good substitute for oil in brownie mix...

Options

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've used baby food of some variety. I think it was plums or apricots, I can't remember. Can you buy small jars of baby food in the UK?
  • time2bhealthy
    time2bhealthy Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mommy_x3
    Options
    I use olive oil. It may not be what ur looking for butits a good oil!

^^This! Try and light an Extra Light Olive Oil. It's GOOD fats! :-)
  • WOW! I've never heard of any of these ideas. THANKS for posting this!!!! :)
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    use 1 box of brownie or cake mix and 1 can of diet coke/soda

diet coke is 0 calories so there are no extra sugars or calories in it and would be less calories than other things like fruit juices or applesauce. i actually tried it a few weeks ago and they are SOOOO good. i even think that they taste better with the can of soda in it. and NO, it doesnt taste like coke. you cant even taste the soda =)
    hope that helps and you like them =)
  • tnshahud
    tnshahud Posts: 163
    Options
    When using the can of Soda (It's hard to say that..LOL..I say pop) do you use the whole can?
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow, black beans?!?!?!?! I am going to try this ASAP and see what my kids think... (I won't tell them, of course!) If it's good, I'm never using oil and eggs in brownies again!
  • tinamatteson
    Options
    Wow, black beans?!?!?!?! I am going to try this ASAP and see what my kids think... (I won't tell them, of course!) If it's good, I'm never using oil and eggs in brownies again!

So, y'all, this morning I went to the store and bought some black beans (I normally have them, but we were out) came home, pureed them in the blender and mixed them up with a Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie mix. I baked them, and... you're right, they are delicious! A little more cakey, but still very, very good. Like someone suggested, I underbaked them a bit.

Can't wait till my kids get home from school and I give them their snack! :wink:
  • tinamatteson
    Options
    However, is the calorie count really the same as when you use an egg and oil???? I noticed lots of 'black bean brownies' in the food database here on MFP and the caloric count seems high. Do y'all figure that's ok since there is no fat involved? Thanks.
  • lisasedlmeyer
    Options
    I HAVE USED ONE SMALL CONTAINER OF FAT-FREE OR LOW CAL VANILLA YOGURT AND BROWNIE MIX. STIR AND BAKE. THEY TURN OUT GREAT. GOOD LUCK.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I recommend black bean brownies. You can't taste the beans at all, and I should know because I hate beans! Try it out! It's pretty simple. Here's my recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JoniBologna/view/black-bean-brownies-201808
  • SarLem81
    SarLem81 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ^bump
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin!! Also you can use 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt as a substitute (one mix plus yogurt).
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Yogurt is a good one! Yummy! Love brownies.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you want health-conscious recommendations?

If you're just anti-oil.. you could always use mayonnaise. :P
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    I often use silken tofu (the kind in the shelf stable packaging) and puree it first then add it to baked goods. It still has a few grams of fat, but adds good protein and a host of micro nutrients.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    pumpkin
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Since I don't like cake mixes, I just looked online for black bean brownie recipes and came across this one:

http://happyherbivore.com/2009/05/vegan-blackbean-brownies/

I think I'll be giving this a try :)
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil