Where does fat go? Does it just dissentigrate or....

Options
Can someone tell me where fat goes when it's "lost"? Is it flushed out with pee or does it just dissentigrate?

Replies

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.

yep. the fat cells are still there. patiently waiting for you to fill them back up with crap. dont do it.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think your body uses the stored fat for energy..
    Then is excreted out of the body..
    Just a wild guess. I really have no clue. Lol interesting topic though
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    From my biochem years ago, it gets metabolized to carbon dioxide and water.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    when you are on a calorie deficit, your body's metabolism doesnt change..so it needs to get its energy from place (fat stores)..in the form of calories..in the form of triglycerides. the triglycerides get broken down and release energy. its actually very complicated..but thats the basis.

now to get fuel, your body gets its glucose from breaking down muscle..it doesnt get it from fat. thats why its important to eat carbs and not drastically cut your calories, so your body wont catabolize your muscle mass for fuel.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Without all the science jabber, Trigylcerides (the storage form of fat in adipose tissue) is burned producing energy and most of it results in CO2 and water production and the rest is recycled in the body for other uses.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    In simplest terms, yes, it does disintegrate.

Fat is a chain of molecules. Energy is stored in the chain (it has to do with its chemical composition). The body actually breaks the chain apart to release that energy and converts it to energy that your body can use on a cellular level to fuel the functions that keep your body going ... things like heart beating, diaphragm moving the lungs, your legs moving as you walk, run, or work out, etc. (The body uses ATP, breaking it down to ADP, for all of its functions, then uses the energy from the food we take in - weather it's carbs, fat, or protein, by breaking down those molecules, releasing the energy, and turning ADP back into ATP).

Okay, I tried to explain it simply, but I'm afraid I just made it clear as mud. Does this make any sense at all?
  • DietPep1978
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.

yep. the fat cells are still there. patiently waiting for you to fill them back up with crap. dont do it.

Are we born with the fat cells? We...expand/feed them so to speak? Or do we create them from being overweight and then never rid of them?
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    when fat is used for energy, the body converts them to acetyl coa and they are urinated out as ketones after being filtered through the kidneys.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.

Are we born with the fat cells? We...expand/feed them so to speak? Or do we create them from being overweight and then never rid of them?

You are born with a set number of fat cells. If you eat more calories than your body needs, your fat cells stretch to store these extra calories as triglycerides. You may even gain new fat cells when the cells have enlarged to their maximum size. Once created, however, fat cells remain in your body forever; they may shrink in size when you lose weight, but they never go away (unless they are removed by surgery or liposuction). (from Johns Hopkins webiste)
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just like muscle tissue, we have a certain amount of fat tissue. It can get smaller or bigger, but unless you have liposuction, it never goes away.
  • DietPep1978
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.

You are born with a set number of fat cells. If you eat more calories than your body needs, your fat cells stretch to store these extra calories as triglycerides. You may even gain new fat cells when the cells have enlarged to their maximum size. Once created, however, fat cells remain in your body forever; they may shrink in size when you lose weight, but they never go away (unless they are removed by surgery or liposuction). (from Johns Hopkins webiste)

humpf...darn. Ok. Thanks Muscle-y Dave for explaining.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.

That is correct.

The more if you have, the easier for them to recruit their friends.
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.

That is correct.

So I must have been born with lots of fat cells...:happy:
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Fat cells shrink.

That is correct.

Friends? Heck. I have recruited an entire Country. :embarassed:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I like to think of fat cells like those storage bags people use to put sweaters and pillows in. When you loose weight, you are taking out the sweaters and pillows, giving them to the needy (in this case the energy is needy), and putting those empty (and now much smaller bags) away.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yikes....I really don't like mine and want them to shrink!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    haha, come on people. "it shrinks?" not a valid answer. Where does it GOOOOOOOOOOOO?

It comes out as CO2 gas. This is what happens, Fat and glucose(sugar) enter the kreb cycle. So the fat and the glucose get burnt, half way and converted to pyruvic acid. This pyruvic acid turns in to CO2(carbon dioxide) when you exhale, and water.

the fat CELLS shrink . good grief dude...must you always attack and be so argumentative?