Personal trainer or not...

Options

Replies

• Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    I agree there are some fabulous books out there on workouts and nutrition and my PT will be the first to admit that the self taught guys are sometimes the best as he often has to refresh/learn new things because he does it everyday.

I think I've just had a slight meltdown hehe I was just a bit hurt by the comment that people who have a personal trainer are lazy because this has been a long and hard journey and I am by no means lazy - the complete opposite!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Just make sure they know what they are talking about, I am consistently astounded looking around my gym at the personal trainers "training" their clients letting them do excersizes with terrible form and even going to get the wheights and hand them to their clients.. really if you can't go get your own dumbells then your too lazy to be in the gym. just do your research and ak around at the gym to get a feel for who knows their stuff

^ So much truth here. There's only 1 trainer at my gym that I feel is good. There's 2 that use bad form and another that questioned why I would lift heavy weights. You need to watch them train their clients for a while to see if they're worth the money.

I also agree with this statement.

It took me 3 PT's before I found my perfect fit( and now that he's stepped away from the stigma that girls don't want to lift barbells and only want to do machines, he's even better!)
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My PT is worth her itty bitty weight in gold! She has been a PT for 10 years with a background in nursing. I shared my problem areas with her - low back problems, post knee surgery recovery, genetically weak abdominals, etc., and she has done more to help me target these areas safely than I would ever get out of a book. Then there is the fact that she spots me during new exercises, is constantly teaching me new tones and exercises, stays with me while my body learns it can actually do the impossible things she believes it can do, etc.

While I have lost weight before, I have never gained the right kind of shape that I have been getting working with her.

If you are not sure, then just sign up for 3 or 4 sessions to learn what you can do then go it on your own till you can find someone who pushes, challenges and helps you in the way that you need.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You Have to do what works for you.
    But If there qualified, there is indeed benefits
    Accountability
    Proper form for lifting-to enhance muscle or prevent injuries
    To advise on at home work-outs
    Nutrition-for enhanced muscle gain advice or weight loss

Good luck:-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your goals.

Weight loss is essentially 80% diet, 10% exercise, 10% genetics.

So you would get a better bang for your buck meeting with a nutritionist. If your goals is to get stronger or some other fitness goal, then a personal trainer may be handy, but for general weight loss it seems like a lot of effort for a small return.
  • mgero212
    Options
    I really enjoy working out with my PT once a week when I had sessions. I brought a package of 10 sessions and told her I was going to wait to use them until I felt like I was hitting a wall and needed to mix it up. Well I hit the wall and I am starting my sessions this week to learn new exercises and change it up to lose my last 10 lbs. They are worth it if you will listen to them and trust them, if you are not going to do that then don't waste your money and their time.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, personal trainers are for those people who have no clue about exercising, are lazy, and/or lack motivation to get fit and healthy. People who don't know what their goals are, who don't want to spend time learning on their own by reading free books (library), free articles written by fitness experts and free fitness programs available online.

However, personal trainers can some times help professional athletes, power-lifters, or others training for a competition by taking their bodies to the next level of supreme fitness.

Then why don't those lazy athletes just read and learn on their own!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    In my opinion, personal trainers are for those people who have no clue about exercising, are lazy, and/or lack motivation to get fit and healthy. People who don't know what their goals are, who don't want to spend time learning on their own by reading free books (library), free articles written by fitness experts and free fitness programs available online.

However, personal trainers can some times help professional athletes, power-lifters, or others training for a competition by taking their bodies to the next level of supreme fitness.

Wow, that was quite the generalization right there... I call B.S., too. My thoughts are when you intially join a gym, it is in your best interest to secure a PT, so that you can be assured that you are properly using the equipment and do not hurt yourself, at the very least. For myself, I used my PT to prep for my competition, but I still ate right and worked out 5 OTHER days outside of the one day a week I was with him. In fact, those non-trainer days for me were weight days and trainer days I specifically wanted him to do intense leg workouts (that I also did on my own non-trainer, non-gym time/days).

Do your research, first, before getting a trainer, though. That will make a difference. And, if you don't want to do the work on the days without the trainer and clean up your eating, I'd say don't waste your money.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    With all the information out there floating around on the net, I don't know how it would be worth any amount of money to pay for something that you could otherwise get for free.

I guess it all comes down to how much motivation you need to get things done.
  • cf0506
    cf0506 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also was a personal trainer back in the day (early to mid 90's). I was fresh out of college & a tad bit inexperienced! I got better as the years went on, and also obtained several certifications. As far as rates go, these could vary widely depending on your location. Usually, a trainer will sell you on a package, in which you would save a little by agreeing to buy 10 sessions, or whatever the case may be. A few questions I would ask:

* How many years experience do they have?
    * Are the ACE (American Council on Exercise) certified? Do they have other certifications/qualifications?
    * Could you observe them in a session with another client first, before you commit? (The reason for this is to see their "bedside" manner)

Hope that helps. The ACE Personal Trainer cert is about the best one out there. I studied for a year and took a prep class! It was tough but well worth it. I also feel it is ultra important to find a trainer that you "jive" with. It is an investment and you want to make sure it's a good one! Best of luck :)
  • rugbygirlca
    Options

I would totally disagree with this statement. I am quite an experienced althlete. I have trained on my own, in a group setting on competetive sports teams and with a trainer. I have a trainer because she pushes me farther than I will push myself and keeps me accountable during the week. I have the knowledge to train on my own...and the capability, but I enjoy having someone plan weekly torture sessions for me. Each week is different and tailored to me.

If you can afford one on an on-going basis, I think that a good personal trainer is invaluable. If you're just starting out, a trainer can give you good technique tips and give you a plan.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Know thyself. Laziness gets a bad rap. Better to think of it as resistance. We all have that at times. Yes, it would be nice if everyone could bootstrap themselves into research, getting there and doing it but some can, some can't.

I need little help, my other is an awesome person, she uses a trainer and is better for it. And the possibility exists I'd be better off but am too cheap or stubborn. Sometimes to me it does look like some people develop an unnecessary dependence on them, but how could I possibly really judge someone else as to that? To do so would only reflect my shortcoming.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My experience hiring a personal trainer years ago was SO TOTALLY worth it. There is absolutely no way in the world I can push myself as hard as a trainer does. Also, I am super motivated even when not with the trainer b/c I spent $$$ and b/c I wanted the trainer to see my progress. I would highly recommend a trainer. If your only option is to find a trainer at a gym you are stuck paying whatever the gym charges. However, my wife has become a personal trainer (she wasn't one when I hired one) and she specializes in working people out in our home or their home. Anyway, with the recession she is making tons of deals with people on packages and giving big discounts. So, if you find an independent trainer don't be embarrassed to try and bargain. Good luck!
  • JenniLisette
    Options

I find this 100% VERY TRUE..my cousin and I both signed up with the same trainer, he gave us diets and exercise that we needed to do for our own goals..i followed and lost weight, my cousin didnt follow and she lost only 5 lbs in the entire year we signed up. :) i think if you're willing to put your part and have the money go for it!
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I hired a trainer 6 weeks ago, and its the best decision I ever made. I am not lazy, I have a ton of motivation (45 pound loss in 16 weeks pretty much proves that, no?) Generalizations are ridiculous. Anyway, my trainer pushes me farther out of my comfort zone than I would do on my own because she knows what I'm capable of and I don't give myself enough credit. I hired her to prevent injury, muscle strain, etc. Best money I have ever spent. I'm 10 times stronger than I've ever been and I lost 11.25 inches off my body (4 of which came off my belly) in the first 5 weeks I worked with her. Like another poster said, my trainer is worth her weight in gold.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I would totally disagree with this statement. I am quite an experienced althlete. I have trained on my own, in a group setting on competetive sports teams and with a trainer. I have a trainer because she pushes me farther than I will push myself and keeps me accountable during the week. I have the knowledge to train on my own...and the capability, but I enjoy having someone plan weekly torture sessions for me. Each week is different and tailored to me.

If you can afford one on an on-going basis, I think that a good personal trainer is invaluable. If you're just starting out, a trainer can give you good technique tips and give you a plan.
    You basically agreed with the statement you just said you disagree with....(see bolded text above)

I think they are good for letting you know if you are using good form and giving you a general sense of direction and some goals/accountability. Certainly not necessary for results though.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    There are pros to having a personal trainer....I think ppl who have a partner to workout with are more likely to achieve long term goals... It can motivate you to get up, off the couch and into the gym. A good personal trainer will give you the positive re-inforcement that you need to hear. You will learn what works for you and WHY. They will give you a program that works for you!

That being said, it can be expensive, especially since the fee is in addition to your gym membership. You have to honor your committments, and if you don't then you get charged even if you don't show up...

You could always sign up for one session and see how it goes...
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I know that I would never push myself as hard on my own as I do with my personal trainer, I love him! But it is pricey, I pay $105 a week for 3 30 minutes sessions. I've never had curves in my life like I do now, he knows exactly what to have me do. I highly recommend it if you can afford it, even if just once a week. I've been going 3 times a week for 8 months, and I'm about to drop down to 2 times a week in the near future.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are just that. Personal Trainers. Not everyone will find them useful for what they are trying to achieve while others will find them to be their biggest difference in success.
    Where I think some are resistant to PT's (I hear it all the time) it's usually because they think they got it down pat and don't need any assistance based on their knowledge. Think of pro athletes. They know their jobs and excel at what they do, so why do they need a coach? Because a coach helps them to excel better than they think they can. Because experience counts.
    As of late I've gotten 6 people who were avid gym goers and in great shape to move to a level of fitness that they've never reached before. Results: one female who was stuck on a 4 month plateau broke it and is down 7lbs she couldn't lose. One male is now running 5 miles further than before gassing out.
    Now I will say it DOES depend on the trainer too. Lots of the newer trainers are all stuck on Functional training and leave out the basics. Squatting on a Bosu Ball isn't the same as squatting HEAVY with feet flat on the floor.
    So many just need to think about where they are at and if they can't do anymore than they've done. At that point a trainer may be the thing they need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've never even belonged to a gym let alone a PT....however, I will say that there is something to be said for accountability...I belong to a run club and enjoy running with others. However, I know people with PTs and they haven't lost any weight because they forget the diet component.

As someone previously mentioned diet is 90%...I would go so far as to say 99%....because if you overeat by just a little each day you'll cancel out any workouts.

As for me...I'm 44, 165 lbs....mainly run/weights/circuit training....Jillian DVDs. There's your personal trainer right there! for $9 lol. Mostly though I've always been good about eating...and run, run, run...try the C25K program if you haven't already...