What I Can't Understand....

Options
You know, I can't understand how there are so many people on this site who say they have weight to lose and yet claim that they aren't hungry or can't eat all 1900 calories they are supposed to in one day. How the heck did these folks get overweight in the first place if they can't manage to eat 1900 calories in a day?!? I think I'm gonna pull my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!:explode:

Sorry....I just had to vent!

Replies

• jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You know, I can't understand how there are so many people on this site who say they have weight to lose and yet claim that they aren't hungry or can't eat all 1900 calories they are supposed to in one day. How the heck did these folks get overweight in the first place if they can't manage to eat 1900 calories in a day?!? I think I'm gonna pull my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!!:explode:

• buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    I second that!! If they cant eat them all then they should send some my way! lol
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I first became overweight by not eating enough. Skipping breakfast and lunch, only eating dinner...in that case your body holds on to whatever it can because it doesn't know when it will get food again.
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do have a hard time eating all my calories most days, especially the days that I get in a really good work out. I started using this site because I think one of my problems was admitting how much I eat. So by having to account for every little bite, it makes me stop and think before I eat now. I now will eat one slice of pizza instead of 3, have cut out the starch with dinner, and have switched to wine instead of beer. That takes out a huge chunk of my calories.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Actually plenty of overweight/obese people consume high calories/high sodium in bulk. eating only 1-2 times per day....once "we" start counting calories and eating quality foods...we often become full due to foods high in fiber ...and water consumption....so its easy to see how its hard to get in the daily allotment once the diet has changed...a lot of times its not the actual calorie its the food....Im sure anyone who is or has been overweight can relate to the above...I sure can
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    lol, welcome to my world. It's a small world, but still plenty of room, me and a couple others have been here for well over a year now, glad you could join us.

but I have two words for ya, depressed metabolism.

you eat too little of the wrong foods for long enough, your body shuts down, and eating even modest amounts after that will gain fat.

This is why telling people not to eat if they don't feel hungry is BAD NEWS IMHO. Because their body's are messed up chemically, they don't KNOW when they are hungry.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I have no problems whatsoever eating my 2200 cals especially if you are eating the adequate amount of protein (1g per pound?) you are going to make those calories.
  • newlifestyle36
    Options
    WELL FOR ME I WOULD ONLY EAT 3 TIMES A DAY AND THIS IS WHAT I WOULD EAT

BREAKFEAST A BAGLE OR TOAST OR BOWL OF CEREAL
    LUNCH SANDWITCH WHITE BREAD TURKEY OR HAM W/ CHEESE MAYO AND LETS NOT FOR GET BK AND MCDONALDS CHEESEBURGS AND FRIES
    AND POTATO CHIP
    LOTS OF MASHED POTAOES , PASTA SIDES FROM THE PACKGE AND WHAT EVER MEAT
    AND OF COURCE BK MD'S PIZZA 3 SLICES
    OH YA I USED TO SNACK AT NIGHT CHIPS COOKIES ICE CREAM ECT.

SO ALL THAT STUFF WHAT NOT THE HEALIER CHOICE STUIFF SO NOW THAT WE ARE EATING BETTER WE TEND TO GET FULLER FAST AND LONGER WHERE AS THE JUNK WE ATE MADE US HUNGRY ALL THE TIME I MEAN COME ON YOU'R HERE TO LOSE WEIGTH ALSO SO YOU HAD TO ONE POINT NOT HAVE EATEN SO WELL YOURSELF:mad:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yes crappy food is small and calorie dense. Good quality food is large and calorie (um, what's the opposite of dense?)

look how small and thin a hershey bar is. and it's like 200 calories. you know how much broccoli I could eat for 200 calories? It would be the size of a beach ball!!:laugh: :laugh:

however, I do get a twinge of jealousy when I hear people saying they can't hit their calorie amounts. I am always having to be careful or I will go over so easily.
  • jtintx
    Options
    I first became overweight by not eating enough. Skipping breakfast and lunch, only eating dinner...in that case your body holds on to whatever it can because it doesn't know when it will get food again.
    I agree that your metabolism will slow down if you don't eat enough but you cannot gain weight (excess fat) if you have a caloric deficit on a daily basis. I submit that you overate at your evening meals and still had a caloric surplus.
  • lmdavis804
    Options
    I got overweight because I didn't care what I ate. Now that I am on this site I realize how terrrible I was eating. Now that I am making better choices it is hard to eat 2000 calories. So, to me it does make perfect sense to say that it is now hard to eat 2000 calories.
  • berggrog
    berggrog Posts: 8
    Options

I am going to take a stab at this... Most people I know start off the day skipping breakfast. Then have some sodas and maybe a donut at work if there are any. Then about noon hit fast food or takeout somewhere. About 3 they get a candybar or chips out of the machine. When they get home they have a couple beers, pop in a frozen pizza and watch TV. About 9:pm they pop some Butter Lovers Popcorn or have a bowl of ice cream and go to bed.

So when people make a switch to eating healthier they find out that food that is good for you does not have the calorie load of those fat foods we used to eat and Eating healthy takes effort. You have to prepare healthy meals and snacks and eat regularly. Just eathing less cheeseburgers is just not going to do it.

That might have something to do with it. Or I could be completely off base. I am one of those having a heck of a time eating more... I know it is sick.
  • jtintx
    Options
    SO ALL THAT STUFF WHAT NOT THE HEALIER CHOICE STUIFF SO NOW THAT WE ARE EATING BETTER WE TEND TO GET FULLER FAST AND LONGER WHERE AS THE JUNK WE ATE MADE US HUNGRY ALL THE TIME I MEAN COME ON YOU'R HERE TO LOSE WEIGTH ALSO SO YOU HAD TO ONE POINT NOT HAVE EATEN SO WELL YOURSELF:mad:
    Yeah, but you'll never hear me say I can't eat all my calories! As a matter of fact I posted a thread say that I'm hungry all the time.

Todays food so far:
    Whole grain mini bagel with laughing cow cheese wedge
    Coffee
    Hard boiled egg
    Almonds

AND RIGHT NOW I AM STARVING!!!!

Thank goodness I go to lunch soon!!!!!
  • buffjess
    Options
    Thats true if your eating 2200 cals..But mainly for the ones eating 1200 cals who say they cant eat them all..I mean come get real..Eat a tbs of peanut butter or something.:grumble:
  • newlifestyle36
    Options
    AND FOR THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY CAN'T THERE CALORIES IN THEY JUST NEED TO KEEP AJUSTING WHAT TEY EAT UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT TEY WILL LEARN JUST LIKE WE ALL HAD TO BUT IF THEY HAVE QUESTIN LIKE THAT DON'T BEAT THEM DOWN FOR IT GIVE THEM SO GOOD ADVICE THATS WHY WE ARE HERE TO LEARN AND LIVE BETTER TOGETHER:bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
  • buffjess
    Options
    Dont think she was beating them down just venting like everyone else does on here
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat my maintenance sometimes. But my maintenance is 2800 calories, and I don't find it hard because I'm full, I find it hard because that's a LOT of food to find in the cabinates! Forget adding my calories after exercise, that's another 2 or 3 hundred, and I'm actually trying to GAIN, so I add about another 200 after that. Sheesh, even cooking my own meals, it costs me like 10 bucks a day to eat, minimum. That's 300 bucks a month just for me, my wife eats about 2200 as well, man, 2 people we spend over 500 a month its rough sometimes.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thats true if your eating 2200 cals..But mainly for the ones eating 1200 cals who say they cant eat them all..I mean come get real..Eat a tbs of peanut butter or something.:grumble:
    I think it goes both ways some have trouble eating more and some have trouble trying not too eat as much....
  • jtintx
    Options
    AND FOR THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY CAN'T THERE CALORIES IN THEY JUST NEED TO KEEP AJUSTING WHAT TEY EAT UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT TEY WILL LEARN JUST LIKE WE ALL HAD TO BUT IF THEY HAVE QUESTIN LIKE THAT DON'T BEAT THEM DOWN FOR IT GIVE THEM SO GOOD ADVICE THATS WHY WE ARE HERE TO LEARN AND LIVE BETTER TOGETHER:bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:
    Please quit yelling at me. :frown: :wink:
    (Typing in caps is equivalent to yelling. Just thought you'd like to know.)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Wow - don't take a generic thread so personally - and please turn off the caps lock - your yelling and that is annoying. Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou: