Has anyone recently completely cut out soda?

Options
I'm new to the site, and new to the concept of trying to lose weight the right way. As a start I decided to cut out soda- I live on a college campus and even before that I was a huge soda drinker. I drank it with every meal, and had anywhere from 2-5 cans a day. I stopped drinking it on Wednesday and really upped the amount of water I drink, but I've been getting these headache's all of the time. Could it be from the soda, has anyone else had this issue? I've been eating better too, but I really don't think that's causing it.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone gets headaches when they stop drinking soda/caffeine.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I only drink caffeine free/calorie free pepsi when I do at all. I dropped 7 pounds in two weeks just from that before I started on this site.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    I haven't had a soda since probably last year. And I definitely do not miss it! I got headaches from the beginning but it was from lack of caffeine. I had cut down on coffee as well. My body adjusted and now, I don't even like the taste of it! Good luck!!
  • lilfurson
    Options
    I used to drink 1-2 2-Liters of Diet Mt Dew a day. Completely gave it up for this year. Had to take excedrin during the day for a week and at night for almost 2 weeks. Then I was clean. :)

I haven't looked back since.
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that!! I am happily off all caffiene for 3 months!! I was a tad cranky at first, but exercise helped alot and now I feel great!!
  • slim422
    slim422 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yep completely gone for months now, only exception is Krisda cola for mix in liquor drinks as it's sweetened with stevia but no sugar and particularly no artificial sweeteners
  • auddiejo
    Options
    I haven't had a soda since Christmas!! It's possible!
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i never drink soda... not even diet..
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    2 weeks in with no soda....at least 32 oz (if not more) a day...you are having caffeine withdrawls. (and sugar). push through it...i had a cup or two of hot tea with caffeine to help, but it's up to . it will go away eventually.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I manage to go days without one, then I break down and have a couple. I always hate myself when I do tho.
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    its going to take some time for your body to get used to not having soda, and if you do ever drink it again it wont taste as good as you thought it did before you cut it out...keep at it and you will feel the difference.
  • becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The headaches are from caffeine withdrawal. Eventually you can ween yourself off caffeine, but you will have headaches until you're over it. Try drinking tea instead. Not only does it have a smaller amount of caffeine and no calories, it also has antioxidants.
  • shaybethxo
    shaybethxo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i have, but then again i didn't really drink it before - maybe twice a week. i don't have much caffeine either, one or two cups of tea or coffee a week.
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the site, and new to the concept of trying to lose weight the right way. As a start I decided to cut out soda- I live on a college campus and even before that I was a huge soda drinker. I drank it with every meal, and had anywhere from 2-5 cans a day. I stopped drinking it on Wednesday and really upped the amount of water I drink, but I've been getting these headache's all of the time. Could it be from the soda, has anyone else had this issue? I've been eating better too, but I really don't think that's causing it.

Caffeine withdraw cause the headache. I quit drinking soda in October 2011. If you start back up after awhile it burns your throat too. I don't plan on drinking soda anymore because well I get addicted to it. one soda leads to 3 a day or more and I just can't do that, 1. it's too expensive and 2. it's not healthy.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking pop in 2009. :) I just have a tea in the morning for my caffeine. lol
  • Mariana_87
    Options
    Yes, I stopped drinking Mountain Dew cold turkey... Lets just say it lasts about a week or two. Sorry your going through with it.!!!
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options

yep, definitely caffeine withdrawal....give it about 10 days- 2 weeks and they should stop
  • wellthis
    Options
    I think its definietely the soda (or lack of it) that's causing the headaches. Both my husband and I drink soda regualrly and then have gotten "off" it and say to each other, "I have a soda headache." If you still get them, have 1 if you want and cut them out a little more slowly. If you can hang with the headaches and just want to get it over with cold turkey, go for it!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I spent a month cutting myself down slowly because the last time I tried to go off I caved because of the headaches. This time I got down to the 8oz mini cans and then I went as long as I could each day without getting a headache. When I got to where I had a headache a night I took tylenol and went to bed and didn't have any again after that. Its been less than two weeks ago but I know getting past that hump was all I needed. I won't go back!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    i switched to drinking soda water. NOT 'Tonic Water' or 'Club Soda' (those have sodium bicarbonate and salt or other things in them) but 'seltzer water'. In the PNW we have Talking Rain, and when I have that soda craving, I buy a 2 liter bottle of that. Just carbonated water and lemon/lime essence. There is berry and orange flavors. Zero calories, no sweeteners, all natural.

At restaurants I order it with lemon and lime (or bring my lemon powder to add to it). I get the carbonation I crave, but it's water.

Maybe once a month I will drink regular soda...but it is usually one made with cane sugar.