LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    i have no idea im always wondering that lol
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    14lbs
  • achief192
    Options
    :laugh: What do you think this is? Google?
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    14lb - glad to help :D
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Google Stones to pounds. They do the math for you!

Ex: 50 Stones to pounds

Response: 50 stones = 700 pounds

I think it would be less confusing if people just said pounds. Stones do not make sense to me :-\
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    14 pounds right?
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    The real question is why stones??
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Of course I knew I could Google the answer but I do enjoy reading MFP member responses.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Stone is a European measurement of weight. It used to vary from village to village before settling on about 14 lbs. It is no longer a "recognized" form of measurement, but is still used informally in some areas. It is especially common in Scotland and outlying areas of Europe. (P.S. I am American, but I am also one of those people to keep handy when you are playing Trivial Pursuit) :smokin:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    if i could smack someone over the head with a giant foam google sign....... i totally would.
    and film it
    and put it on you tube as a series of shorts.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Remember when we used to talk? You'd ask a friend a question, they'd know the answer and tell you? You remember, before Google made friends obsolete? Maybe you should google, Google.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Remember when we used to talk? You'd ask a friend a question, they'd know the answer and tell you? You remember, before Google made friends obsolete? Maybe you should google, Google.
    yeah... and then you would make fun of them for asking a stupid question... and it them with a foam bat.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Did you know that Google is a dirivitive of the word googol which is a unit of measurement that means near infinity? It is depicted as a number with 100 zeroes behind it. (like I said...I am full of useless information)
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Did you know that Google is a dirivitive of the word googol which is a unit of measurement that means near infinity? It is depicted as a number with 100 zeroes behind it. (like I said...I am full of useless information)

actually that number is called a googolplex... (donno if i spelled that right)

edit:
    i do remember learning that when i was around 10.. from one of those childcraft books... lol
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    agree. I'd much rather report 62 lbs vs. 4 Stones.
  • purplybob
    purplybob Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I much prefer the Beatles :)
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Fridaydalek
    Fridaydalek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Stone is a European measurement of weight. It used to vary from village to village before settling on about 14 lbs. It is no longer a "recognized" form of measurement, but is still used informally in some areas. It is especially common in Scotland and outlying areas of Europe. (P.S. I am American, but I am also one of those people to keep handy when you are playing Trivial Pursuit) :smokin:

Hi, first post. Hello from the UK.

Yes, a stone is 14lb. But it's not 'informal' at all here. Most bathroom scales bought in this country will be marked in stone/llbs as well as KG. Ask someone here what their weight is and (assuming they don't think you're being rude!) you'll hear the answer in stones/llbs.