Never done strength training before! Help!!

Options
Now that I am getting my diet under control, and doing some form of cardio every day, I want to start strength training.. But I don't know what to do!!

Any ideas? Links? Routines?

I don't have access to a gym at the moment, and the only weights I have is 1 dumbell with 2 2.5 kilo weights.

Replies

• akiramezu
    Options
    Not enough weight on those dumbbells

people starting out weight training both men and women should do
    squat, bench press and dead lifts.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Ummm, hang on, that dumbell is probably at least 2.5 + 2.5 + 1.5 (for the bar) = 6.5 kilos or 14lbs. That is plenty heavy enough to start with!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Any other tips and advice would be appreciated too :)
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've just started lifting as well. The book New Rules of Lifting for Women was heavily recommended to me. It seems to be a really good book so far.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Download Stronglifts 5x5 or starting Strength!
    2 of the easiests routines to get into and they only need 3 days a week in the gym.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    To add to that, I'm currently using 5lb and 9lb weights for my programme and I ache the next day. If you are brand new to strength training surely it is better to start light (as long as you still get to failure in a reasonable number of reps) that start too heavy, risk injury, and put yourself off?
  • SilverStrychnine
    Options
    Download Stronglifts 5x5 or starting Strength!
    2 of the easiests routines to get into and they only need 3 days a week in the gym.

Like I said, I don't have access to a gym.
  • SilverStrychnine
    Options
    I've just started lifting as well. The book New Rules of Lifting for Women was heavily recommended to me. It seems to be a really good book so far.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that :)
  • SilverStrychnine
    Options
    Ummm, hang on, that dumbell is probably at least 2.5 + 2.5 + 1.5 (for the bar) = 6.5 kilos or 14lbs. That is plenty heavy enough to start with!

That's what I though. It's heavy enough to be a challenge for me, but not so heavy that I'm likely to hurt myself. I can do 8 bicep curls before it starts to burn, then I can manage 4 more :)
  • cairney4698
    Options
    Hey you!!!

It is just like everything else you need to start with a routine that is a challenge but does not become too excessive that you may cause injury to yourself and then you need to work yourself up to more reps and heavier weights.

Hope you are well today, you have been quiet on the message front!!
  • SilverStrychnine
    Options
    Hey yourself!!

I have been out and about today, for once lol.

Thanks for your advice :heart:
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

I'm on week 7, it's a 12 week trainer, breaks down nutrition, exercises for each day. It's free too. I love it.
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    Have you checked out Body Rock TV? I haven't used it personally, but I've seen it mentioned here before. Their workouts are all performed at home.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/
  • NonchalantX
    NonchalantX Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to really get much strength training from that sized weights, however, muscle endurance (higher amounts of reps with lower weights) is excellent for your body. Doing cardio will have already helped with that but depending upon which activities you're doing some parts of your body may be neglected. Obviously the more amounts of muscles requiring higher amounts of energy shifts your BMR meaning you can even consume slightly more calories each day to maintain these muscles

Simple bicep curls, pressups, chair dips and hammer curls will already start to improve the core muscle groups. If you have a bench you could start doing bench press and flys for chest muscle groups. Dumbbell bent-over row should help your back. (google these to show you ways of doing them).

Ultimately if you want muscle strength you'll probably need to get some more equipment but it's not entirely necessary
  • knelson422
    Options
    I started the DVD Bob Harper, Pure Strength, It is really great. I got it at Amazon.com. It is very challenging, but you do what you can and see yourself improve and get strong very quickly. There is a beginner workout, and then the intense one. Good luck!!
  • Smuterella
    Options
    You won't be able to really get much strength training from that sized weights, however, muscle endurance (higher amounts of reps with lower weights) is excellent for your body.

I do wish men would stop coming in and saying things like this to women. At the start of a strength training programme some women can get to failure on under 12 reps with a 5lb weight. I did! These weights are 14lbs and are more than likely enough for a beginner. I still couldn't lift these more than 6 times on a bicep curl without hurting myself.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Its very easy to learn.

Dont let ego (trying to lift as much weight as you can) hurt your form while doing weightlifting. Always do it in proper form

exrx.net is a good reference website to start it out.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do a search on body weight workouts. There are alot of things you can do with a sturdy chair, wall and floor and just your body. Sam's club had a brochure with 5 exercises you can do, I'm sure it's out on the web some where.
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Now that I am getting my diet under control, and doing some form of cardio every day, I want to start strength training.. But I don't know what to do!!

Any ideas? Links? Routines?

I don't have access to a gym at the moment, and the only weights I have is 1 dumbell with 2 2.5 kilo weights.
    never mind