Realistic Body Fat %?

Options
I've kind of adjusted my weight loss/fitness goals to not really worry about my weight so much as my body fat percentage. The only thing is, I'm having a hard time figuring out what an optimal (and realistic) body fat % goal for me would be. The trainers at my gym are very helpful and will do a body comp test for me whenever I want, so I had one done recently and plan to have another one in a couple months to check my progress.

Currently I'm at 5'3", 159 lbs and 33% body fat (and I'm a 27 year old woman).I was told that "optimal" range for me would be 18%-22%. How realistic of a goal is 18%-20%? I am not trying to be a fitness model or anything, just want to really lower my body fat percentage and work on my speed/distance as a runner. From what I can gather, the less fat you've got to truck around, the faster and further you can run (with proper training of course).

Any trainers care to comment or let me know what a realistic goal bf% would be? Pictures of someone in that range would be helpful too. Thanks!

Replies

• Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Instead of striving for a specific number (weight or bodyfat%)

Work towards the "look" you want, and the level of athleticism you want to achieve. This is what I am doing. I am a martial artist in a style that is quite demanding. I also want to 'rock" a bikini when I am on vacation...LOL
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely looking to achieve a runner's body (running's my thing), and I tend to base how I'm progressing by how my clothes are fitting. I've gotten really good at not worrying about the # on the scale. I just don't want to find myself striving for something that's unrealistic for my body or not working hard enough/the right way to get the kind of results that I want.

This whole fitness thing is complicated! Haha
  • millikenhomeschool
    Options
    Is body fat the same as your BMI? IF not, how do you calculate your body fat?
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    Is body fat the same as your BMI? IF not, how do you calculate your body fat?

No. Your BMI is a pretty faulty # that really isn't good for measuring much. It basically takes your weight and height into account. The reason it's faulty is because you can have a 250 lb professional athlete with 8% body fat, but his BMI would be considered in the "unhealthy" range just because of his weight...even though it's all muscle.

Your body fat % is the measurement of how much of your body weight is pure fat. For women, under 30% is considered healthy, with 18-24 considered "optimal" (female athletes are generally in the 15-20% range). I had my body fat % measured by a trainer at my gym using my weight and height info entered into this handheld machine that sends a electro magnetic wave or something through your body, and then calculates how much of your body is lean mass (bones, muscle, internal organs, etc) and how much is fat. It's not 100% accurate, but it's the most accurate way of measuring. A lot of trainers will also measure using calipers, but I don't think they are as accurate.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    From what I've read the calipers used by an experienced person are more accurate than the electrodes.

18-20% is a very realistic goal, especially if you are a runner. You won't be "too lean" if that's what you are worried about.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    From what I've read the calipers used by an experienced person are more accurate than the electrodes.

18-20% is a very realistic goal, especially if you are a runner. You won't be "too lean" if that's what you are worried about.

Yeah, that was my worry. I just didn't know if 18-20% was too ambitious of a goal for a non-professional athlete. I mean, if I could get as lean as a pro athlete that'd be awesome, but I don't exactly have that kinda training time :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I had my body fat measured about 6 months ago and was at 19%. I'm 41 - and don't look anything like a fitness model. It's a very realistic goal.
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    18-20% is realistic and attainable, but to start, aim for 25% and see how you feel about the way you look. The way you carry your body fat will make a big difference in how you look, so shoot for a happy place in the healthy range.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've kind of adjusted my weight loss/fitness goals to not really worry about my weight so much as my body fat percentage. The only thing is, I'm having a hard time figuring out what an optimal (and realistic) body fat % goal for me would be. The trainers at my gym are very helpful and will do a body comp test for me whenever I want, so I had one done recently and plan to have another one in a couple months to check my progress.

Currently I'm at 5'3", 159 lbs and 33% body fat (and I'm a 27 year old woman).I was told that "optimal" range for me would be 18%-22%. How realistic of a goal is 18%-20%? I am not trying to be a fitness model or anything, just want to really lower my body fat percentage and work on my speed/distance as a runner. From what I can gather, the less fat you've got to truck around, the faster and further you can run (with proper training of course).

Any trainers care to comment or let me know what a realistic goal bf% would be? Pictures of someone in that range would be helpful too. Thanks!

fitness models are closer to 8% bf, 18-22% is a HEALTHY number, not an aesthetic number. Though, when you do get lower, it's naturally going to change you aesthetically by default.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Yeah, that was my worry. I just didn't know if 18-20% was too ambitious of a goal for a non-professional athlete. I mean, if I could get as lean as a pro athlete that'd be awesome, but I don't exactly have that kinda training time :)

I am under 18%...about 17% in my pic with the sweatpants. Right now I am a bit lower, and nowhere near looking ripped out. IMO. Everyone is different to a certain respect because of where they may hold bodyfat, but 18-20% is easy to maintain and doesn't look harsh at all on most women.

P.S. Those handheld fat measuring devices aren't that accurate, calipers done by an experienced person would be more accurate. A good personal trainer should be able to look at you and give a fairly close number.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The book Racing Weight may be of interest to you. It gives you a formula to build on as far as your "ideal" goal weight or body fat%. It's very interesting and has some really super ideas and things to help as a runner.

I'm presently about 15-17% body fat. I'm 5'4" and 120+/- about 3 lbs.

I've read somewhere that you can't see a woman's abs until the body fat is below 20%. Age matters too - I'm the "over 40" crowd. I wear a size 0 at present and it's on the 'bigger' side for me.

HTH from a 'real' person perspective. I'm currently race training for a half, will take a few weeks off and start training for at least 1 full if not 2 full marathons this year. My body fat has dropped more using the new P90X2 program and nutrtution guide.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Here are some images that may give you an idea of what different body fat % look like. These are really estimates, and not perfect, everyone's body looks different. For example, I am around 24%, and I have a friend that is 33%, and honestly she looks much better in a bikini than me, but she is Brazilian so I think it is just in the genes! ;)

Bodyfat.png
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Here are some images that may give you an idea of what different body fat % look like. These are really estimates, and not perfect, everyone's body looks different. For example, I am around 24%, and I have a friend that is 33%, and honestly she looks much better in a bikini than me, but she is Brazilian so I think it is just in the genes! ;)

Bodyfat.png

might also be self consciousness, cuz you look good to me
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Bodyfat.png
    having a close friend that does comp i have a hard time believing that lower one is 15% ... none of the girls she competes with are ever that "high".
    it does look different on different people for sure though!
  • freaksfitness
    Options
    I am shooting for a certain body fat percentage by summer. I had mine tested by skin calipers the day after thanksgiving. That is my new annual tradition. Right at the start of the six week fat fest known as the holidays.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Healthy range for women under 40 is anywhere from 21-33% - just figure out what works for you.

Some women can maintain lower %s, but "fitness" levels are 21-24% so you really have no reason to want to go below that unless you want to be some sort of fitness competitor.

ETA - I'm at about 22%, down from a whopping 56% at my heaviest
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's definitely realistic. Depending on your build, a slightly higher % might even give you the 'runners body' look you want.

I'm 5'6.5" and my starting body fat % was 35.3%. Now I'm down to about 22%. It took me about 10 months to get there.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Realistic is 18-25%. Remember it really depends where you body fat is distributed. If you are bottom heavy, 25% might be healthy compared to those who are apple shaped. So i would target to lose body fat around the chest and stomach area.

Has anyone got hydro-static weighed to determine you body fat? I am currently 10% body fat when I got weighed in January. With calipers, I was 12% and the scale said 24% (Big difference). I am runner, and I was told that i need to be at least 13-15% body fat to fuel my body (and it is healthier. I think i am too low). I think my running couch is right. I might be able to pull in faster during longer races. But most of my fat is in my legs.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I have an Omron scale which is supposedly fairly accurate for a home scale, and it measures mine at 22%. I am a vegetarian, 5'7" tall, weight between 115-120 pounds, and walk at a very fast pace, hoping to start running in the near future. I think it's a realistic percentage.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    Good food for thought y'all!! As far as the inaccuracy of the hand held body fat measuring thingy (technical term), would you say that it estimates high? Or low? Even if it's off, since I'm measuring using the same method I can at least see some sort of progress marker.

I measured at 33%, but given that I distribute my weight very evenly (thank God) I don't appear to be as overweight as I actually am....at least that's what people tell me anyway :)