Replies

• Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser isn't real life.

SO TRUE!
    [/quote]

YUP!

You came to a site meant to help people get healthy and asked about an unhealthy diet, evryone is just trying to be helpful because they care about you, not to undermine. We all understand you want to hurry up and lose weight, don't we all at some point in our lives? The issue is; we all only want to lose it once and by doing the least amount of damage to our bodies in the process...if any at all. Getting healthy is the key.
    Just keep an open mind.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    technically its 3500 cals per pound, but it doesnt always work like that. the less you eat, the more you lose is not true, at some point your body will cling onto fat and your loss will stop. It will also slow your metabolism and you will lose muscle so the weight will go back on VERY easily.
    Also losing slower will give your skin a chance to catch up, losing 100lbs quickly will leave you as a saggy mess!!

Ive lost 3lbs 2 of the last 4 weeks, its not quite 3-5 every week but its good enough for me. I ate 1750 total / 1200 net and lost 4lbs in the whole of January. Due to an injury i am unable to exercise as much, I kept my cals the same so now 1750 net, and have lost 9.5lbs in february. My body fat has also decreased so i am not losing muscle.
    Last few weeks i have done only minimal exercise, 15 mins swimming and 30 mins weights 2x a week.
    from this week i am doing 20 mins hills on treadmill, 12 mins arm bike, 15 mins swimming and 30 mins weights 4x a week.
    I think I burn around 500 cals each time, so will be increasing my cals further next week to keep my net above 1600.

According to MFP, at this cal level I should lose only 0.8 per week, but have actually lost 3,1.5,2,3.

My diary is open if you want a look.x
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I'm sorry but you'd be doing yourslf more harm than good to lose quickly. Quick weight loss is not sustainable. It will contribute to lose, saggy skin. It is generally not healthy. You didn't put it all on quickly so you can't expect to lose it quickly.

Healthy weight loss is 0.5 to 2lbs per week. Stick with that. You won't have a loss every week but you've gotta keep plugging away.

I agree. Its better to take it at a slow pace, best chance at keeping it off.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I concur with all the advice you've been given so far. As to CR aiding longevity, the link below is an excellent article regarding this subject. It's not been proven as of yet that CR in humans has any significant effect.

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/04/calorie-restriction-for-life-extension-dr-oz-on-oprah.php
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46lbs in 16 weeks (average of 2.9 per week) just by following MFP's recommended settings for 2lbs a week, exercising 3 times a week (walking for 40 - 70 mins), not eating exercise calories (unless I'm hungry), and having a cheat meal every saturday (usually a burger). Initially i had a hard time hitting 1200 calories because i was in full "diet" mode and wouldn't eat anything i didn't perceive as "healthy" (it is hard to eat 1200 worth of veggies!!).

I've really "relaxed" my ideas of diet and average between 1300 - 1400 calories most days (sometimes higher or lower depending on my mood!). I'm still losing at a good rate (2.8 last week, 3.5 the week before). I eat whatever i want and just control the portion size. You don't have to super restrict to see good results... consistancy is the key!! Also do not discouraged by the scale...one week i only lost 0.4 lbs, the following week was 3.4.

Oh, before everyone jumps on me and says that's too fast.... i am being medically supervised! My doctor is very happy with my progress and this for me is very maintainable in the end because i'm filling up on veggies, enjoying small portions of "normal" food and never going "hungry".
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    and, at the risk of sounding harsh, the "I want it NOW" attitude is that of a child. This isn't just about your pant size, it's about your health. Be healthy.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started a low carb/low calorie diet the second week of this year. The first week we ate no carbs. After that, we added in green veggies, so hence the "low" carb. I eat less than 1000 calories/day, although I am supposed to eat between 600-800/day. My husband also eats less than 1000 net calories/day. His goal is to lose 100 pounds by Christmas. In the past 8 weeks, he has lost 38 pounds. I've lost 12, but I only have 40-50 to lose, and I didn't do the diet for about 3 weeks due to vacation and illness. It's harder for me to work working out into my routine, so I have started running the stairs at work every time I go to the restroom. I'm on the 3rd floor, so I run up and down 3 times about once an hour. You can do this!!

This incredibly not healthy. Those following such low calorie, low nutrients diets are doing far too much harm to themselves.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    OMG....woman, you need to eat!

This is my advice to you, work out what your TDEE is by multiplying your BMR x Activity level, then reduce this by 10-20% and aim to net that each day! You would be better off doing 50% of your work outs as weight bearing opposed to just cardio. I do 30DS myself but I also do 4 gym classes a week (all different) too....variety is the spice of life.

If you don't fuel your body and eat enough, you are damaging your body by slowing your metabolism down and running the risk of becoming catabolic, where your body will start to eat into your lean muscle, and not your fat stores. You do not want this to happen.

Eat clean, cut the crap out (prcoessed foods, refined carbs, regular glasses of alchol, fruits which are high in sugar etc), make sure you drink enough fluids and.............enjoy it.

:)
    i'm interested in trying to lose 5 lbs a week (give or take a pound or two). i have 110 to lose. if you've had any luck hitting this benchmark, i'd be curious what you are doing. i know, i didn't put it on over night (in fact, it took 6 years). but, i've been reading about rapid weight loss and it doesn't sound like it's the big deal they used to think it was. i find myself getting discouraged and then emotionally eating when the scale doesn't move like i think it should. i want to get rapid results.

i know there are no magic bullets. i'm looking for targets for calories in and time spent on exercise...and what kind you are doing.

my diet is pretty healthy right now. and i am exercising 5 days a week. doing 30 day shred for 20 minutes every day and not getting the results i want. better overall fitness level, but the scale and tape measure aren't moving to my liking. i really need to invest in an HRM so i have a better idea on the cals. I know my BMR right now is about 1800. i think i figured to be on target, i'd need to find a way to eliminate another 7000 - 10,500 a week. I eat 1,000 - 1,200 cals a day. I give myself a little wiggle room, but try to be on the low end.

If you had advice on workouts (that i can do at home) it would be really appreciated!! I am able to get to the gym on the weekends, just not during the week.
  • MinimizingMichelle
    Options
    It's STRONGLY recommended that you don't go below 1200 calories as it can cause malnutrition. I'm on a mission to lose 75 pounds, so I know how you feel about wanting to lose 3-5 pounds a weak, but the only way to do this is in an unhealthy fashion.

I lost 5.4 pounds my first week, but I only expect 1-2 for my second week. If I lose more I'll be thrilled, but if not then I'm not disappointed. Aiming too high will result in disappointment and as a result failure.

Even if you're eating a 1200 calorie diet, it's recommended that you "eat what you sweat". What I mean is: calories taken in minus calories burned should still not go below 1200 calories.

This isn't based upon something I've read. I've seen a dietitian, trainer, and my sister was a fitness advisor for the armed forces. Also, I work in healthcare.

My secrets to success (which I have had in the past but unfortunate medications have caused a huge backstep, but I was able to lose 30 pounds in a little over 2 months) include:

- 1200-1400 calories per day
    - 3-4 days per week of cardio workouts
    - protein in the morning
    - a cheat once a week (I choose to have mine on Saturday since it's my fave day of the week!)
    - nothing to eat 3 hours before bed
    - eat breakfast within 3 hours of waking up
    - WATER!
    - don't wait until you're starving to eat
    - eat until you're satisfied, not full

And don't forget, many people experience a week where they plateau (often the second week). This is simply the body adjusting to your diet and your metabolism generally adjusts.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i'm interested in trying to lose 5 lbs a week (give or take a pound or two). i have 110 to lose. if you've had any luck hitting this benchmark, i'd be curious what you are doing. i know, i didn't put it on over night (in fact, it took 6 years). but, i've been reading about rapid weight loss and it doesn't sound like it's the big deal they used to think it was. i find myself getting discouraged and then emotionally eating when the scale doesn't move like i think it should. i want to get rapid results.

i know there are no magic bullets. i'm looking for targets for calories in and time spent on exercise...and what kind you are doing.

my diet is pretty healthy right now. and i am exercising 5 days a week. doing 30 day shred for 20 minutes every day and not getting the results i want. better overall fitness level, but the scale and tape measure aren't moving to my liking. i really need to invest in an HRM so i have a better idea on the cals. I know my BMR right now is about 1800. i think i figured to be on target, i'd need to find a way to eliminate another 7000 - 10,500 a week. I eat 1,000 - 1,200 cals a day. I give myself a little wiggle room, but try to be on the low end.

If you had advice on workouts (that i can do at home) it would be really appreciated!! I am able to get to the gym on the weekends, just not during the week.

I think you are at the wrong place. Get in your car and drive to the nearest Dr. Bernstein diet clinic, that may be more up your ally. You will only find resistance here because the real MFPs are in it fot the long hard haul not the quick fix, MFP is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. If you have the "diet down packed" then why is your goal to lose 100 pounds?

I just think you aren't in the right mental state to be using this forum for weight loss but thats just my opinion.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Lib, you clearly started a fire-storm with your questions. I admire you for asking. It's important that you're excited about losing and have set a big goal for yourself. Plain and simple 1-2 LBS per week is the target you should shoot for, and let MFP tell you how many cals to eat at this weight loss clip. To avoid failure, eat all of your exercise calories, and don't fret if you happen to go over a little on non exercise days.

Focus on the benefits, not the daily grind. Know that in 52 weeks you can safely lose 104LBS, set a date one year from today and start dreaming of the new you at 104Lbs less. Find a picture of you at this weight, paste it to your mirror at home and let that become your new hero! Or find a picture of someone who probably weighs this amount and let that person become your hero.

Running is a great way to burn calories. Start slow -- try walking one minute, then slowly jog for 4 minutes. Start with a half mile, then a mile, then two, then three. You'll soon build up to 5-6 miles a run and will be amazed at how many calories you'll burn and how much your energy and eating and sleeping will improve. By all means, get a quality HRM. There's no substitute for the truth and a quality HRM and watch (Polar or Garmin) will give this to you.
  • penroseg
    penroseg Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Food for thought...

When I first started this journey, I ate the NET 1200. Want to know what happened? I gained 10 pounds. Yeah, great idea.

At the moment, I am eating a total of 2400 calories (or try at least - its hard). I've lost about a pound a week. I have also started doing P90X and weight train with my boyfriend. My results in the "how I look" department are already making me incredibly happy. I expect to have to go jeans shopping next month.

Honestly, not eating enough has only caused me to have to lose AN ADDITION 10 pounds from what I needed to before. Ditch your scale. Pick up some weights, and for heaven sakes eat something...You want to look like you did when you were 19 and curvy? Well, your 1000 calorie diet will NOT sustain muscle (WILL NOT HAPPEN) - you will end up looking thin at some point with no muscle definition and probably sickly. Not attractive.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    "
    Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from. "

That's all I got because I have no clue how to lose 3-5lbs a week.

Sorry, I had to quote this even though so many others have as well - it bears repeating. THANK YOU for posting it. I really needed to see it.
  • Acherona
    Acherona Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you have already heard it from everyone else but 1000-1200 is not enough, you need a bare minimum of 1200 to just work your body and that's without exercising. Everyone is different and needs different amounts and believe it or not you might need more to lose weight. My friend has just up her calories and is now losing weight. I found it hard to believe at first but trust me it works. Hope you can find something is works for you x
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    "i'm mostly looking for people who have had success attempting this rather than all the arguments against it."

If you are only looking for evidence that supports your plan of action, it's hard to believe that you are serious about loosing weight and getting healthy. Your concern should be to find the right program and try it......not pick a program and only listen to the "good" views. Sorry if that's mean, b!tchy, etc.... but it's the truth.

I would NOT try to loose 3 to 5 lbs a week. This might happen in the first two or three weeks (especially if you cut carbs, etc), but it is not healthy to try to maintain that kind of loss. At that rate you are going to more damage than good. Not only will you lose fat, you'll lose lean muscle. I understand that you want to lose weight and do it fast, but if you want to really change your lifestyle you have to do it slow and steady.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady...all the way. It will be worth it, this is about sustaining for LIFE, not a crash diet.

On the other hand you could eat 1000 cals and burn 1000 in cardio each day - that might work? :yawn:
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    the bigger you are the more you can loose within a week. its said for 'normal' individuals its safe to loose between 1 - 2 lbs a week. im a certified weight loss and management specialist . providing your diet keeps all your essential vits etc then it should be fine seeing as your weigh is a little higher than the average person (i feel so horrid saying things like that sorry sorry sorry). however as your weight begins to drop you will see a natural steadying to your loss and as your weight normalises then you will have to reconsider your goals.... bu 3 - 5t is a doable and realistic target to begin your journey with!!!!!!!
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Doing quick loss like that does many things for you. Not good at all, your setting yourself up for failure.. You could damage your thyroid, it affects your personality and many other problems. Not to mention, once you stop doing what your doing to lose an extreme 5 pounds a week, you will gain it back. Your body isn't getting any fuel. I'd be dropping dead eating that low.. I stopped losing weight for a week ate more and down 2 pounds. You need to eat!!! I'm no expert but I have lost a lot of weight. Good Luck with your journey! I'm on day 3 of level 2 of the 30 day shred and I have no idea how your surviving at all! lol Eat! Please don't be afraid to eat..:wink:
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Kapeluza!

Outstanding post. I think Mike should hire you.