Realistic Body Fat %?

Options

Replies

• athensguy
    Options
    Probably the best tests for Body Fat are BodPod, swimming pool volume, and DEXA scans.

I'm male, and I'd estimate my current body fat % to be around 12%. It wasn't that difficult to get there, and that percentage should be pretty similar to 20-22% for a female.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Good food for thought y'all!! As far as the inaccuracy of the hand held body fat measuring thingy (technical term), would you say that it estimates high? Or low? Even if it's off, since I'm measuring using the same method I can at least see some sort of progress marker.

I measured at 33%, but given that I distribute my weight very evenly (thank God) I don't appear to be as overweight as I actually am....at least that's what people tell me anyway :)

I had one done the other day that told me 19%. I don't think that's right. I'm probably more like 21-22%. I carry ALL my fat in my lower body and only one of the 7 points is on the lower body. I have current pictures in my profile.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Meredith, according to MFP, 18-25% is more realistic for you and me, at the happy height of 5'3".
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I'd say 18-22% is realistic for you. Female athletes ar earound 13-14%. I'm aiming for 14% myself, but I am competing again in September, otherwise this 19% works for me....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    18-20 is fine. I'm floating between 18-19 right now. I've had a lazy winter and I don't have the muscle definition that I did at the end of last summer but I'm okay with that. It won't take much to bring it back. (Muscles do have memory).

A very visual six-pack on a female usually means an unhealthy body fat (like 15%. The other picture is what I would call "skinny fat").

And most competing women only look like that during competition. They probably sit at around 18-19% the rest of the year.

Good luck with the running. Do some Googling on Chronic Cardio. Too much intense cardio exercise will do more for stripping away at your lean muscle mass then digging into your fat mass. Not to mention the strain it puts on your heart (I've heard a number of stories of very healthy marathon runners that have died from heart attacks at a young age.)
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I started @ 51% now im down to 29% - I was shocked because 2 more points im considered average. Im 6'2" and weigh 335 so that just goes to prove your weight doesn't always matter.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    18-20 is fine. I'm floating between 18-19 right now.

A six-pack on a female usually means an unhealthy body fat (like 15%. The other picture is what I would call "skinny fat").

And most competing women only look like that during competition. They probably sit at around 18-19% the rest of the year.

I'd have to agree with the last statement. (I'm sitting at 19% now).
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Here are some images that may give you an idea of what different body fat % look like. These are really estimates, and not perfect, everyone's body looks different. For example, I am around 24%, and I have a friend that is 33%, and honestly she looks much better in a bikini than me, but she is Brazilian so I think it is just in the genes! ;)

Bodyfat.png
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg

Anyone got the male version of this. Quite handy.

Finally got some callipers and did mine yesterday. A disappointing 27%. Don't think I have even got below 20-25%. This time I will!
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was like you when I started. 33% BF and highest weight at 165lbs. I now weigh 129lbs. I had my body fat tested with calipers and I was at 16%. The most accurate way to test BF is water submerssion if that is available to you in your area. Good luck! You can definitely hit the 18-22% range.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Here are some images that may give you an idea of what different body fat % look like. These are really estimates, and not perfect, everyone's body looks different. For example, I am around 24%, and I have a friend that is 33%, and honestly she looks much better in a bikini than me, but she is Brazilian so I think it is just in the genes! ;)

Bodyfat.png
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg

Anyone got the male version of this. Quite handy.

Finally got some callipers and did mine yesterday. A disappointing 27%. Don't think I have even got below 20-25%. This time I will!

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • btdublin
    Options
    Thanks you. Here they are for men:

male-body-fat-percentages-pictures.jpg
    pictures-of-body-fat-percentages.jpg

Seems a much bigger difference between 20% and 25% on the men, not helped by the model they have choosen for 20%. I am definitely closer to the 20% pic (although much less hair thank god) than the 25% pic, even though I was recently measured at c. 27%. Depends on muscle levels I suppose.
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    jh3atg.png
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    "Most women need to have 15 to 20% body fat to be able to have any periods, and at least 20 to 25% to have them regularly." - 'Women's stuff by Kaz Cooke'

I've supposedly been as low as 16%, according to electronic measurements, not callipers, and I can vouch that TOM got strange when body fat got low. I don't plan to go under 20% again... I don't need to be an athlete.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If you go to my profile and look at all my pics that is when I had 25% body fat. The only time my body fat % has been less is when I ran cross country in college (we ran for 2 hours a day and lifted every week) and it was 18%. For me personally, unless I was to return to elite athletics I will never again be 18%. I am totally fine with that as I was 100% thrilled with 25%.
  • mickyjd
    Options
    Instead of striving for a specific number (weight or bodyfat%)

Work towards the "look" you want, and the level of athleticism you want to achieve. This is what I am doing. I am a martial artist in a style that is quite demanding. I also want to 'rock" a bikini when I am on vacation...LOL

I love this post - great attitude.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Thanks you. Here they are for men:

male-body-fat-percentages-pictures.jpg
    pictures-of-body-fat-percentages.jpg

Seems a much bigger difference between 20% and 25% on the men, not helped by the model they have choosen for 20%. I am definitely closer to the 20% pic (although much less hair thank god) than the 25% pic, even though I was recently measured at c. 27%. Depends on muscle levels I suppose.

Looking at the pics...I seem to be around the 14% pic...But i was measured earlier in the week via calipers and am registering 23%....So i guess every individual is completely different.
  • btdublin
    Options

Looking at the pics...I seem to be around the 14% pic...But i was measured earlier in the week via calipers and am registering 23%....So i guess every individual is completely different.

Good to hear that, thanks. I think callipers need to be used as a personal guide to track progress and not as a comparison to others.

I am targeting looking like 14%!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I was like you when I started. 33% BF and highest weight at 165lbs. I now weigh 129lbs. I had my body fat tested with calipers and I was at 16%. The most accurate way to test BF is water submerssion if that is available to you in your area. Good luck! You can definitely hit the 18-22% range.

You look great. Impressive results.
  • bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
    [/quote]

Thanks for this link. Trying to work out my BF %