good substitute for oil in brownie mix...

Options
paulamarsden
paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
i know apple sauce is one, we dont get apple sauce in the uk that isnt a table condiment.... so small jars are realy expensive and very high sugar/crap

any other subs>?

Replies

• dracc1989
    Options
    I've used prune purée and plain canned pumpkin before, both which make brownies cakier and more moist. It adds tons of fiber and nutrients, and you can't really taste the fruit.
    I had a roommate who was a dietetics major, who used to replace the eggs, oil and water with an entire can of black beans. She used to blend the whole can, liquid and all, and then mix the dry powder with the paste. If you underbake these, they come out really fudgey :)
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Argh it's really hard to find canned pumpkin here in the UK too! But the can of black beans sounds interesting! definitely going to try! I love those Japanese sweets mochi with the sweet bean filling so I can believe it works...

And the other one I've heard (but not tried) is... wait for it... diet coke. Or any other diet soft drink. A normal can with any cake mix apparently works really well.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You could make your own apple sauce and freeze it.

I just made a recipe last week that substituted a cup of canned pumpkin and a cup of water for all the other "stuff" that went into a cake mix and they turned out awesome. Really moist.

In that same vein, you could maybe use a less flavourful squash of some sort to do the same thing. Bake it, puree it. Add it.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    pure pumkin
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    My mother always used the juice leftover out of cans of fruit. Usually pear, mixed fruit, or peaches.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Definitely unsweetened applesauce!
  • skinnygigii
    Options
    Oh Ty for reminding me of the diet coke. I use to work with inmates and this was an ingredient to their birthday cakes. They could only use the microwave and it turned out nice and fluffy.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Brownies (2 WW Points each!)

1 box brownie mix
    1 can (15 oz) black beans

Open the can of black beans, rinse well. With beans back in the can, add enough water to cover
    beans. Put in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, and then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!

Makes 20 brownies-- 2 Weight Watcher Points each!

These are pretty rich and fudgy, they have lots of protein and fiber, too.
  • twilightobession
    twilightobession Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the other day about substituting oil. I knew of using applesauce. But I did not know if it were equal parts or not. How do you do that??????
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil. It may not be what ur looking for butits a good oil!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Black beans. I know, it sounds awful, but you cannot taste them once they are baked and the brownies taste great. Plus, you get a ton of fiber. Puree the beans, add a little water and mix it with the brownie mix and bake according to directions on the box.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Brownies (2 WW Points each!)

1 box brownie mix
    1 can (15 oz) black beans

Open the can of black beans, rinse well. With beans back in the can, add enough water to cover
    beans. Put in blender or food processor and puree. Add puree to brownie mix, and then bake according to package directions.

You DO NOT add the eggs or oil that the recipe calls for, JUST the black bean puree!

Makes 20 brownies-- 2 Weight Watcher Points each!

These are pretty rich and fudgy, they have lots of protein and fiber, too.

Hmm very interesting, may have to try this!
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    I was wondering the other day about substituting oil. I knew of using applesauce. But I did not know if it were equal parts or not. How do you do that??????
    I usually sub 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce for the oil.
  • csummer8882
    csummer8882 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A can of diet soda will replace all wet ingredients. Just the brownie mix and a can of diet coke. :) I love the way that tastes.
  • houstonhickman
    Options
    I have heard of using baby food prunes or a prune/apple sauce mixture.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    shredded zucchini will work
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'ev seen recipes with canned black beans or pureed beets.
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    U can substitute the oil with any puree, really. I have used the beans, applesauce, pureed prunes, pureed banana, pureed peaches, pureed pears, pureed mango, anything really, also u can use yogurt, I love that. Use your imagination and find what works best for you.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Baby food works great. Carrot, sweet potato, or anything sweet.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Black beans. I know, it sounds awful, but you cannot taste them once they are baked and the brownies taste great. Plus, you get a ton of fiber. Puree the beans, add a little water and mix it with the brownie mix and bake according to directions on the box.

I do this, just dump a can - juice and all into a blender puree the beans and bake according to the directions on the box. My brownies are always really moist and pretty much perfect. I was hesitant at first but you really do not taste the beans at all.