Your barbell squat vs. deadlift weight

Options
bizco
bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
Can you lift more weight doing a barbell back squat or a barbell deadlift? How much more? Or are they equal?

Not really interested in 1 rep max stats but rather let's assume you're doing 3 sets of 6 reps.

Thank you!

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I can definitely deadlift more than squat. I'm at 130lbs on deadlift and 105 on squats.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am around 20-25bls lower on squats then deads (when I did them frequently I was up to 265x4 on squats and 285x4 on Deads at body weight of 145lbs) My current gym only has a smith machine So I have not done this weight in years now.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I can definitely deadlift more than I can squat. My back squats are 155lbs and my deadlifts are 190lbs. Even when I started lifting my deadlifts were always quite a bit more.
  • chiccaroline
    chiccaroline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My deadlift is at 130lbs, my squat is 80lbs.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I was always able to do much more deadlifting that squats. Squats my problems were getting low enough and bringing it back up. Deadlift you're just picking up.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I can deadlift 150 lbs for 8 reps. If I'm going *kitten* to grass (as they say) then I can only barbell squat about 100 lbs for 8.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I squat more than I deadlift. But I'm also somewhat worried about my form on deadlift and I haven't really tried to go a lot heavier til I make sure it's good.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    For 3 sets of 8 I can squat 115 lbs and deadlift 185 lbs. My weight is 146 lbs.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    PR is 125lbs for squats and 150lbs for deadlifts. My body weight is 110lbs.

Typically though, I can do 3 sets of 8 at 95lbs for squats and 3 sets of 8 at 125lbs for deadlifts.
  • princesspita
    princesspita Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My deadlift at 5 reps is 215lbs and my squat at 5 reps is 175lbs. I have no idea what my 1RM max is currently for either of my lifts.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My deadlift is higher, but there's not much difference in it for me right now as I had to drop the deadlift weight recently for a form issue.

Currently training on:
    Squats: 110lbs
    Deadlifts: 110-154lbs (the weight changes with each set)

The most I've ever done on squats was 154lbs (3 reps) and for deadlift 220lbs (1 rep)
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    I can definitely deadlift more than I can squat. My back squats are 155lbs and my deadlifts are 190lbs. Even when I started lifting my deadlifts were always quite a bit more.

In terms of doing 3 sets of 6 I can't say exactly just because I train a bit differently than that, but I know doing sets of multiple reps my deadlift is around 175lbs and my back squat is around 135-140lbs. The numbers I gave above are about a month old, so judging by the number of reps I'm getting just below they may have increased.

But really whether we're talking maxes or multiple reps, it's still the same difference.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Normally this would be the case, a lifter being able to deadlift more than a squat but this is not the case for me.

I'm 6'3 226 lbs.

Monday squats were 385 x 3 x 5
    Deadlifts are 225 x 3 x 5

I've been working at them for a while, followed good training video / instructions by Rip but I've shown almost no progression on Deadlifts.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Squats 95lbs
    Deads 165lbs
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Squats 225
    DL 315

Not sure about 1RM
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Can you lift more weight doing a barbell back squat or a barbell deadlift? How much more? Or are they equal?

Not really interested in 1 rep max stats but rather let's assume you're doing 3 sets of 6 reps.

Thank you!

You should ALWAYS be able to deadlift more then you squat just because of the mechanics involved.

My deadlift is almost twice what my squat is, but its starting to become grip limited.... I can only hold on so hard.

btw, if you're doing squats and deadlifts in the same workout, you dont need to do several sets of deadlifts.. just do your squats, then something else, and when you get to deadlifts 1 set should leave you dead tired.. lol.
  • gp79
    Options

You should ALWAYS be able to deadlift more then you squat just because of the mechanics involved.

My deadlift is almost twice what my squat is, but its starting to become grip limited.... I can only hold on so hard.

btw, if you're doing squats and deadlifts in the same workout, you dont need to do several sets of deadlifts.. just do your squats, then something else, and when you get to deadlifts 1 set should leave you dead tired.. lol.

Always, is not the correct word here. I'm a perfect case of this.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Always, is not the correct word here. I'm a perfect case of this.

that is exceptionally odd considering they use the same muscles.... except the deadlift has more of a mechanical advantage then the squat.
    are you being limited by your grip?

or, and I believe this is likely to be the case based on your numbers.... you are not going *kitten* to ground (or atleast full parallel) on your squats.. this can REALLY jack up the squat numbers.. but will show on your deadlifts as theres no real way to "cheat" them from the ground.
  • gp79
    Options
    This was taken back in mid December for a form check.

http://youtu.be/336SweChkSQ?hd=1

My issue with DL's are form. Grip is fine. My upper back rounds slightly and it keeps me from doing the lift correctly. I've spent 2 months doing other lifts (Good Mornings / Stiff Legged and some levers) to strengthen my back up some. No dice. I'm probably going to give Sumo's a try and see if I have better luck.
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    This was taken back in mid December for a form check.

http://youtu.be/336SweChkSQ?hd=1

My issue with DL's are form. Grip is fine. My upper back rounds slightly and it keeps me from doing the lift correctly. I've spent 2 months doing other lifts (Good Mornings / Stiff Legged and some levers) to strengthen my back up some. No dice. I'm probably going to give Sumo's a try and see if I have better luck.

To work on keeping that flat/non rounded back, we've been doing "3/4 deadlifts" at lighter weights. Basically, we do the deadlift but just up to the point that the bar is a few inches above the knee. We will do 4 reps like this, really focusing on our back, and then on the 5th rep open the hips and pull to a full deadlifts. I only went up to 155lbs on these, but it really helped to work on that form :)