was under goal everyday, and exercised and still no loss

Options
13»

Replies

• ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I've been noticing that I have a really weird weight loss pattern. I can work out everyday, and eat really well, and not really change anything, but this is what usually happens to me; i'll lose 2, 3 lbs for about two or three weeks in a row, and then all of a sudden the weight loss will stop for about two weeks. Then, the weight I SHOULD have lost in those two weeks that I didn't lose, will all drop at once, so all of a sudden I'll drop four or six pounds that week, and then go right back to losing 2, 3 a week. This has been going on for a long time, but I'm starting to notice that this coincides with my menstrual cycle. Mine isn't quite stable, it doesn't happen like clockwork, but I seem to stop losing weight about a week to a week and a half before my period, and don't lose until another week later when my period is finally over. So, hormones may play a role in this. Just keep at it, don't get discouraged, and see what happens, because even if you're not seeing any weight loss on the scale, doesn't mean you're not losing fat. It could be hormones causing water retention, or it could be muscle mass like others suggested. Try taking your inches. ALSO, like some others mentioned, you may not be eating enough. If you're going too much under your goal, and you're not eating anyyyy exercise calories back ON TOP of eating way under your goal, you may be slowing down your metabolism. Remember, calories are the fuel your metabolism runs on. If your body doesn't have a sufficient amount of calories, your metabolism will be forced to slow down in order to conserve energy.
  • bilio77
    bilio77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i'm gonna stay on goal, and try not to be under. im also thinking of trying some protein powders as well as the foods others suggested.
    Most protein powders seem to be saying they are for weight gain though. will it be a problem to take them as part of my usual daily diet?

When you say measure inches what sort of measurements should i be taking?
    Andy
  • bilio77
    bilio77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/reflex-instant-whey-2lb/2256

is this the sort of thing i should be looking at adding to my diet?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Did you have a big loss recently? Sometimes if you drop more then 2 lbs in a week your body might hang on to some weight to balance it out. It happens to my guy often. One week he'll drop about 5 lbs and then next week nothing. Same amount of workouts and same calories.

If you open your diary more people may be able to give you advice.

I've opened it to public for a bit

I looked at your diary and you are eating way to many carbs and not enough protein. Other than that it looks ok. Maybe you need to try something new to shock your body.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nope. Some weeks will just be like that. Happens every time! Concentrate on what you're doing over the long term and usually these will only last a week to ten days, I would bet. I'm in the middle of one right now too. :)
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Did you have a big loss recently? Sometimes if you drop more then 2 lbs in a week your body might hang on to some weight to balance it out. It happens to my guy often. One week he'll drop about 5 lbs and then next week nothing. Same amount of workouts and same calories.

If you open your diary more people may be able to give you advice.

I've opened it to public for a bit

If you have MFP set to a 2 lb loss, you should eat at your goal, not below, even consuming the exercise calories. You may not be eating enough. I've heard that the absolute minimum for men is 1500 calories per day. Additionally, I noticed you are already close to your goal. If that is your final goal, you should switch to .5 or 1 lb loss per week at the most. That also tells me you truly may not be eating enough.
  • maryc1959
    maryc1959 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is one of the best proteins because it is easy to digest. If you do not object to dairy products, Whey is a good choice. Also, try some greek yogurt. Great source of protein. You might want to try an Omega supplement too.
  • Jenne1979
    Jenne1979 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas and nuts...I think tofu also has lots of protein. But shakes are a great alternative!! There are some great protein shakes out there!!
  • lauehorn
    Options
    Lentils, legumes (beans), Greek yogurt, Chia seeds, eggs (if you are a veg that eats them), spinach (a full 13 grams per cup cooked!), oatmeal, nuts and nut butters, etc. You can also do processed protein or supplements (like tofu, tempeh or hemp protein powder), but you should be able to get more than enough protein as a veg from whole foods.
  • lauehorn
    Options
    Cheers folks,
    i'll start tracking my sodium. ill finish this week at current cal level then switch it to trying to loose 1.5 or a lb a week.
    this is gonna sound dumb but how much is 10 cups of water in litres? do you inc tea and coffee in that or just pure water (i have 2 cups of green tea, and three or so cups of normal tea a day)

Tea and coffee count as water.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    are you close to your goal? within 10-15 lbs? try upping your goal to 1/week you will gain slightly at first until your body adjusts to the cal increase but then you will start to drop again, i plateaued for a bit and then upped it, week 1 i gained 4 lbs, but then in weeks 2 i dropped it all plus 2more :)
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    The last 10-15 pounds are the hardest to lose. Recently, I increased my protein intake and this got the scale to start moving again. There are so many protein powders to pick from...just be careful on what you end up using. From all the reviews that I am reading, optimum nutrition seems to be a really good one.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

Another factor that helps me is monitoring sodium.

Good luck :-)
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If no one has answered this for you, 4 cups of water is one quart, which is just a tiny bit less than a liter. :) It's like 950 mL or something.