My BMR is 1428--- SERIOUSLY. Know yours?

Options

Replies

• Cimolestes
    Cimolestes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My BMR is currently 2500 and I'm on around 1500 a day and it is still a slow process losing weight! Ah well, not giving up this time...

That's probably the most unhealthy thing I've heard :( you are running a 1000 calorie deficit daily under your BMR, you cannot expect to stay healthy like that.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Go for it.

Sure, you'll get lots of "Your body will…". What some of those good folks are trying to say is share their experience or what they've read or heard and that's really good of them.

There can be negative side effects from a low calorie diet. There are studies that show that when you eat a diet of X, a certain percentage of the subjects experienced…, etc. etc.

What I haven't seen is what % of folks experience those same symptoms from no diet, from a moderate diet, etc.

I started losing weight on a low calorie diet and have had a superb experience. I would highly recommend a low calorie diet to people. And here's where you've got to use common sense.

A diet of 800 calories per day (I used 800 to 1000 calories per day) will help you drop weight very quickly. I cycled - 13 days of loss followed by 6.5 days of "recovery". During a loss phase, I dropped 0.78 pounds per day. Yup, over 3/4 of a pound per day.

The biggest issue I had to deal with was realizing that I was getting thinner so quickly. There were zero negative physical effects.

My thinking - cut your calories for a while and see what happens. If you feel like you have no energy, if you feel faint, etc. - if you feel any side effects at all, up your calories.

Despite all the admonitions you'll read, you're not going to roll over and die if you eat 1199 calories (yes, you'll burst into flames, though!) or 999 or 899 etc. You might feel hungry (I swapped my % for carbs and protein and I was hungry 5 times in 7 months) but, from what I've read, if you do feel a side effect, it's temporary.

And really, that makes sense doesn't it? Think about it. Humans have been on this earth for a few million years now. Until the last 100 years or so, poverty and hunger were the norm. D'ya think that after a few thousand generations our body and handle a few weeks of not eating enough? Silly question, I realize but we get so caught up in ourselves, sometimes we have to step back and think about things from a little different perspective, right?

My low calorie diet worked very, very well for me and, if you're interested in losing weight quickly, why not try it yourself?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    um, wah???? mine is 1219. count your blessings.
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! My head is spinning!
    I have a BMR of 1512 I am moderately active, (it's a secret please don't tell that I'm 40 :sad: ) So that means I need 2343 calories to maintain? I want to lose and I have my calories set at 1400 sometimes eat my exercise calories back, sometimes not so much.

Should I increase my calories? I've been losing by dribs and drabs... I feel so dumb...
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Mines 1,611
  • vannie18
    Options
    bump
  • Cimolestes
    Cimolestes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My BMR is currently 2500 and I'm on around 1500 a day and it is still a slow process losing weight! Ah well, not giving up this time...

That's probably the most unhealthy thing I've heard :( you are running a 1000 calorie deficit daily under your BMR, you cannot expect to stay healthy like that.

I'm under a doctor's care for this and considering they were suggesting bariatric surgery which would result in way fewer calories and drastic intervention, I'm trying this for now. I have felt tons better and my fitness levels have improved already with a very moderate increase in daily movement which I found difficult before. This isn't for everyone, I know that, and it is not for the long term. I do wonder what the calorie intakes are of the contestants on The Biggest Loser, as their weight losses are impressive, but they must burn a heck of a lot with all that intensive exercise. Anyone know?
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how you can set you mfp goal to your bmr? i was looking at it seems only to go to their settings? i want it at my bmr of 1252 not 1200..

My home---goals--- Change goals---custom

I actually set my daily goal to my maintence (tdee) and make sure I net at least my bmr. Makes it easier to track my weekly deficit.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    This is my favorite BRM calculator. It's simple and will give you a good calorie goal.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

My BMR is 1440. I aim for a net of 1600 per day. On most days I will consume about 2000 and burn 400.

THANK YOU!! this really helped me understand a bit better. im not eating enough, go figure.

do you follow the fat2fit program, does it really work? looking for honest opinions about it.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is just confusing me more. I have about 10 pounds left to lose. My BMR on here says1413. I'm on 1100 basic calories for a 1 pound loss per week. I've never been able to achieve a regular weight loss (it's taken me 4 years to lose 5 stone) and I'm 53 years old.

I exercise 5-6 times a week (running, brisk walking and the gym). I eat all my exercise calories and make sure I achieve my practically my net each and every day.

I have a desk job so I'm set at sedentary.

So what should I be eating?
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Go for it.

Sure, you'll get lots of "Your body will…". What some of those good folks are trying to say is share their experience or what they've read or heard and that's really good of them.

There can be negative side effects from a low calorie diet. There are studies that show that when you eat a diet of X, a certain percentage of the subjects experienced…, etc. etc.

What I haven't seen is what % of folks experience those same symptoms from no diet, from a moderate diet, etc.

I started losing weight on a low calorie diet and have had a superb experience. I would highly recommend a low calorie diet to people. And here's where you've got to use common sense.

A diet of 800 calories per day (I used 800 to 1000 calories per day) will help you drop weight very quickly. I cycled - 13 days of loss followed by 6.5 days of "recovery". During a loss phase, I dropped 0.78 pounds per day. Yup, over 3/4 of a pound per day.

The biggest issue I had to deal with was realizing that I was getting thinner so quickly. There were zero negative physical effects.

My thinking - cut your calories for a while and see what happens. If you feel like you have no energy, if you feel faint, etc. - if you feel any side effects at all, up your calories.

Despite all the admonitions you'll read, you're not going to roll over and die if you eat 1199 calories (yes, you'll burst into flames, though!) or 999 or 899 etc. You might feel hungry (I swapped my % for carbs and protein and I was hungry 5 times in 7 months) but, from what I've read, if you do feel a side effect, it's temporary.

And really, that makes sense doesn't it? Think about it. Humans have been on this earth for a few million years now. Until the last 100 years or so, poverty and hunger were the norm. D'ya think that after a few thousand generations our body and handle a few weeks of not eating enough? Silly question, I realize but we get so caught up in ourselves, sometimes we have to step back and think about things from a little different perspective, right?

My low calorie diet worked very, very well for me and, if you're interested in losing weight quickly, why not try it yourself?

I completly and utterly AGREE!! FINALLY someone who does it the same way as me! The only way I lose my pregnancy weight (3 times I've put on 35-45 KGS!) is low carb and low calorie. I mean under 1000cals a day food plus I do about 400cals exercise and I don't eat them back. I've done this many times and I'm not dead! Also when I've reached my goal I can eat normally again and not gain (I only gain when I'm pregnant) Peoples bodies work in different ways. You need to find out what works for you :)

So far I've been dropping a kg a week (2.2lbs I think?) and I'm super stoked, I don't feel tired or faint etc, feel the best I've felt in a long time
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm confused mine is 1624 but this site has recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day...you guys are all saying that I should be eating the 1624...that's soo not happening lol
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    so why is it then if your bmr is always over 1200, why does mfp set so many at 1200 then?

That isn't the amount you should eat it's the amount your suppose to be at NET, at the end of the day. SO you eat 1500 and burn 300 your at 1200. If you burn more you can eat more.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    does anyone know how you can set you mfp goal to your bmr? i was looking at it seems only to go to their settings? i want it at my bmr of 1252 not 1200..

Your goal should be above your BMR, remember your BMR is if in your basically in a coma and not moving. The fact that you walk around during the day, climb stairs, use your brain, etc...all of it eats into your calorie pool.

ok now i am really confused! so what should my number be to loose weight? my bmr is 1252, maintenance is 1550. i want to loose at least .5 lb a week..... I am so confused, i figured if i netted at least 1252, i would be ok and still on the loosing weight side. I have upped my calories to 1310 and i gained 3 lbs in the last week... i have no idea what to have mine set at now...
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    so why is it then if your bmr is always over 1200, why does mfp set so many at 1200 then?

That isn't the amount you should eat it's the amount your suppose to be at NET, at the end of the day. SO you eat 1500 and burn 300 your at 1200. If you burn more you can eat more.
    see that is what i thought i was doing. i thought if i se tmy goal for daily calories at 1252 y bmr, i would net that daily, no less! but when i was doing 1310 i gained, so i had to have it lower then that.... i have struggled loosing since nov, and i am ready to throw the towel in!

ok just checked my tdee and it's 1633, tell me what to do?
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Whoa - wait a minute -- I thought I understood but now as I read more maybe not. So if I am not supposed to eat less than my BMR (which is 1438) but when I x that number by 1.2 I get 1726 for a 1lb weight loss I would - 500 calories from that and that only gives me 1226 as a goal which is less than my BMR - so can I not lose 1 a week???

Wow -- this is really confusing???
  • poulingail
    Options
    Crap!!!
    I just took another look at my MFP BMR and it's 1400 calories. No wonder I can't lose weight. I have been bouncing around the same 2 pounds for a couple of months. Even with 4-5 hours of treadmill per week, I'm not shaking it. I know when I started this journey my BMR was considerably higher than that. MFP set my calories to 1380. That's only a 20 calorie deficit on a no exercise day.
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose you would be able to sustain an intake below BMR, but if you don't have a lot to lose Less than 40 or so lbs then you should not eat below your BMR in net calories.
    [/quote]

Thats the first time I have yet to read someone state this!! :wink:
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Your goal should be above your BMR, remember your BMR is if in your basically in a coma and not moving. The fact that you walk around during the day, climb stairs, use your brain, etc...all of it eats into your calorie pool.

ok now i am really confused! so what should my number be to loose weight? my bmr is 1252, maintenance is 1550. i want to loose at least .5 lb a week..... I am so confused, i figured if i netted at least 1252, i would be ok and still on the loosing weight side. I have upped my calories to 1310 and i gained 3 lbs in the last week... i have no idea what to have mine set at now...

If you want a half lb loss, your are gonna have to get in a little bit more exercise. And remember us ladies get the gift of 1 to 5 daily weight fluctuations. Woohoo! Try not to focus on daily scale weight and stick with any goal changes for three or four weeks. All of the bmr/tdee calculations are just estimates and may need to be adjusted from time to time.