Haha
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The mirror always wins for me. I don't care that much if my pant size or shirt size increases a little or if I gain weight its all a matter of perception really weight does not tell how much muscle or fat you got.

I gained 40 lbs when I lost 100 lbs to get down to 140 lbs. I am two sizes smaller at 195 lbs then when I was at 140 with an additional 40 lbs on me. It sounds weird but over the past six years this is whats happened.

Muscle is king!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Inches for sure.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I like seeing the number on the scale go down, but I know losing inches means more than losing weight. I gained 3lbs this week, but still managed to lose 0.5 inches from each of my thighs. I gained, yet my body still shrank. I've decided to stay away from the scale for a while and focus more on the measurements.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps telling me that inches matter more. Well at 108kg/238lbs I say crap. I need weight off more and inches will come with that.

I AM doing a strength training program and I will stick to it (NROLFW) but I'm terrified it will slow or stall my weight loss down. I am still obese and need to get that scale number down. When I'm closer to my goal weight I will be more worried about inches.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Inches!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I prefer inches to weight loss. Scales aren't accurate because they weigh everything: organs, water weight (ugh), fecal matter, etc..
    I mean, sucks right? I just measure myself with a piece of long string because I don't have one of those tape measure things and not planning on getting one. It's quite easier because you get get around your waist without the freezing cold metal.

Which do you like better? Weight loss or losing inches?

I like being able to buy smaller clothes, so I like losing inches.

And BTW, tape measures used for construction are made of metal. Measuring tapes used for sewing and taking a person's measurements are made from vinyl or some kind of coated cloth. They're not freezing cold.
  • suzzee2000
    suzzee2000 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to only care about weight and my life was controlled by the scale. BUT, not anymore!! I have learned it's the inches that really matter! I have on a shirt right now that 3 weeks ago was too tight! I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks but the shirt fits great today....That's inches from working out! Yipppeee!
    I'm so glad everyone is sharing what 's going on with the inches! It's amazing!
  • yag1630
    Options
    I prefer losing inches than weight.

70% of losing inches and 30% weight loss
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps telling me that inches matter more. Well at 108kg/238lbs I say crap. I need weight off more and inches will come with that.

I AM doing a strength training program and I will stick to it (NROLFW) but I'm terrified it will slow or stall my weight loss down. I am still obese and need to get that scale number down. When I'm closer to my goal weight I will be more worried about inches.

I started at 235lb and lost 20lb september to january (before I started exercising)... I started at the gym just over a month ago doing circuit weights and C25K, I have lost 3 inches off my waist, 2 inches off my hips, an inch off each upper arm, and 1.5in off each thigh.
    I have lost 4lb since joining the gym.
    Even if weight is your priority, please measure yourself. If I wasn't measuring I would be so discouraged by the tiny weight loss that I wouldn't even want to carry on.
    I'm stronger and fitter than I have ever been in my life, I may still have fat to lose, but I see it this way... I am building the gorgeous toned physique I have always wanted... When all this fat melts off me, that's what will be left over!

I am still obese at 213, but I can now run
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Inches... because "I lost 11 pounds since last March" doesn't sound like much.

But how it looks is much different.

11.jpg
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Weight. Size-wise, I am where I want to be, if I was smaller I wouldn't ever find clothes to fit, but I like feeling lighter.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i lost a whole three lbs in a month but i lost two pant sizes. i will take inches any day.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    Plastic measuring tapes can be had dirt cheap. Just get a basic sewing kit at walmart and there will be one, and every home needs a basic sewing kit. You never know when something you really need will need a quick fix. That and it is more accurate than the old yarn and ruler method.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Slowly giving in to inches over weight. My scale is kinda stuck right now, actually up a bit. However I wore pants yesterday that 2 weeks ago gave me muffin top and I couldn't sit (with any level of comfort anyway). So the scale logically means nothing, just trying to get past the mental part of that number on the scale being everything.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I prefer inches to weight. I have a muscular frame and so I might be the same weight or slightly lighter (not much) I'm a lot smaller and tighter/firmer and can fit into my "skinny" clothes. Also my BMI is not a true representation of my body composition because of my muscular frame. According to the BMI I am over weight and obese but if you look at me its obvious that Im not. Im not skinny or slim Im just chunky/muscley :)

.....so inches for me!!

This is me too. I prefer inches, but I do weigh myself.
  • daewynn
    Options
    Slowly giving in to inches over weight. My scale is kinda stuck right now, actually up a bit. However I wore pants yesterday that 2 weeks ago gave me muffin top and I couldn't sit (with any level of comfort anyway). So the scale logically means nothing, just trying to get past the mental part of that number on the scale being everything.

Same for me. But I want to add I'm loving the way I feel and I'm feeling a lot lighter and healthier than the scale or even the inches say!