My BMR is 1428--- SERIOUSLY. Know yours?

Options

Replies

• sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    How accurate is the MyFitnessPal BMR calculator?
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ok let's see if I got this right. My BMR is 1438.9. I work at a desk job and I don't always get to the gym and/or walk so I am not going to factor myself in as active, I am going to use sedetary and then log and eat back my exercise calories. So at 1438.9 x 1.2 is 1726 and if I want to lose 1 lb a week I -500 from that so my goal is 1226 a day, but log my exercise calories and them back. Correct?

If that is true - well its no wonder I haven't been losing weight. I thought I had all this figured out when I adjusted my goals about 3 weeks ago but I guess I did not understand it. Can someone tell me what I should set my % for fat, carbs and protein at? I am working out doing a personal training class 3 times a week, I walk for lunch almost every day for about 30 to 45 min. so I am fairly active when I put my mind to it.

Thanks!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How accurate is the MyFitnessPal BMR calculator?

This will depend mainly on the amount of muscle you have vs. what is used in the calculation. If you have higher than "normal" muscle mass your BMR will be higher (unless you have a thyroid issue), and on the flip side if you have lower muscle then normal your BMR will be lower then MFP predicts.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Ok let's see if I got this right. My BMR is 1438.9. I work at a desk job and I don't always get to the gym and/or walk so I am not going to factor myself in as active, I am going to use sedetary and then log and eat back my exercise calories. So at 1438.9 x 1.2 is 1726 and if I want to lose 1 lb a week I -500 from that so my goal is 1226 a day, but log my exercise calories and them back. Correct?

If that is true - well its no wonder I haven't been losing weight. I thought I had all this figured out when I adjusted my goals about 3 weeks ago but I guess I did not understand it. Can someone tell me what I should set my % for fat, carbs and protein at? I am working out doing a personal training class 3 times a week, I walk for lunch almost every day for about 30 to 45 min. so I am fairly active when I put my mind to it.

Thanks!

You are correct on the first part. and fat should be between 20 and 30% of total calories.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what you need to maintain life, basic functions. Basically in a coma or before you ever roll over or wake up in the bed. Growing hair, nails, etc etc. It is the minimum you should eat daily and does not take into account daily activity, job, chores, etc. much less daily exercise. You need to use your BMR to calculate your Maintenance based on activity level. But you should not eat below your BMR.

Read this again. Do NOT eat below your BMR or you're doing more damage to your body.

I just want to clarify something I am confused about. My BRM is 1428. It's telling me to eat 1200 calories per day on here to lose 1 lb per week. I was 140lbs and wanted to drop down to 130. I generally excercise every day and eat back my exercise calories. SO - I AM eating below my BMR. If I were to increase my net calories to 1428, it wouldn't hinder my weight loss?

that is what i needed to know too , i was so confused as to what to do. i also was 140 wanting to get to 130 and have been at a stand still for 2 months now... when i was at 1200 i lost 2-2.5 lbs a month, then i upped it to a .5 loss which was 1310 calories and i have gained 3 lbs!
  • erickirb
    Options
    Your BMR is what you need to maintain life, basic functions. Basically in a coma or before you ever roll over or wake up in the bed. Growing hair, nails, etc etc. It is the minimum you should eat daily and does not take into account daily activity, job, chores, etc. much less daily exercise. You need to use your BMR to calculate your Maintenance based on activity level. But you should not eat below your BMR.

Read this again. Do NOT eat below your BMR or you're doing more damage to your body.

I just want to clarify something I am confused about. My BRM is 1428. It's telling me to eat 1200 calories per day on here to lose 1 lb per week. I was 140lbs and wanted to drop down to 130. I generally excercise every day and eat back my exercise calories. SO - I AM eating below my BMR. If I were to increase my net calories to 1428, it wouldn't hinder my weight loss?

You should lose slower if you ate more, but a large % of the loss will come from fat instead of lean muscle.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You are correct on the first part. and fat should be between 20 and 30% of total calories.

Thank you!
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • Cimolestes
    Cimolestes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My BMR is currently 2500 and I'm on around 1500 a day and it is still a slow process losing weight! Ah well, not giving up this time...
  • TiffanyKinner
    TiffanyKinner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    According to MFP my BMR is 1492, moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55=2312.6.. SO I want to subtract at least 500 calories no more then 1000 to lose so I should consume say 1400-1800 calories?

Am I understand this correctly? I have been told I should NET 900-1200 calories. Then I am told I don't want to net. Really gets confusing sometimes :)

Thank you ♥

2090235.png
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2300 a day and I end around 2500+ a day net after exercise and still manage to lose weight. You don't need to ever eat under your BMR to lose weight trust me.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Finally took advantage of the fitness/planning tools at my local gym, only to find out my BMR is 1428.
    Lucky you, mine's 1076.

Fortunately, not actually spending all day lying in bed means we can both eat significantly more than our BMR. But yeah, it sucks.

Sorry, but it's tough to feel sorry for someone who can eat more than 350 calories a day more than me, just think what I could have with 350+ calories every single day... YUM!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    My BMR is currently 2500 and I'm on around 1500 a day and it is still a slow process losing weight! Ah well, not giving up this time...

That's probably the most unhealthy thing I've heard :( you are running a 1000 calorie deficit daily under your BMR, you cannot expect to stay healthy like that.
  • mudrykm
    Options
    You can stick to 1200, because it is really the minimum you would want for adequate nutrition. You would be fine with 1200-1400 if you want to lose weight. As many have said before, your BMR is the MINIMUM calories it takes your body to function. You should NEVER eat below your BMR because your body will start taking the calories from other places - muscle being one of them.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    You can stick to 1200, because it is really the minimum you would want for adequate nutrition. You would be fine with 1200-1400 if you want to lose weight. As many have said before, your BMR is the MINIMUM calories it takes your body to function. You should NEVER eat below your BMR because your body will start taking the calories from other places - muscle being one of them.

I have to ask how you came up with that philosophy not knowing her full body composition. How did you determine that 1200 provides adequate nutrition?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how you can set you mfp goal to your bmr? i was looking at it seems only to go to their settings? i want it at my bmr of 1252 not 1200..
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    does anyone know how you can set you mfp goal to your bmr? i was looking at it seems only to go to their settings? i want it at my bmr of 1252 not 1200..

Your goal should be above your BMR, remember your BMR is if in your basically in a coma and not moving. The fact that you walk around during the day, climb stairs, use your brain, etc...all of it eats into your calorie pool.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite BRM calculator. It's simple and will give you a good calorie goal.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

My BMR is 1440. I aim for a net of 1600 per day. On most days I will consume about 2000 and burn 400.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    What you NEED to know is your TDEE - then all this worrying about your BMR and your exercise calories is moot. Once you know how many calories you expend all day, you can create your deficit and lose more reliably.

Invest in a BodyMediaFIT or a BodyBugg and then you can eliminate all this fear and guesswork.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    your BMR just tells you how much you burn doing nothing. like laying in bed all day. you need to find your TDEE, subtract 15% from that in order to find out how much you need to eat to keep losing at a steady rate. O: