Too much fibre

Options
2»

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    MFP has my fiber set at 14. I usually go over with protein and fiber, even if I stay within my allotted calories.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 700-800 grams of vegies (I'd say 200 grams of fiber) --> useless
    150 grams (around 35-40 grams) --> perfect
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I aim to get more fibre than recommended at the moment, I need it to counteract the effects of some pain medication I'm taking. I'd maybe thinking about making changes if you are having problems with bm's if not I can't see the problem.
  • theweightinggame
    Options
    Hi, the recommended amount for a woman age 19 - 50 is 21 grams per day. There is soluble and insoluble. Fiber is a complex carb and we cannot absorb or digest it. It provides us with a minimal amount of energy. Water attaches itself to the fiber molecules as it passes through the intestines which is the reason why it helps treat or eliminate constipation. It can help lower cholesterol, regulate blood glucose levels, and help prevent diverticular disease. I honestly don't know if there a maximum amount of grams. It takes a while to pass through your body which helps you feel full longer so you may eat less. I hope this helps you. Have a great day!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I actually had this question the other day because I was finding that I am over my recommended fiber intake every day.

When I went searching on google this is what I had found:

Even if your digestive tract is accustomed to high levels of fiber, over time this can have adverse effects. Taking in too much fiber can result in fiber moving too fast through the digestive tract, preventing vitamins and minerals from being absorbed and/or used. This is particularly true of insoluble fibers, which can block the absorption of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and iron. Because fiber is also responsible for adding bulk to the stool, too much fiber can cause blockages in the gastrointestinal tract.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/272161-is-there-such-a-thing-as-too-much-fiber-in-a-diet/#ixzz1nxsPrRwh

I guess like everything else too much of a good thing can turn into a bad thing... Trick is eating, drinking and doing everything in moderation.