Steel Cut Oats in Rice Cooker

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I make mine the night before. 20 minutes on the stove-low low heat. 2 cups is 8 servings. I use my food scale to measure 6 ounces which usually ends up being 1/8 of the total (140calories) and then add 1/2 cup light soy milk, 0.5 ounces sliced almonds, 1/2 cup strawberries and some truvia sweetener. it's about 280 calories and ooohhh sooo delicious.
    I'm confused about how much a person can have for 140 calories? On my package it says 1/4 cup is 140 calories. I took that to mean 1/4 cups of the finished product. When I enter it in my food, most of the entries say 1/4 c. dry? I think I'm correct in saying that 1/4 cup dry (when cooked) would be more than 1/4 cups of the cooked oats.

1/4 cup dried is 1/2 cup cooked.

I measured and tested last night.

And enjoyed this morning!!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Do the steel cut oats have a different texture than the basic oatmeal that comes in the packages??

Oh yes! The instant stuff pounded and rolled and have all the good stuff removed. I never knew what I was missing!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

what's the difference between Frozen steel cut, quick cook steel cut and irish steel cut? Those are the kind listed for trader joe's.

I think that they also call the steel cut oats Irish oats or also pinhead oats. Not sure about the quick cook, haven't seen them? Maybe they're cut in smaller pieces like the quick cooking whole oats are?

I cook mine on the stove, but make a large batch and keep them in the fridge for up to 5 days. (my dh and kids love them for breakfast so I just reheat).

Last time I made them, I made multi-grain by using 1 c. steel cut oats (that was all I had left!), 1 c. hot wheat cereal, and 1/4 c. ground flaxseed. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Do the steel cut oats have a different texture than the basic oatmeal that comes in the packages??

Definitely a different texture. My 10 yo thinks rolled oats taste *slimy* but loves steel cut oats. They're a little chewier, but you can cook them longer if you want them less chewy also.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have trouble with the normal oats cuz they're kida mushy. That's why I'm interested in the steel cut ones. Think I'll head over to trader joe's and grab some to try!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    thanks for the great ideas. IceP let me know how you like them:flowerforyou: