starting C25K tomorrow! =)

Options
Right the other day i found an app on my ipod touch which is the official C25K programe. I looked through it and thought this is awsome! The woman speaks on the headphones to say like 'jog' or 'walk' etc and i thought that would be good! soo you can just stick the ipod in your pocket (or in my case - my bra!:laugh:) and just do what the woman tells you, instead of having to keep check of the ipod! :)

anyway - i would like opinions from people who are currently doing the C25K programe, or who have completed it! Have you lost any weight or inches with it? does it help you build up endurance to be able to run for many miles?

Thanks in advanced x

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this as well, wish i had info on it! All i have is the iphone, without any music on it, i wanna know how it works. Is there music between the walk and jog/run? Ive heard great sucsessstories on it tho!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I would love to do this as well, wish i had info on it! All i have is the iphone, without any music on it, i wanna know how it works. Is there music between the walk and jog/run? Ive heard great sucsessstories on it tho!

go to app store on your iphone and type in C25K. it should come up! well install that and your ready to go! no there isnt any music on it, just the woman speaking, but you can add your own playlist if you want to! Ill be doing it without a playlist tho, because i do my jogging in the dark it can be quite dangerous running with music in headphones:laugh:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, that's awesome that you're doing this program.

I know when I started running, the weight did come off a little faster, but I noticed the 'toning up' effects more quickly. I run several times a week now and love it (most days, anyway).
  • Reckabek
    Options
    Yes indeed! I also am worried about my week ankles and knees. I dont know why, like obsessivly worried. I really really wanna learn to run, cause u can burn so much doing it and i read people love it! But if my ankle goes, im screwed doing any excersise. What so ever! Idk why this is scaring me. I guess maybe before i lost my weight, my ankles gave out alot and i did alot of falling, so i feel it will happen running now! Idk...wierd problem of mine...lol....how much is the app?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the smart phone app when I did C25K so I found a podcast that I liked and downloaded it to my mp3 player and used that. Either I held my mp3 player or put it in my pocket. I wasn't running real fast, so it wasn't much of a hindrance to me. It is a great program and I hope you find much success with it! Just try not to say "I can't" and make a goal to run a 5K as soon as you can!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    eek! I am starting tomorrow too!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 4th week of c25k. I've never been a runner, but wanted to see if I could do it, so this is a challenge to myself. I downloaded a free app to my phone, bought an armband to hold the phone so I can hear the cues to run/walk, and went for it! So far so good - I have made it through each level so far and plan to keep following the program. Some days the run feels better than others, but I go slow and steady and get it done - and feel great that I did it! At some point I may add music to the program (I have lots of music on my phone, it's my ipod), but I usually concentrate on run & being aware of my surroundings - maybe once I'm through the program & can run the distance without the run & walk cues, I'll make myself a nice running playlist as a reward. :smile:
  • lissrn
    lissrn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im starting tomorrow too! Add me to your list if you want support and I could use it too.
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I plan to start this too, as i need a challenge and need to get back into regular exercise again. As after being ill ive slacked! :0(
    Ive done this before but lasted two days as i,m not the best of runners.I feel like a herd of elephants when i run down the road :0P
    But will ignore this silly notion and just stick with it :0)
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    The program is awesome. The first time I tried it I got through Week 6 and quit. Now I'm on Week 8...i'm struggling a little bit but it's not due to being physically unable to run, it's all mental for me.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 3 now... I have had to repeat some (I did week 3 day 1 twice before I could complete both 3 min runs and I redid all of week 1 as well. I did week 2 normally)

My husband is at the end of week one, I got him to start after I had done it for 2 weeks...
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That's where I started!! It's a great way to get you going. A year later, I'm now in training for my first half! Good luck!
  • TopazCarey
    Options
    I just started this past week. Love it so far. Obviously haven't seen results yet, but I always feel great afterwards.
  • Reckabek
    Options
    I have to wonder how u would track this on MFP.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Week 5 Run 1 - I'm totally loving C25K - and I've never been a runner before.

Follow the program and know that you can get through it... you'll see a lot of improvement in the first few weeks in your stamina and breathing. After that it is incremental improvement and a mental challenge... but, yes. If you follow the program, you will be able accomplish those running milestones that are in the later weeks.

Enjoy. You've made a great choice to start a C25K program... have fun with it.

Ted
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just started it last Tuesday, so have only completed week 1 and start week 2 tomorrow. I hate hate hate running, so this is my Internal Challenge to myself. I like the program so far but have not noticed any changes....which kind of makes sense since each week is only 3x./wk if I understand it correctly. But I am looking forward to making it through and completing it. Good Luck to you all!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I've finished this, I hope you have the same success I have found!
    I've never been a runner, and now I feel totally successful!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM, so I create my own exercise & enter my calories burned. If you don't have one, its tricky with the combo on running and walking...could enter it as very brisk walking to cover the jogging, depending on how far into the program you are, and how much jogging vs walking you're doing.
  • Reckabek
    Options
    I have a HRM, so I create my own exercise & enter my calories burned. If you don't have one, its tricky with the combo on running and walking...could enter it as very brisk walking to cover the jogging, depending on how far into the program you are, and how much jogging vs walking you're doing.

Ahh yes this is true!
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 8. I love it. It starts out very easy, and builds up. I started the C25K before I got onto mfp. I have 5 lbs total. I run on a treadmill, too much ice and cold, and the treadmill keeps me going. I run faster for the shorter times. I find it more fun than just plodding along at a slow pace for 20 -30 minutes.