End the mystery, how much is a "stone"?

Replies

• haha, google it and miss out on this interesting string of conversation? no way! :tongue:

Love the OP! I'm always wondering this too. I grew up with lbs, but now I live in Ireland and am presented with either stones or kg. I'm so confused, haha.

I just know that regardless of how you measure it, I need to lose weight!! :happy:
  • I think the unit of weight measurement should vary depending on whether it is weight GAINED or weight LOST. I tend to gain one stone (just the one) but lose a whopping 14 pounds!!!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    I always used stones and tbh didnt know what a lb was before I joined this site. 2.2lbs in a kg. 14lbs in a stone. 6.3ishkg in a stone. Even though I'm english I think everyone should just use kg.
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    The real question is why stones??
    agree. I'd much rather report 62 lbs vs. 4 Stones.

Maths not being my strong point, but isn't 4 stone = 56lbs???
  • Fridaydalek
    Fridaydalek Posts: 28 Member
    As a scandinavian I grew up with the metric system. I've gotten my head around the lbs, feet and inches to use here, but I've never been able to grasp the stone measurement. (and since the uk is moving towards metric I'll just wait until we all calculate in centimeters and kilos)

Personally, I'm getting used to working in metric weights. But I think you'll have a long wait until we all do it! :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    I like stones! I have lost 13ib, but that extra pound when I achieve it will mean a whole stone, which sounds much more impressive
  • I think the unit of weight measurement should vary depending on whether it is weight GAINED or weight LOST. I tend to gain one stone (just the one) but lose a whopping 14 pounds!!!

Agreed! :D
  • As a scandinavian I grew up with the metric system. I've gotten my head around the lbs, feet and inches to use here, but I've never been able to grasp the stone measurement. (and since the uk is moving towards metric I'll just wait until we all calculate in centimeters and kilos)

You say we're moving towards metric, but we've been doing that for at least 10 years already and it's not changed yet so I wouldn't hang about!! :) Us English can be set in our ways sometimes :P
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    More interestingly, why does the US not use stone? You use pounds and ounces all the time....why not stone too? Just wondering.......

I was wondering this too!
  • I was taught metric at school, but still can't get my head around using it in terms of height or weight. All the theory is there, I just can't apply it!

I struggle enough having to convert my weight into singular pounds, let alone kilos. It probably stems from always being weighed in stones and pounds as a kid. Even now, I've never heard anyone over here say 'I had a baby that weighed x amount of kilos'. It's always in pounds and ounces!

I'm totally with you on this one! Like you say, the theory is there but putting it into context is hard. Same thing about babies too! I think if I ever said to someone "my baby weighs x amount of kgs" they'd look at me bewildered!
  • Stone is a European measurement of weight. It used to vary from village to village before settling on about 14 lbs. It is no longer a "recognized" form of measurement, but is still used informally in some areas. It is especially common in Scotland and outlying areas of Europe. (P.S. I am American, but I am also one of those people to keep handy when you are playing Trivial Pursuit) :smokin:

It's not just in Scotland (Where I live) it's across the U.K. I was raised half in metric, half in imperial, like most early 20 something Brits.

Haha, yep!! I agree! Like I said in my post, we were taught metric as well in school, but it was always a bit half-arsed because most of the teachers worked in imperial still anyway just like my parents did! Why fix it if it isn't broken, that's what I think :P

My children do everything metric at school now, but if you asked my 13yo daughter how much she weighed, she'd give you the answer in stone and pounds still! I don't think it'll ever go, despite what the Europeans try to foist on us. :tongue:

Haha!! Agreed :D
  • Andaw
    Andaw Posts: 35 Member
    It certainly is "recogniSed" where I live!!:flowerforyou:
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Stone is a European measurement of weight. It used to vary from village to village before settling on about 14 lbs. It is no longer a "recognized" form of measurement, but is still used informally in some areas. It is especially common in Scotland and outlying areas of Europe. (P.S. I am American, but I am also one of those people to keep handy when you are playing Trivial Pursuit) :smokin:

Hi, first post. Hello from the UK.

Yes, a stone is 14lb. But it's not 'informal' at all here. Most bathroom scales bought in this country will be marked in stone/llbs as well as KG. Ask someone here what their weight is and (assuming they don't think you're being rude!) you'll hear the answer in stones/llbs.

Yup, i'm in the UK too and it's stones everywhere! we all talk in stones/lbs very rarely anything else unless you are cooking and it's grams!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    As others have said, here in the UK almost everyone thinks of their weigh in terms of stone. However, I personally tend to think in kg (it's what my scales use and what my doctor uses) or pounds (just from being on MFP). I'm very much in the minority though. If I tell someone my weight/weight loss in pounds or kg they will always ask what it is in stone.
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Stone is a European measurement of weight. It used to vary from village to village before settling on about 14 lbs. It is no longer a "recognized" form of measurement, but is still used informally in some areas. It is especially common in Scotland and outlying areas of Europe. (P.S. I am American, but I am also one of those people to keep handy when you are playing Trivial Pursuit) :smokin:

It's not just in Scotland (Where I live) it's across the U.K. I was raised half in metric, half in imperial, like most early 20 something Brits.

Haha, yep!! I agree! Like I said in my post, we were taught metric as well in school, but it was always a bit half-arsed because most of the teachers worked in imperial still anyway just like my parents did! Why fix it if it isn't broken, that's what I think :P

My children do everything metric at school now, but if you asked my 13yo daughter how much she weighed, she'd give you the answer in stone and pounds still! I don't think it'll ever go, despite what the Europeans try to foist on us. :tongue:

Haha!! Agreed :D

Absolutely, i will always teach my (future) children Stones and lbs as that is what my whole era grew up with, and my parents too. :-)
  • shaybethxo
    shaybethxo Posts: 153 Member
    in the UK, stones is much more recognised than lbs and kg! if i said to my family i'd lost 30lb, they'd be like 'how much is that in proper language?' (meaning stones)
    i'm only just starting to get my head around using lbs, and have no idea about kg!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    I think I'm confusing.. I know my weight in just lbs, stones and lbs and also kilos.. makes it easier to compare to others that way..

For example I know I'm 133lbs, which is 9 stone 7 or 60.5kgs :)

My doctors use kilos, I've always known stone, and most friend on MFP use lbs.. I adapt to whoever I'm talking to :)
  • just like old money 240d to a pound it's a flash back to imperial days.16oz=1lb and as they said 14lb is a stone I like our old system but I still use the metric system.
  • redsteve65
    redsteve65 Posts: 142 Member
    Just to join in - 14 lbs.

Most people form the UK measure their weigth in stones and lbs. So for example if I am asked my weight I would say "14 stone 10" with the "10" being the lbs. Now thanks to mfp I would answer "13 stone 11"

When I watch the US version of Biggest Loser my son sits with a calculator to convert the lbs into stones as it means more to us.
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    I am English and grew up saying my weight in stones and pounds too (and height in feet and inches). Then 15 years ago I moved to Mali (a former French colony) and when getting my first ID card they asked my height in metres! I didn't know so they had to measure me :-) Same applies to weights - all in kg here, and it took me AGES to get used to it. I finally did, and my scales work in kg. NOW however, I am on MFP all the time and I have to get used t converting into pounds :-) Thankfully I have a useful converter button on my phone that does the maths for me! Why can't we just all choose on method. I'd vote for kg - the metric system makes most sense :-)