The future of our nation...........

Options
13»

Replies

• Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This is just awful. When I was 14 years old I thought every subject in school was extremely useful and important, I can't believe what the world is coming to.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My mom and sister are both teachers and hate NCLB. They have to deal with its affects everyday as they teach at the middle and high school levels.

Yes, many teachers hear from their union rep how bad NCLB is and they jump on board. I taught at the middle school level 2 years ago. There were no extra requirements for me. Just to do my damn job and make sure the kids learned the information in the curriculum. Every student in my class tested proficient on their STAR tests. And I never worked past 4 o'clock at all during the entire school year.

My mom/sister's system don't have a union. So it always just teachers that are in unions that have that opinion.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If there's anything I ever need to know/remember, Google's there for a reason. I know it's not ALWAYS the answer, but my brain would never remember all that unnecessary info.
    Good for you that you're well rounded, and I see what you mean, but for MY life I don't think I'll need to know anything more than the basics. Trying to teach me and 99% of teens/kids out there anything more than the basics for math and some other subjects is a waste of everyone's time.
    Those classes should be changed for money management classes or something to prepare kids for things they'll actually need to know.

But in money management people do use algebra, it isn't unnecessary. (And alegebra includes using many basic math functions.) For example: You earn $1000 and have $950 in bills/expenses, so you are left with $50 to do with as you want every month. You want a PS Vita with 3G and WiFi which costs $300.00. At minimum, how many months (X) will it take you to save for it? $300 = $50X (Yes this is a very basic algebra problem and is basically division, but it's still algebra.) If you throw in interest rates or more complex money management ideas and algebra and other higher mathematics will be necessary in the class.