Personal trainer or not...

Options
That is the question.
Are you more likely to meet your goals with one? Worth the $$$?

Replies

• jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Being a former Personal trainer, here is what I have found with clients. The most successful ones were the ones that actually listened & followed the diet & exercise program I had set up for them. I had clients that I met with once per week & they thought that was enough, not taking the initiative to workout on their own the rest of week & couldn't understand why they were not losing any weight. Truthfully, if you feel you can follow the program & are new to working out then I feel yes they are worth it. There has been a lot of times that I have recommended to clients to sign up for fitness classes instead of paying me because I felt they would have more commitment by signing up for a class. Hope this helps!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Worth the $$$ if you have a lot of it.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    thanks! I would love to have a PT... what are the rates like?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, personal trainers are for those people who have no clue about exercising, are lazy, and/or lack motivation to get fit and healthy. People who don't know what their goals are, who don't want to spend time learning on their own by reading free books (library), free articles written by fitness experts and free fitness programs available online.

However, personal trainers can some times help professional athletes, power-lifters, or others training for a competition by taking their bodies to the next level of supreme fitness.
  • iRebel
    Options
    In my opinion, personal trainers are for those people who have no clue about exercising, are lazy, and/or lack motivation to get fit and healthy. People who don't know what their goals are, who don't want to spend time learning on their own by reading free books (library), free articles written by fitness experts and free fitness programs available online.

However, personal trainers can some times help professional athletes, power-lifters, or others training for a competition by taking their bodies to the next level of supreme fitness.

Well, I think that they can help you find out what your true limits are, eh? I see watcha sayin, tho:tongue:
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options

Well I use a personal trainer and think it's a bit harsh to tar everyone with the same brush don't you think? I'm not lazy but I do lack motivation so find that if I have someone waiting for me at the gym to kick my *kitten* then it motivates me more just like it does through the session to have someone pushing you to your limits - something I CAN'T do when I'm on my own. He makes me run 5 minutes longer and won't let me give up and lift 10lbs heavier and won't let me not finish my full reps. I read lots of fitness things and diet/nutrition advise online - I'm not thick?

It's your opinion and your entitiled to it but what works for you might not for others......just saying
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, my personal training sessions at the gym are only $30/session. I do a 3-month contract from time to time to make sure I keep on track. I tend to push harder when working with my trainer because she really pushes me to do that little extra bit I don't think I can do. I tend to loose more inches when I work with a trainer, just once a week for me.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've had a personal trainer since I started this journey... and I don't plan on giving him up anytime soon either. It's not because I'm lazy, have no clue about exercising or lack the motivation to get fit/healthy(believe me if I did, then my first personal trainer would have gotten a lot more credit!) or that I don't know what my goals are or spend time learning on my own(again, if that was the case my first PT would have gotten rave reviews from me!).

I like have a personal trainer because it keeps me committed and gives me new ideas and someone to bounce ideas off of. I know how to work out, I like to work out, and I'm at the gym at least 3 or 4 times every week... but there are the times that I can't always make it and if I have a PT session scheduled, then I know I will get at least one good workout in that week.

As far as the price range goes, it depends on your area. My gym charges between 45-50 dollars for a one hour session with a PT... and if you buy sessions in bulk(like I buy 20 at a time) then I put a certain amount down and then pay the rest off in payments.
  • iRebel
    Options
    exactly! I see what you are saying. I was thinking that If you knew you had to face your PT and you WANTED succes, IT would be harder to blow your diet/fitness program off.
    plus, Being able to ask them questions is nice too, right ?
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Having a personal trainer was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am not lazy, but I really benefited from one-on-one attention from an expert, especially since at the time I was fairly new to serious strength training. Some people thrive in that kind of arrangement, and there is nothing wrong with that. I stayed with her until I felt like I had a good base to continue on my own.
  • sgimpys
    sgimpys Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Well I use a personal trainer and think it's a bit harsh to tar everyone with the same brush don't you think? I'm not lazy but I do lack motivation so find that if I have someone waiting for me at the gym to kick my *kitten* then it motivates me more just like it does through the session to have someone pushing you to your limits - something I CAN'T do when I'm on my own. He makes me run 5 minutes longer and won't let me give up and lift 10lbs heavier and won't let me not finish my full reps. I read lots of fitness things and diet/nutrition advise online - I'm not thick?

It's your opinion and your entitiled to it but what works for you might not for others......just saying

I disagree with Bizco and agree with non87. Im not lazy or lack motivation. There are a lot of exercise circuit training tips that I have learned from my personal trainer than I have ever known. I have been going to the gym for the last three years, slowly losing weight. With a personal trainer, I have actually dropped two pant sizes faster than I had with cardio/basic weight lifting. Personal Trainers are not just for atheletes, power-lifters, or other people training for a competition. Im using one to try to get a position with the federal government as an agent for the FBI. Its a long process but believe me, the motivation to lose weight is there....
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have started working with a personal trainer the past few months and found it to be really motivating! It's harder to slip up during the week when you have a scheduled workout. It makes you a little bit more accountable. Not only that, but a good trainer will push you past your comfort zone and will help you mix up your workouts. I have felt myself getting stronger and more healthy, and it's given me extra motivation to log my food every day on here (Especially if you share your diary with your trainer - do it!). If nothing else, it can get you to start developing a workout habit!

Basically, if you've ever taken music lessons, it's a bit like that. You can learn piano on your own if you want, but if you take lessons with an expert, you will probably learn faster with a better technique.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just make sure they know what they are talking about, I am consistently astounded looking around my gym at the personal trainers "training" their clients letting them do excersizes with terrible form and even going to get the wheights and hand them to their clients.. really if you can't go get your own dumbells then your too lazy to be in the gym. just do your research and ak around at the gym to get a feel for who knows their stuff
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

A personal trainer can be valuable for somebody with any level of knowledge, proficiency, or goals. The one problem I find is they are just too expensive. The other problem is there are a lot of them who aren't very valuable for someone who is above a novice level of fitness. I tend to think I know what's best for me (even when i really don't), and I think I would resist anything a PT recommends that doesn't follow my own beliefs. But to each their own. I think someone with a good PT is generally better off than someone without one.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Just make sure they know what they are talking about, I am consistently astounded looking around my gym at the personal trainers "training" their clients letting them do excersizes with terrible form and even going to get the wheights and hand them to their clients.. really if you can't go get your own dumbells then your too lazy to be in the gym. just do your research and ak around at the gym to get a feel for who knows their stuff

^ So much truth here. There's only 1 trainer at my gym that I feel is good. There's 2 that use bad form and another that questioned why I would lift heavy weights. You need to watch them train their clients for a while to see if they're worth the money.
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    exactly! I see what you are saying. I was thinking that If you knew you had to face your PT and you WANTED succes, IT would be harder to blow your diet/fitness program off.
    plus, Being able to ask them questions is nice too, right ?

Yes it does make you commited - if your not a 'exercise' kind of person then it gives you that extra push to make sure you go to the gym because someone is there waiting for you. You also benefit from the knowledge of someone who is trained in this field rather than being 'self taught' and thinking the information they have is 100% correct and it's always good to chat and ask questions on target areas/nutrition etc I also am more aware as we weigh in every week so it's not just me that knows!!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Had a few lessons with a PT when I started out on this journey when prime motivation was weight loss. Have now lost a fair bit of weight and want to tone, so signed up with a new PT to learn weights. Will definately need his help in the 1st few weeks as not comfortable with weights, and then probably occassionally just to check progress and change my routine around. I would definately recommend a PT if you are starting out or want to learn something new, but only if you are prepared to put the work in.

For the record I am not lazy, I am in the gym 5 nights a week, take Saturday off as a rest day, and tend to take a long walk on Sundays.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think it is highly dependant on the PT you find. I look at the ones at my gym and they really don't even look fit themselves, one in particular is extremely pear shaped.
    If you get a good one it would probably worth their weight in gold and you'd make massive progress compared to on your own, but if you don't get a good one it might just be a waste of money. I tried one once and what I didn't like is he gave me no advice about food whatever I would have thought a good trainer would want you to keep a food diary etc.
    I would go to bodybuilding.com and on the home page you can get a workout plan tailor made for your sex age and goals and that would work just as well .
  • Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options

I disagree with Bizco and agree with non87. Im not lazy or lack motivation. There are a lot of exercise circuit training tips that I have learned from my personal trainer than I have ever known. I have been going to the gym for the last three years, slowly losing weight. With a personal trainer, I have actually dropped two pant sizes faster than I had with cardio/basic weight lifting. Personal Trainers are not just for atheletes, power-lifters, or other people training for a competition. Im using one to try to get a position with the federal government as an agent for the FBI. Its a long process but believe me, the motivation to lose weight is there....

You go girl, you can do it - with the help of your PT and your determination!!
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Well.... I don't have a personal trainer, but I have a running coach. And over the last few weeks, my running has been steadily improving in ways I never imagined!!

I personally think having a trainer could be a fantastic help for many people and if I could afford one, I would love to work with a trainer!! Until then, I refer to (as previously suggested) the many many books in my wonderful library. Although it will never be the same as working one on one with someone, it is still immensly helpful