Healthy homemade chinese food recipes?

Options

Replies

• amyvandyke
    Options
    I highly recommend the recipe database on eatingwell.com I love their site! Lots of healthy remakes!
  • amyvandyke
    Options
    bump
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    So many good ideas!!
  • MrsAngelique
    MrsAngelique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    :love: Thanks!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    bump. I like all of these. :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My version of a "healthy" fried rice recipe:

Ingredients:
    4 cups cooked brown rice (I use 2 bags of the Trader Joe's frozen brown rice)
    1 bag mixed veggies (I usually use the bird's eye mixed veggies with corn/carrots/peas/asparagus)
    2 eggs
    Splash of milk (your choice, to mix with the eggs)
    3 Chinese sausage (or you can do some breaded chicken breasts - up to you to determine how much protein you want in this)
    Sesame seed oil
    Soy sauce (to taste, optional)

Directions:
    1. Heat rice, veggies separately and set aside (I usually start microwaving these in the beginning so everything is ready at once).
    2. Slice up chinese sausage into thin rounds and heat over medium to medium-low heat in a large saute pan until browned and crispy on outside. Remove sausage rounds, drain excess oil from saute pan.
    3. Mix 2 eggs with splash of milk, add salt and pepper to your preference and scramble.
    4. In large saute pan, combine rice, veggies, eggs, sausage (or chicken). Mix well over low heat, drizzle with sesame oil to taste.

This usually makes about 6 servings worth, and will vary a bit depending on what sort of proteins you use. It isn't nearly as greasy as normal ones and I like the options of mixing it up with veggies or whatever you want. Has whole grains and plenty of protein. Enjoy!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this marinade recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-teriyaki-chicken/ I use small pieces of meat, then serve with heaps of broccoli and a little bit of rice, and it's delicious!
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make my baked rangoons by taking spring/egg roll wrappers and cutting them in 4's (to make them smaller obviously LOL)....I get the Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese Spread and put a bit of that on each wrapper then seal it. Bake it until they get golden brown. I have never brushed them with anything, though I may try it next time. Super delicious!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to try this yet but sounds great. I got it off this site awhile back.

Orange Chicken
    This one is a little time consuming, but so worth it. I like it better than the Orange Chicken from our local Chinese restaurant.

½ cup water
    1/3 cup orange juice
    ½ cup splenda
    2 Tbsp splenda brown sugar
    3 Tbsp rice vinegar
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    3 Tbsp lemon juice
    ¼ tsp ground ginger
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

1 ¼ cut up chicken
    1 large egg
    ¼ cup flour
    2 Tbsp oil
    Chopped red pepper
    Chopped onion
    2 Tbsp cornstarch
    2 Tbsp water

In saucepan, whisk together 1st column of ingredients. Bring to boil.

In small bowl, mix 2 Tbsp water and cornstarch. Whisk into sauce. Boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat and simmer.

Roll chicken in egg and flour, add to heated oil in skillet (4-5 min). Add chicken to starch. Add red pepper and onion to pan and cook till soft. Add chicken and sauce.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Baked Egg Rolls

1 14oz Dole Classic Coleslaw Mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
    6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
    1 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
    Egg roll wrappers

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add garlic and onion. Saute for about 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add coleslaw mix and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes. Do not let it brown, it will have a burnt taste. Add in veggie broth and chicken; reduce heat to low and let simmer until all liquid is gone. Stir in soy sauce. Remove from heat.

Place the egg roll wrapper so that it looks like a diamond. Add 1/4 cup cabbage mixture to each egg roll, placing it in the middle in between the East and West points leaving some space around the edge. Bring up the South corner and tuck end under filling. Bring the East and West sides towards the middle, they should be just about touching. Then bring the North corner down and wrap it around the egg roll. Place seam side on pan. It's not necessary to seal the edges since you are baking, but you can dip your finger in water and spread it over the seam if you wish. Repeat until you've used all the cabbage mixture (I got 17 out of it).

Spray egg rolls with cooking spray (this will help them brown up) Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until deep golden brown.

Makes 17, each serving is 1 each
    Per Serving
    Calories 88, Fat 1, Carbs 14, Fiber 1, Protein 5

Sweet and Sour Sauce

1/3 cup white or rice vinegar (Note: rice vinegar gives better results)
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 4 teaspoons water

Preparation:

Mix the vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce together and bring to a boil in a small pot. Mix together the cornstarch and water, add to the other ingredients and stir to thicken.

(If desired, you can add 1 green pepper, cut into chunks, and pineapple chunks as desired after adding the cornstarch. For a thicker sauce, increase the cornstarch to 4 teaspoons while keeping the water constant.)

t1dQe.jpg
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump!!
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I love fried rice, but I know how bad it is so I've been eating Cauliflower fried "rice".

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp soy sauce (Reduced sodium)
    1 large egg
    1 cup cauliflower, grated
    2 tsps garlic
    1/4 cup chopped scallions
    Directions1.Grate the cauliflower using either the largest holes on a hand grater or with the grating blade in food processor. The results should almost resemble the size of cooked white rice.
    2.Heat oil to cover the bottom of a small skillet on medium-high.
    3.Quickly stir-fry the white of the onions and the garlic. Watch closely so as not to burn.
    4.Add the cauliflower; fry about 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to color a bit. Don't overcook or it might get mushy.
    5.Stir in the soy sauce. Push the cauliflower to one side of the pan; pour in the beaten egg.
    6.Lightly scramble the egg briefly then mix into the cauliflower.
    7.Add the green onion tops and toss.

I added veggies to it, as well as a shredded chicken breast and it was fantastic!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • snc0225
    snc0225 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you haven't visited her site before, visit www.skinnytaste.com for a plethora, yes plethora, of healthy, easy meals. I found a recipe early today that fits what you're looking for : Asian Edamame "Fried" Rice. I can't wait to try it myself.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/asian-edamame-fried-rice.html
  • lyndseykocher
    lyndseykocher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bumpies
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump : )
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I made this a while back. My hubby and I both liked it!

Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

The chicken coating:

3-4 boneless chicken breasts
    salt + pepper
    1 cup cornstarch
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup canola oil

The sweet and sour sauce:

3/4 cup sugar
    4 tbs ketchup
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1 tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp garlic salt

Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Rinse your chicken breasts in water and then cut into cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the eggs. Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through. Place the chicken in a 9x13 greased baking dish. Mix all of your sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken. Bake for one hour and during the baking process you will need to turn the chicken every 15 minutes.

http://life-as-a-lofthouse.blogspot.com/2010/09/baked-sweet-and-sour-chicken-with-fried.html