Healthy homemade chinese food recipes?

Options

Replies

• Racheyj76
    Racheyj76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES! THIS post is just what I needed! Thanks Craving Chinese bad..
  • mirfan25
    mirfan25 Posts: 45
    Options
    bump!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Szechuan green beans (old weight watchers recipe)

2 servings (use low sodium soy sauce to reduce sodium)

Ingredients
    3 Tbl soy sauce
    1 Pound green beans
    6 cloves garlic
    1 Tbl sesame oil
    1 tsp sugar
    Directions
    1. boil green beans for 4-5 minutes
    2. add garlic to pan, then drained beans
    3. add other ingredients and stir fry for appx 2 minutes til liquid is cooked down and beans are coated.

Add red pepper flakes for a spicier dish

Calories 165 Fat 7.1 Sat fat 1 Trans fat 0 Chol 0 Sodium 1368 Carb 23 fiber 8 sugar 5.7 protein 6.2 vit A 31% Calcium 10% Vit C 66% Iron 16 %
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Gotta check these recipes out. :drinker:
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Veggie potstickers - makes 24

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    1 head Napa cabbage, finely shredded
    2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    1 medium carrot, grated on finest holes of a box grater
    24 wonton wrappers

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until leeks begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cabbage, vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger and cook, stirring, until cabbage is soft, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in the carrot. Allow the filling to cool.
    Transfer cabbage mixture to a mixing bowl and work together until fully incorporated. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
    To make the potstickers, lay a wonton wrapper on the work surface and put about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center. Dip your finger in a little water and wet the edges of the wonton wrapper; this will help the potsticker seal when cooking. Bring the outside edges of the wonton wrapper together over the filling and press it together to form a pouch. Continue with the remaining wrappers and filling.
    To cook the potstickers, heat the remaining oil in a very large skillet over high heat. Place all of the potstickers upright in the pan and cook, without disturbing them, until browned on the bottom, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to the pan and immediately cover. Allow the potstickers to steam for about 3 minutes, then remove the skillet lid. Continue cooking until the water is completely evaporated.
    Transfer to a platter and serve with the dipping sauce.

Asian Dipping Sauce:
    1/4 cup light soy sauce
    1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    1/2 lemon, zested
    Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Bump bump badump!!!! Yum!
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Great ideas - this is my weakness too. Thanks guys!!
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump.... love potstickers :)
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LessLikeHer
    Options
    YES! Bumping. We love chinese and eat it a good bit. :)
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Bumpin this one for sure!!! Been craving chinese food for weeks.
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Veggie potstickers - makes 24

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    1 head Napa cabbage, finely shredded
    2 teaspoons soy sauce
    1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    1 medium carrot, grated on finest holes of a box grater
    24 wonton wrappers

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook until leeks begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cabbage, vinegar, soy sauce, and ginger and cook, stirring, until cabbage is soft, about 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in the carrot. Allow the filling to cool.
    Transfer cabbage mixture to a mixing bowl and work together until fully incorporated. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
    To make the potstickers, lay a wonton wrapper on the work surface and put about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center. Dip your finger in a little water and wet the edges of the wonton wrapper; this will help the potsticker seal when cooking. Bring the outside edges of the wonton wrapper together over the filling and press it together to form a pouch. Continue with the remaining wrappers and filling.
    To cook the potstickers, heat the remaining oil in a very large skillet over high heat. Place all of the potstickers upright in the pan and cook, without disturbing them, until browned on the bottom, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to the pan and immediately cover. Allow the potstickers to steam for about 3 minutes, then remove the skillet lid. Continue cooking until the water is completely evaporated.
    Transfer to a platter and serve with the dipping sauce.

Asian Dipping Sauce:
    1/4 cup light soy sauce
    1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    1/2 lemon, zested
    Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Definitely makin this one this weekend!!! I'm so hungry now!!! Gonna go eat my toast...
  • angelswank
    angelswank Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CarrieR3
    CarrieR3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump that is one of my weakness too
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Not to be a bumper, but I am very interested in this thread but I'm at work, so "Bump!"
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For a fake general tso chicken, I grill up some chicken breast, blanch some broccoli and throw it in a frying pan with just a drop or two of sesame oil, scallions and a couple tablespoons of LeAnn Chin's Peking sauce. Yummy stuff!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas, will check out some of these recipes later.

My contribution... Oriental Chicken Salad

2 cups romaine lettuce
    3 oz cooked chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
    cucumber, chopped
    carrot, chopped or shredded
    1/2 cup chopped apples
    2 tsp rice vinegar
    2 tsp sesame oil
    honey
    ginger (fresh or dried, just add to taste)

Build salad by placing lettuce on plate or large bowl. Top with the chicken, veggies and apple.
    Mix rice vinegar and sesame oil, add honey and ginger and blend in well (I use a small covered rubbermaid container and shake vigorously). Pour dressing onto salad.

There are many variations to this salad:
    -you can do beef instead of chicken,
    -you can change out the veggies, sometimes I add pea pods
    -you can change out the fruit, sometimes I do mandarin oranges, and I have even tried it with a fresh plum.
    -If you want, you can add some sliced almonds, but my recommendation is to cut back on the sesame oil to adjust the fat, if you are watching your fat grams.
  • sparkdoc
    sparkdoc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump:smile: