Make me like oatmeal!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• teris_in_wa
    Options
    I have tried oatmeal so many times over the years with little success -- however... lately I found two things that I love and have really boosted my weight loss journey...
    1. Trader Joe's Frozen steel-cut oatmeal... It's $1.69 for two servings, individually wrapped, and 150 calories. I add a serving of brown sugar and it such a low cal, healthy-packed breakfast! I also find it actually keeps me satisfied longer (unlike the instant oatmeal packets) They are so easy to throw in a bag and fix at work (and with me it's alllll about the easy!) I like the flavor and feel of the steel-cut oats rather than the soupy-mush of instant.
    2. Starbucks perfect oatmeal - again- I add just the brown sugar... I know it's not the best add... but that and my coffee help curb my sweet tooth while keeping me under a 300 calorie breakfast and I'm satisfied for several hours... big news for me!!

I hope these help -- I, too, kept hearing about how GREAT oatmeal is and just Didn't Get It until I tried these two solutions (I am curious about the McD's version but hasn't been in my morning routine thus far - I do highly recommend the Trader Joe's oats...if that's an option)

Good Luck!!
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    How about Bircher muesli? A bit different in texture to cooked oats. Some people love it and some hate it, but here's one recipe:

•1 cup rolled oats
    •1/4 cup fresh apple juice
    •1/2 cup yoghurt
    •a sprinkling of ground nutmeg (optional)
    •a sprinkling of ground cinnamon (optional but goes very nicely with the apple)
    •1/2 Granny Smith apple, grated (skin on) to serve

Method:
    Put the rolled oats, juice, yoghurt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir together. Chill overnight, covered.

The following day, stir in the grated apple.
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You can try frying oatmeal in a little oil for a savory dish and add egg, bacon, rosemary, peas etc. The oatmeal gets nice and crispy like the rice in a paella.
  • frogprincess_tx
    Options
    I have to agree with the person who said "If you don't like it don't eat it. Find other heart healthy alternatives." I would rather have something I like then have to doctor it up to make me eat it, no matter how good it is for me.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Do you like smoothies? Then you can put in you breakfast smoothie and never know.
    I am currently having a green smoothie made with

1 cup Kale
    1 cup vanilla Soy milk
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree
    1/4 cup dry rolled oats
    pumpkin pie spice

Cal 380 carb 44g fat 9g prot 38g chol 0mg sodium 470mg sugar 16g fib 10g

You get your fiber, whole grain and two serving of veggies with out even knowing it! The color is strange from the kale but you can not taste it. You can change it up if you want and use spinach or carrots etc or substitute the fruit of your choice(fresh or frozen). You can change up the protein powder flavor or the dairy type and spices too. The oatmeal makes it thick like a milkshake so you don't to add ice especially if you use refrigerated dairy and frozen fruit. You can always mix fruit and veggie in this as well if you don't want to hide two veggies!
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Starbuck perfect oatmeal is well, perfect! I add all the toppings, the dried fruit, the nuts, and brown sugar. YUM! Just don't over do it on the amount of water. Runny oatmeal=YUCK.
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is what I just tried this AM. It was FANTASTIC!!

1/2 cup rolled oats (or regular oatmeal)
    1/2 cup Almond Milk
    1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
    1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice

Left it in the fridge overnight, and it was FANTASTIC!!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    theres some great suggestions on here, im going to have to try the PB one tomorrow!! I make mine with slightly less milk so its not runny, I cant stand runny oatmeal!

My favourite at the minute is banoffee - add 1 banana and a splash of caramel coffee syrup
    I also like:
    Apple pie - 1 grated apple and sprinkle of cinammon
    Pear & Berries - 1 grated pear and dried strawberries
    Brown sugar & nuts
    Plain with golden syrup
  • Babs0077
    Babs0077 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! So many great ideas!!!

You all rock!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge oatmeal lover either, but sometimes I put uncooked quick oats into my smoothies. It adds texture and I don't mind the taste of it. I learned that from a recipe here on the forums, I had never thought of doing that before! It's something different at least if you don't like the gooey-ness of oatmeal, which is why I don't eat it much.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Adding on another recommendation for steel-cut oats. Steel cut with a little cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins or cranberry. Mmmmmmmm!
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK (use unsweetend vanilla) is the key to make amazing oatmeal. I'll NEVER go back to making plain oatmeal. I make several servings at once and then re-heat it in the morning for a quick on-the-go breakfast

2 cups rolled oats (NOT instant)
    3 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Bring almond milk to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the oats and salt, bring the mixture back to a boil. Reduce heat and cook uncovered over medium/low heat until the liquid is absorbed and the oats are thick and creamy.

Then you can add anything else you want...cinnamon, raisins/cranberries/dried cherries, nuts, berries, etc.
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The texture is different depending on which kind of oats you use and how you cook it. Quick-cooking or instant oats in the microwave turn oatmeal into an unappetizing, gummy mass.

I buy bulk rolled oats and cook them on the stove. 1 cup of water, boiling, with 1/2 cup of oats, cook for 5 minutes. It has a nice, chewy texture and you can see the individual oats instead of a bowl of mush.

You can add whatever flavors you like to it which is the best thing about cooking plain oatmeal. I use 2 tsp of brown sugar and some cinnamon.
  • jodi_arch
    jodi_arch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ever try put oatmeal in a blender to make it similar to a powder mixture and put in things like the dry ingredients for pan fry pork chops butterfly , smoothies or other things while your cooking. You don't want to put to much otherwise you can taste the oatmeal more.
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like PB&J but don't eat anymore since I am doing very little bread and sugar. So, I started putting 1/2 tblsp of natural creamy PB and 1/2 - 1 tblsp natural preserves (I have used strawberry and blackberry) in my oatmeal. Sometimes I also add 1/4 cup of almond milk. Oh and I use 1/2 cup plain old fashioned oats with 1 cup of water. I have been eating this every morning this week and it tastes so good to me.