33.8 % of adult Americans are OBESE.

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    These statistics are based on BMI - and BMI is faulty. All it is is a height to weight ratio. A body builder can have the same BMI as an obese man.

I wouldn't put too much into those numbers.

While true, that doesn't account for changes over time (e.g., 17% in year X and 33% in year Y). There just aren't that many bodybuilders (or similar) to have much of an impact on the overall rate, either, I would guess.

And it's only male bodybuilders. I have yet to see a woman where BMI didn't apply correctly.

<---- barely out of overweight (by half a pound yay) and will probably get back into it at my next bulk

Really? I stand corrected then. I could gain 7 more pounds before getting out of a healthy BMI.

I think BMI is really weird for us shortis
  • kala_rebecca
    Options
    I used to be "too fat" and now I'm "too skinny".

At 149 lbs, I'm hardly skinny, but people will find something wrong with you no matter what.

I also agree that it seems as though Americans have a warped sense of a "normal size". I am just noticing this now that I'm closer to a healthy size, though. I wear a size SMALL. SMALL! Who would think that 149 lbs wears a size small!? I'm 5'4", so it's not like I'm tall either.

Yay! For vanity sizing? :glasses:

Wearing a size small has done wonders for my vanity, but it doesn't feel like I earned it :P
  • egelderm
    Options
    ahhh! I agree with you. I eat a ton of veggies and fruit, and overweight people always comment "don't you want real food" and start listing stuff like burgers, pizza and fries....People are just uneducated about what is healthy and not healthy. It's frustrating, but carry on being healthy :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    That's it?
  • brooksingletary
    brooksingletary Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Slightly OT, but still trying to get my head around the concept of "deep-fried butter"...

Yeah, they have it at the Texas State Fair (along with deep fried oreos, snickers, queso, bubblegum, bacon...you name it, us southerners can deep fry it). It's basically like a biscuit completely soaked in butter then thrown into the deep fryer. It makes my arteries clog up just thinking about it.

It's quite surprising that we don't have a higher obesity rate than Mississippi or Alabama, because of all this... we also *love* our BBQ and chicken fried (insert meat here)...

And don't forget the gift from God that is Mexican food (a little more prevalent the further south you go in TX). Good lord I could go to TOWN on some Mexican food. Hence why I'm 30 lbs overweight...

MMM.... yes, Mexican food... There is a place in OKC that makes AWESOME tortilla's and queso... and it's a good thing they aren't here in Texas otherwise, I would be more overweight than I already am.

Please PLEASE tell me you are talking about Ted's. Took some people there from Philadelphia this fall (OU grad) and they about died when we sat down at Ted's for all the free tortillas, queso, peppers, onions...okay...getting hungry
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    That's it?

What do you mean? Were you expecting more controversy?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    While I think body shaming is wrong (no matter what size you are) this whole "embrace your womanly body" bullshiz makes me crazy.

I am an ardent supporter of embracing your womanly body. Unfortunately we fail to embrace the fact that a womanly body comes in lots of different packages.

For some women that means curvy hips, for some that means muscular thighs, or big boobs, or small ones, or big arms, or small ones. The best thing you can do is be your best YOU. Your best "you may not look anything like my best "me."

That's what I mean. I realize it probably came across wrong--by the "embrace your womanly body" thing I meant when people tell us to embrace being overweight because it gives us womanly curves. A woman can be fit and still womanly! Or naturally curvaceous, or whatever. People focusing less on the health but more on the appearance bothers me.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    That's it?

I was responding the the OP. I'm surprised the number is only 33.8%
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree completely, it's very annoying! I got "you're too skinny" when my body fat was 27%! Some people will say that to anyone smaller than themselves, lol...
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but i agree to a certain extent about people being concerned with media portrayals of both men and women being underweight. I don't think that being overweight is something to be encouraged, but you only need be on these boards 10 minutes before coming across some form of disordered eating, someone pushing the limits of caloric deficit in the name of quick results, or a 19 year old at 114lbs complaining about her "saddlebags". One of my bosses daughters asked me how many calories were in the jelly beans on my desk. She's about 9.

I think both extremes are pretty tied into one another and the fixation on "weight" rather than healthful living.
    ^this^

<3
  • Rae6503
    Options
    That's it?

It's only 20% in Colorado.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Slightly OT, but still trying to get my head around the concept of "deep-fried butter"...

Oh, you obviously aren't from the south.
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    That's it?

its huge in Utah! i just looked it up. adults overweight or obese - 60.1% (23.2% of that is obese, the rest over weight), 21.5% of Utah elementary school students are overweight or obese, 20.4% of Utah high school students are overweight or obese. and those #s are from 2008 so it could be even higher now
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Oh, you obviously aren't from the south.
    Nope, Indiana. Make no mistake, deep frying is popular here. It's just not done with quite as much zeal.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Instead of "Wow, you look great, good for you." I get the "don't get too skinny." It drives me crazy I sometimes want to say "hey, don't get too fat." I spend a lot of time biting my tongue.

LMAO!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    That's it?

its huge in Utah! i just looked it up. adults overweight or obese - 60.1%, 21.5% of Utah elementary school students, 20.4% of Utah high school students are overweight or obese. wow those numbers are really high!

This says Utah is 22.5% obese. I was just talking "obese" not "overweight".

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Indiana for me, too. As of last July, Indiana was 29%
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    That's it?

its huge in Utah! i just looked it up. adults overweight or obese - 60.1%, 21.5% of Utah elementary school students, 20.4% of Utah high school students are overweight or obese. wow those numbers are really high!

This says Utah is 22.5% obese. I was just talking "obese" not "overweight".

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
    yeah i just saw that on a different website.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Indiana for me, too. As of last July, Indiana was 29%
    Wow, that's actually a little lower than I would have expected.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading...