does the "eating anything you want in moderation" really wor

Options
Ive heard a lot of people say that you can eat whatever you want as long as its in moderation and still lose weight, is this true? If so what is "moderation"?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    moderation means you are eating portion sizes which cause your calorie goals to be met.

The actual number you're aiming at is different based on your personal stats, and your goal.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Moderation basically means eating only the amount you can still fit into your calorie goal for the day. Like instead of eating half a pizza you might just have 1 slice plus a side salad for lunch if that's all you can fit into your calories. Moderation means you don't have to give up pizza completely, you just have to watch how much and how often you eat it. Also it's easier to fit in the occasional 'treat' if you try to make healthier/lighter choices during most of the day.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. Personally I had to switch my mindset to food being fuel for whatever it is I'm doing. If it tastes good then that's a bonus.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, yes, it works.

I've lost weight by counting calories without worrying obsessively about where those calories come from. And moderation for me means two slices of pizza instead of a whole pizza, two cookies instead of five, one slice of pie instead of two, one glass of milk instead of four, a cup of granola instead of a cup and a half... and so forth.
  • erikjacki
    erikjacki Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sure! However, it is hard enough trying to figure out the balance of "moderation" when you are working on maintaining. I think it is way harder when you are working to lose. Though I still have a bite there and a nibble here (AND log it into mfp). My idea of moderation has changed drastically since I have began this journey. :happy:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    "In moderation" would be "within your calorie goals and not an excessive amount or every day." You can certainly eat 1200 calories of junk each day and lose weight. Of course, you won't be happy, you won't be healthy, and you'll probably be hungry all of the time. I think for most of us, "in moderation" means that I can have the cookie I'm really craving if I have the calories for it. It also means that I'm going to have one, maybe two, and not the whole bag and I'm not going to eat them every day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ive heard a lot of people say that you can eat whatever you want as long as its in moderation and still lose weight, is this true? If so what is "moderation"?

It's true, and moderation would prob entail you eating foods and fitting them into your daily calorie allotment
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Eating something based on the serving size listed on the back of the package perhaps. I tend to make up my own serving sizes sometimes when it comes to things I like.. I'm guessing this, 'eating in moderation' saves you from kidding yourself and going overboard. As for whether or not it works.. well. I think that depends on the person and trigger food. It does help me with the whole weight loss thing overall, considering that at one time I associated dieting with ignoring my favorite foods and taking on a lifestyle of salad eating. Eating in moderation let me have my cake and eat it too.. well just a slice.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It can, but only if you are REALLY good at listening to the cues your body gives you. Eating slowly and mindfully, you can eat just what you need and stop when your body tells you. I'm not so good at any of it, so I count calories!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight eating in moderation. There are no taboo foods or food groups in my world. I eat 2 slices of pizza for dinner, not 4. I weigh out one ounce of aged cheddar for a snack, not mindlessly slicing off of a hunk of cheese. I split desserts or other fatty foods with other people so I can still have *some* just not a ton.

It works for me!
  • hypergirl3
    Options
    it does work! wheni got mono, i didnt eat very much, in an odd way mono taught me to eat things in smaller portions. (the right size of food) and now i eat smaller poritons an dive lost 14 pounds so far because of it! i would say go for it! :DDD
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Moderation to me means "fits my calories and macros."

I do eat half a pizza, but only on days when I'll be within my calorie goals and getting enough protein.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits into your daily calorie goal. You should still lose weight if you do this. Is this the definition of "moderation"? Maybe. I actually really hate that term. I think that eating "junk" works for some and not for others (whether it fits into your daily calorie goal or not). I honestly think it sets some people up for success and others for failure later on. I think, for some people, limiting certain foods actually helps them in the long-term.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my weight eating in moderation. There are no taboo foods or food groups in my world. I eat 2 slices of pizza for dinner, not 4. I weigh out one ounce of aged cheddar for a snack, not mindlessly slicing off of a hunk of cheese. I split desserts or other fatty foods with other people so I can still have *some* just not a ton.

It works for me!

This is exactly what i've began doing! And i dont feel deprived of anything NOR do i consider myself "dieting"
    its great :)
  • auditorz
    Options
    I believe instead of just a daily caloric goal you first need to look at a daily macronutrient goal. Your body needs so many grams of protein and grams of fat at a minimum. If you don't hit minimum fat requirements and minimum protein requirements your body won’t retain muscle and you may lower your basic metabolic rate. Then tomorrow you will have to eat even less calories just to maintain the same weight.

But, as long as you hit daily protein and fat requirements, yes the remaining calories are discretionary. If you want to eat only cake or only skittles for your remaining 800 discretionary calories you will have the same body composition as if you eat 800 calories of wholesome foods.

Now I prefer to get all of my calories from whole foods since they make you healthier, provide nutrients, fiber, potassium, vitamins, and very little sodium. But in terms of body composition eating whole foods or junk food of the same calories is irrelevant.

However if I was trying to lose weight I’d watch carbs, they are digested quickly so you get hungry again right away, whereas a burger or even fatty bacon (!) provide a more filling meal calorie per calorie. I think it would take a ton of will power to hit a low calorie target for the day eating a lot of sugary junk foods.
  • neekz0r
    neekz0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It works for some people, will it work for you?

Maybe. Can you practice self-restraint and not over-eat? Can you accurately measure the portion size you should have? Remember, in the US we have outrageously sized portions.

http://dietandobesity.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/portion-sizes.png
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    works for me.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Moderation to me means "fits my calories and macros."

I do eat half a pizza, but only on days when I'll be within my calorie goals and getting enough protein.

Same as above for me. Lost 60 pounds this way, also have had great lean muscle improvement, conditioning and tightening. :)

I have adjusted my Macro ranges to differ from the MFP default.
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Consider giving up soda/ sugery drinks first. It may startle you to learn that heroine, morphine and sugar all stimulate the same receptors in your brain. Once you giving up soda for a month then challege your self to give up something else.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yes it does work for weight loss---how ever if you want to be HEALTHY you should keep the "anything you want" (if what you want is junk food) in moderation as well. I try to limit myself to one treat a day. It can be anything at all: coffee (because I LOAD it with sugar--5 packs....), hot chocolate, real chocolate, chips, granola bars, low protein-low fibre cereal (I don't count high protein/fibre as a treat but as a good food), or anything else that I am craving that day. Everything else I try to make it be healthy so that I can be sure my body is being nourished rather than just being fed.