Any MFP people who have Mental Illness?

Options

Replies

• lordbyron46
    lordbyron46 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ive suffered with Anxiety since in my teens and Im 37 now and I had mild depression in 2010 as my dad had cancer. I'm on citilapram now and the attacks are very sparse so all sorted yay dont suffer in silence its more common than you may think.......keep it up in the gym the endorphines are addictive !!
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Depression and bi polar. It is hard to swallon that i have bi polar as thee is such a negative undertone with it but it is me and i need to accept it. It is nice to see that i m not alone. Thanks for this thread :)
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I suffer from depression. I am not on medication for it though, but easily could be.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    PTSD
  • fastingfairy
    Options
    I have an Eating Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, Psychotic Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD and (used to) have DID - a sort of Multiple Personality Disorder. <.< I'm on Fluxotine, Quetiapine (but don't take it because of weight gain :/) and Zopiclone for my insomnia. Add if you wish to. xxx
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Social anxiety disorder and general anxiety. I've done therapy off-and-on for the last few years, and I've got a medication consult coming up in a few weeks. I have mixed feelings about the medication idea, but it's at least worth a try, I figure.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    Depression, anxiety and a major load of guilt complexes. Mild substance issues related to all of those.

Mild substance abuse issues for me as well. I binge drink weekly although I try to control it as much as possible.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    OCD since childhood.

tried a couple medications years back; didn't find any of them effective enough to justify the side effects.

years ago, i found ways to short circuit the rituals, and have remained highly functional and productive. excessive anxiety remains, but that's life.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I suffer from schizoaffective disorder. And ptsd. Ive been in remission for 3 yrs with flares. Ive been correctly medicated since then, i also am a addictaholic whit eating issues.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Depression and Anxiety. Oh, and OCD out the wazzoo
  • EleanorWightman
    Options
    Depression, parnoid personalisty disorder.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've had anxiety since I was a child. Growing up in an abusive situtation was at fault. In the last few years it has gotten much better but there are still situations that I can't deal with.

I also suffer from depression. I've been on meds before but have gone off them because I dont' like the side-effects. So now I mostly deal with it day to day. Not easy.
  • woodsk67
    Options
    Anxiety here- Keep everything in and alot of preasure on myself. Need to learn to relax!
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of major depressive episodes, and intermittent anxiety. I do control it with meds.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    post traumatic stress disorder, add, depression, anxiety and panic attacks...I take effexor and its worked pretty well.
  • mbertagnolli
    Options
    Bipolar here too. I have been symptom free for a long time - largely due to some major improvements in lifestyle. Making dietary choices that are not processed, that are lower in fat and sugar and higher if fibre and nutritional value (like fruits and veggies) in combination with regular exercise keeps my mental health in check. If I find I'm having a tough day, going for a run really helps - even if I'm not initially motivated to go.

The question of kids that one of the previous posters brought up is a tough one for me. Even though I've been on the level for about 7 years, it wasn't always that way and I wouldn't want kids to trigger another episode. Also, hereditary studies also show that there is a strong genetic component to bipolar disorder, and it's not something I'd like to pass on. Adoption was something I'd considered in the past and may again, in the future.

If anyone on this thread - living symptom free, or not - would like to add me as a friend, I'd be happy to reciprocate!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    manic depression and anxiety attacks and ADHD... I'm just all out crazy
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Battled Depression all of my life. May have a touch of Bipolar goin on as well, that I am not sure about. Makes the emotional eating end of things pretty difficult. Am currently on meds, and things seemed to have evened out for me lately. Things are good.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have Multiple Sclerosis and along with that comes some depression. I've been on Zoloft since 2006. Tried to do generic Prozac but couldn't tell any difference so I went back to generic Zoloft. I'd love to be off of it, but for my family's sake I'll stay on it.
    You know the old saying If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!! :)
    Hoping MFP will help all of us suffering!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have generalized anxiety disorder (with strong healthy anxiety tendencies paired with a doctor phobia, a blood phobia and a needle phobia - it's an awful combo - I often believe I have serious illnesses, but am too terrified to actually see a doctor about them) and panic attacks. I have used medication in the past, but do better with cognitive behavioral therapy.