Blame it on the dairy??

Options
13»

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I asked a friend, an aspiring nutritionist, for advice. Here's the little conversation:

Friend: If s/he (presumably she) is burning 500 a day, yes, that's dangerous.
    Friend: They're standstilling because their weight has plateaued.
    Me: What does that mean?
    Me: (Evidentally she's lost 205 pounds so far...)
    Friend: Her body can't handle the strain of burning with little intake, so it's holding on to just about everything she consumes.

Just ear more calories! You need to make up for the stuff you're burning so you can keep losing the weight. If your body is holding onto everything, it won't help.

what does that have to do with cool whip?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I asked a friend, an aspiring nutritionist, for advice. Here's the little conversation:

Friend: Her body can't handle the strain of burning with little intake, so it's holding on to just about everything she consumes.

Just ear more calories! You need to make up for the stuff you're burning so you can keep losing the weight. If your body is holding onto everything, it won't help.

:laugh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

:laugh:

All roads lead to Rome. All threads lead to cool whip.
  • fragable17
    Options
    i have to agree with that your total calorie intake is TOO low cause i made the same mistake. your total calorie intake should never be under 1200 and that means including the calories you burn off. so what you may want to do is eat 1600 calories and then burn 300 to 400. there is an equation to figure out how many calories you should eat and exercise off.

bmr
    the equation i use is (and this is for females not males. not sure what the equation for men is):
    655 + (4.3 X your weight in pounds) + (4.7 X your height in inches) - (4.7 X your age in years)

this gives you your bmr.

however this does not include the calories you burn during the day.

das
    if you have a desk job or similar then your das is 1.1
    somewhat physical job such as retail or nurse where you are on your feet part of the day then 1.2
    a little more physical such as post office and you are on your feet majority and physically involved is 1.3
    and if your daily routine is construction or anything majorly physical then 1.4

now take your bmr and multiply it by your das

there are 3500 calories in a pound. the most recommended number of pounds to lose a week is 1 and most people cannot usually lose more then 2 pounds in a healthy way.

so what you need to do is take that last number and subtract 3500 to 7000 from that number and then divide by 7 to figure out what your calorie intake should be daily. now of course you want to eat more then that by however many calories you will burn with exercise. so again you never want your end number of calories to be less then 1200. i know i didn't explain too well but hopefully you understand. if you have any questions let me know and i'll answer it more clearly

hope this helps!!!
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    The "joke" about Cool Whip is this

WATER, CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).

This is what you're eating when you use cool whip.

I don't even know what a couple of those are, and I see your point. But it's not like I would eat it very often. Haven't in years as a matter of fact. But there are questionable ingredients in LOTS of things. Nothing surprises me with food anymore! :laugh: :laugh:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The "joke" about Cool Whip is this

WATER, CORN SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR).

This is what you're eating when you use cool whip.

I don't even know what a couple of those are, and I see your point. But it's not like I would eat it very often. Haven't in years as a matter of fact. But there are questionable ingredients in LOTS of things. Nothing surprises me with food anymore! :laugh: :laugh:

That's why reading labels is important and trying to eat only real foods.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You don't need cool whip if you have a magic bullet and some whipping cream.

In any case, I agree with those who say you're not eating enough. You probably lost before eating 1200 with a 500 calorie burn but there's only so long the body can function on a net of 700 calories before it starts to panic and hang onto your fat stores.

It's hanging on and you need to convince it that you wont let it starve. So eat more.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    my guestion would be what type of do you do if it is cardio then i would say try some chromium supplements before each meal.

To make the hijack complete...

In a review of these trials it was again concluded that chromium supplements had no effect on healthy people, but that there might be an improvement in glucose metabolism in diabetics, although the authors stated that the evidence for this effect remains weak.[11] However, opinions differ on this conclusion, a review published in 2006 argued that these data instead supported the clinical efficacy of chromium picolinate for the treatment of diabetes.[12] In 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration stated that the "relationship between chromium picolinate intake and insulin resistance is highly uncertain".[13]

Initial concerns were raised that chromium picolinate is more likely to cause DNA damage and mutation than other forms of trivalent chromium,[14] but these results are also debated.[15] These concerns were based, in part, on studies in fruit flies, where chromium(III) picolinate supplementation generates chromosomal aberrations, impedes progeny development,[16] and causes sterility and lethal mutations.[17] However, other studies indicate that chromium picolinate is safe even at very high doses.[18] In mice, one study observed that chromium(III) picolinate supplementation caused skeletal defects in their offspring.[19] However, a two-year study of the long-term effects of this supplement in rats and mice found no effects on overall survival, or on the animal's body weight and food consumption, the authors of this review also found no evidence that chromium picolinate is carcinogenic.

References available upon request, from Diabetes journal, the FDA and Journal of Inorganic Biochem :drinker: High levels of supplements are ususally not helpfull, sometimes harmfull.
  • fragable17
    Options
    FORGET A STEP IN THE ORIGINAL POST SO REPOSTING WITH THE CORRECTION!!!

i have to agree with that your total calorie intake is TOO low cause i made the same mistake. your total calorie intake should never be under 1200 and that means including the calories you burn off. so what you may want to do is eat 1600 calories and then burn 300 to 400. there is an equation to figure out how many calories you should eat and exercise off.

bmr
    the equation i use is (and this is for females not males. not sure what the equation for men is):
    655 + (4.3 X your weight in pounds) + (4.7 X your height in inches) - (4.7 X your age in years)

this gives you your bmr.

however this does not include the calories you burn during the day.

das
    if you have a desk job or similar then your das is 1.1
    somewhat physical job such as retail or nurse where you are on your feet part of the day then 1.2
    a little more physical such as post office and you are on your feet majority and physically involved is 1.3
    and if your daily routine is construction or anything majorly physical then 1.4

now take your bmr and multiply it by your das

***take that number and multiply it by 7 to find out the number of calories you would need a week to maintain your weight***

there are 3500 calories in a pound. the most recommended number of pounds to lose a week is 1 and most people cannot usually lose more then 2 pounds in a healthy way.

so what you need to do is take that last number and subtract 3500 to 7000 from that number and then divide by 7 to figure out what your calorie intake should be daily. now of course you want to eat more then that by however many calories you will burn with exercise. so again you never want your end number of calories to be less then 1200. i know i didn't explain too well but hopefully you understand. if you have any questions let me know and i'll answer it more clearly

hope this helps!!!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    my guestion would be what type of do you do if it is cardio then i would say try some chromium supplements before each meal.

To make the hijack complete...

In a review of these trials it was again concluded that chromium supplements had no effect on healthy people, but that there might be an improvement in glucose metabolism in diabetics, although the authors stated that the evidence for this effect remains weak.[11] However, opinions differ on this conclusion, a review published in 2006 argued that these data instead supported the clinical efficacy of chromium picolinate for the treatment of diabetes.[12] In 2006, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration stated that the "relationship between chromium picolinate intake and insulin resistance is highly uncertain".[13]

Initial concerns were raised that chromium picolinate is more likely to cause DNA damage and mutation than other forms of trivalent chromium,[14] but these results are also debated.[15] These concerns were based, in part, on studies in fruit flies, where chromium(III) picolinate supplementation generates chromosomal aberrations, impedes progeny development,[16] and causes sterility and lethal mutations.[17] However, other studies indicate that chromium picolinate is safe even at very high doses.[18] In mice, one study observed that chromium(III) picolinate supplementation caused skeletal defects in their offspring.[19] However, a two-year study of the long-term effects of this supplement in rats and mice found no effects on overall survival, or on the animal's body weight and food consumption, the authors of this review also found no evidence that chromium picolinate is carcinogenic.

References available upon request, from Diabetes journal, the FDA and Journal of Inorganic Biochem :drinker: High levels of supplements are ususally not helpfull, sometimes harmfull.

Thank you for posting that for 1) to warn of the dangersof high levels of supplements & 2) completing the hijack. :laugh:
  • sharnie_007
    Options
    hey ill be honest dairy is a problem with mine, and ive always sufferede from really bad stomach cramps since when i eat it, ive now cut it out and voila the cramps are gone, but i definatley think dairy and things like bread, DEFINATLEY contribute to weight, dairy has so much fat in it you wouldbnt beleive, congratulations on how farm uve come hun x
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    But there are questionable ingredients in LOTS of things.
    So I'm guessing you aren't one of those "clean" eating proponates, then? :laugh:
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    So I'm guessing you aren't one of those "clean" eating proponates, then? :laugh:

I'm not saying that eating clean isn't a good thing. But I know it's not realistic for me at this point in my life. AND since I'm mildly OCD anyway, I'm really trying not to freak out over every little thing... anymore. So if I feel like some Cool Whip, you can bet I'll eat some. I believe in what my grandmother used to say, "all things in moderation." Ok. That is all.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I'm not saying that eating clean isn't a good thing. But I know it's not realistic for me at this point in my life. AND since I'm mildly OCD anyway, I'm really trying not to freak out over every little thing... anymore. So if I feel like some Cool Whip, you can bet I'll eat some. I believe in what my grandmother used to say, "all things in moderation." Ok. That is all.

you wanna eat cool whip,,,that is your business

just dont complain when you feel crappy and dont lose weight as fast as you could
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Dave, what's up with you and cool whip???? Geez!!! :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Causes Flatulence:huh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

it isnt just cool whip

cool whip is just the symbol for all these folks that act like they are getting healthy but still eat man made chemicals

I dont really care if you eat cool whip
    but just dont act like you are doing ALL YOU CAN...when you are just playing at getting healthy
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Causes Flatulence:huh:

And that's the least of its problems. :laugh:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Not the dairy, since you are eating low fat kinds. If you consume, you know, a box of skinny cow at a time, then maybe... but not at the limits you are eating.

you're definitely not eating enuf. you may try zigzagging your calories, make sure you are consuming all your exercise cals every 3rd day, or something. You gotta switch it up as your body thinks it's done losing weight and really wants to hold onto the rest.

you've come amazingly far... this is just a bump, not a roadblock! and if you're at the same weight for more than a month, that's still great, because you are not gaining!!!