Unfriending MFP friends.

Options
Hi all, I'm relatively new to MFP and I have a question: has anyone ever unfriended anyone? I have a pal that seems to be entrenched in food addiction. Their posts and food diary make me want to hinge, as I'm a food addict too. Quite frankly, they are demotivating for me, and I don't think I can do.anything for them. Anyone ever had anything similar?

Replies

• lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I started out just having my husband and me. Now I only have like one or two other friends. I ended up unfriending a couple of people but it wasn't because they were bringing me down, rather we just didn't seem to have much in common. I thought they were fine people and everything though. Don't make it too personal...if you don't benefit from it then there's no reason you have to keep the friend. It isn't as though you don't like them...it's just not helpful to you.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It's not Facebook. :smile:

If you have friends who aren't on the same page, or are bringing you down, then you choose whether you want to try to influence them, or whether they need to go. Unless there is a way to just hide their posts from your homepage?
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I unfriend people, but there is an option to "hide" people...so you are still friends but you don't have to see any of their updates unless you specifically go to their page...
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you can certainly hide them if you don't want to outright unfriend them. click to the right of any of your friends posts on your wall and you will see a "hide" button. If you go there on your own posts you see a "Remove" button

If you hide them you can unhide in the future at "my home > friends" and look near their profile for an unhide or unmute button.

All that said, unfriend them if they don't jive. I'm not on facebook due to the relentless "pointless" posts like "i'm deciding what to make for dinner, I'm cooking dinner I'm eating dinner, my dogs stealing my dinner... taking the dog for a walk'.... who cares.... and if someone uses mfp the same they go bye :)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I unfriend people who don't participate in logging food, exercise, or who have hidden diaries......or who never log on
  • MONI733
    Options
    Let anyone and anything that is pulling you down go!! As someone stated this is not FB
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    My rule is that if my friends behaviors on this site are not helpful and supportive and if they stop logging for 5 days or more, they are gone. Some friends I get and give comments to almost daily and I wouldn't delete them after only 5 days, but the lames that want to send friends requests, but never really talk to you again I get rid of pretty quickly.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I unfriend people fairly regularly. I'm mean like that.
    Actually, though, I only unfriend if we aren't really interacting, they haven't logged in for a while, or they are causing drama.
    I have a couple of friends who have definite food issues, but they are working hard on them and are open and honest about their desire to be healthier.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    One girl and her group of friends was staying under 250 calories or something.

I wasn't feelin it.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    For me...If people dont login with in a month I delete them. When I started on here you had a limit of friends you could have. I figure if they aren't really trying to lose weight I will make room for people that are.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    cut em if you have to, its about doing whats best for you
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I de-friend folks who are not eating well, haven't logged in for weeks and such. I have one friend doing some weird diet and I have kept her even though I don't agree with folks eating less than 1200 calories daily. I need to eat now like I need to eat for the rest of my life, not a fad diet.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've deleted a lot of people. So do what ya gotta do. lol
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I unfriended once because her picture changed to practically all boobs and I did not want to look at that. I did tell her though. She then sent me a re-friend request with her standing behind a guy with a big smile. Its all good. I did not take her back though. Your peeps have to jive with you or whats the point? Its all about inspiration and support. If thats not there, move on.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've been un-added before, but before said person made it official, she commented on my diary that my post-workout smoothie recipes were weird. :laugh:

I'll occasionally un-add someone, but only if they haven't logged in for a month or two.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    Hell yes !! I delete people monthly ! If they bring me down, or don't log, or hide their diaries, then bye bye !!
    DON'T feel bad about it. This is YOUR weight loss journey.
    :)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    This is your weight loss journey, and I think you are entitled to be as picky as you want when it comes to supporters. Don't feel too bad about it. I try to return the favor, and if someone deletes me...I assume they have their reasons, and I let it go. I definitely delete friends who don't provide support, who are losing weight in an unhealthy manner, who don't log in regularly, who are rude, etc.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Delete them. And don't feel the least bit bad about it. This is about YOU.
  • joconnor09
    Options
    i unfriended someone who i just thought was annoying. this site is all about you doing you. yes, there's a fantastic community aspect, but at the end of the day, you want to make this site a place where you want to go every single day. you've got to create an atmosphere you like, and if that means unfriending people, then so be it. they'll get over it, you'll get over it- there are plenty of people on this site. why settle for people who don't share your goals and motivation?
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Hiding someone that does nothing but bring you down is like hiding that bag of chocolate you don’t want to eat. You know it’s there and but you keep going back one piece at a time.