daily weigh ins v weekly weigh ins

Options

Replies

• blackwarrior
    blackwarrior Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i weigh and log twice a week just to make sure its goin the right way:smile:
  • JillianDuquette
    Options
    We do daily but on post once a week, same day and time. Keeps us accountable
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I stay more motivated when I weigh in almost daily, but then again I don't get defeated if I'm 2lbs heavier that night than in the morning. Just stay real with yourself about body fluctuations.
  • joeldalich
    Options
    I fully agree with you once a week is good enough
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily... only because I want to know...
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    I started MFP six days ago at 287 lbs. I have not weighed since. I am going to way on April 1st and every month on the first thereafter. I put my trust in common sense and honesty with myself.

MFP has all the tools that one could ever want for information and support. But if you find even one thing missing from this site, you can surely find it on the internet somewhere.

As for my scale, it supports my bathroom wastebasket next to the toilet and it will NEVER be either motivation or disillusionment again.

That's too much power to give to an inanimate object.
  • manasunshine
    Options
    weekly. the daily weight fluctuations will drive me mad. i want to keep my sanity through this weight loss plan!!
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two weeks. I do not own a scale. Didn't want to deal with that temptation/disappointment.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday. However I check my 7 day progress to guage how my progress is going
  • Nicole921
    Nicole921 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily :-/ but only record Friday AMs weight weekly.. I feel daily keeps me on track, and recording weekly to MFP keeps me motivated by seeing (usually) a larger number, rather than logging it daily.
  • dilbertp
    Options
    I weigh daily. However, I know there are guidelines for doing so:
    1) Same time every day - when I first get up
    2) Undertand water retention can cause fluctuations

I've had success in working towards my goal, but I want to monitor to see/verify the effects of amount of exercise performed and food intake (as well as timing of intake). This helps me better gauge how my body reacts to certain foods, intensity of workouts, etc.
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I use to weigh in every single day, but I realized that I didn't need to do that, so now I only weigh in every week or sometimes every 2 weeks during those times, well you know. I also used to weigh in after a work out a couple of times, which I found was very wrong because of course I would weigh less because of water weight loss.
  • doss1981
    Options
    I weigh daily bc I want to see results even if it is .1 but know that i have lost 29 i think that I am going to start weekly
  • BreezyLuv
    Options
    I weigh in every other week and sometimes 3 weeks. Weighing in isn't so much important because if you can see it, feel it, and realize you are making a change then what is the use of putting a number to it? I don't weigh in because I strength train everyday at the gym and so I gain muscle like crazy. So as I am losing fat and gaining muscle, I can feel the difference and people notice but my number just goes up and up.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I weigh 4-7 times a day.. works for me... keeps me in check, makes me know the numbers I'm working with and not a day goes by I don't lose weight or stay same... Essentially I don't have days I pick up, and if I do, it's because I was drunk and had too many beer calories and only end up picking up 200g anyway, so no biggie... by next day I'm down by double that and often triple that...

So... I gauge my eating based on weigh ins throughout day, I would get worried without a scale...

I mean in a week now I've lost 3.2kg... week before 2.5kg... it just keeps coming off, I don't mind and am happy, sure I'm obsessive but screw that, I love it. Don't care what you guys think, maybe you think I'm great, maybe you think I'm mental, either way as long as I'm happy, then I can ravage my body in anyway I want thankyouverymuch!

To recap... daily > weekly... keeps you in check and makes sure you know where you stand. Weekly can be depressing and make you anxious... not good...
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't, and I even advise others not to, but I weigh myself daily and being a reformed anorexic, that's one thing I can't stop doing. I do however, know why I have weight fluctuations and don't dwell on any increase because I know I'm working hard at this and it will go back down. I assume that any increase is due to increased sodium and water retention.. or to be graphic, a lack of pooping. LOL I only log my weight on MFP if I've lost some.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I do it semi monthly. Daily just seems to be a bit excessive especially since your weight changes so much during the day.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in daily....then twice a week...then weekly and now, monthly (tomorrow is my weigh-in day...lucky me).

seriously, the scale does not dictate your progress, but it sure can eff with your head. when that little number doesn't move down, some folks sound the 4 a.m. alarm in their head, eat emotionally, and back slide. Even at some point when I was weighing in daily, I did out of curiosity more than anything else...but I understood that the scale could go up on any given day by reasons unrelated to fat loss or gain. I've decided now to focus on other evidence of progress instead of the scale.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    since I already know what I weigh, i just use the scale to tell me how hydrated/full I am.. or how dehydrated after drinking...

but my most common use for my scale, is to weigh myself before and after #2 to find out how big that really was.
  • fitobsessed
    Options
    Daily and then I average it out. The reason is because depending on several factors, my weight the next day will NOT be accurate. It could depend on:
    - how much sodium I had the night before
    - did I wait at least two hours before going to bed after eating my last meal
    - did I drink a lot of water the day before
    - how much did I exercise and did I sweat out the water weight

When I weigh myself daily and average it out, I get a more accurate reading as opposed to Monday being 150 lbs and Wednesday being 152 and then Sunday I'm 148 lbs. How will you know your true weight if you just weigh yourself once a week?