does the "eating anything you want in moderation" really wor

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Moderation to me means "fits my calories and macros."

^ I like the way you put it

but for weight loss as long as it fits your calorie goal. If you can make it fit your macros, even better.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    It worked for me, but that's not to say it will work for everyone else.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eating something based on the serving size listed on the back of the package perhaps. I tend to make up my own serving sizes sometimes when it comes to things I like.. I'm guessing this, 'eating in moderation' saves you from kidding yourself and going overboard. As for whether or not it works.. well. I think that depends on the person and trigger food. It does help me with the whole weight loss thing overall, considering that at one time I associated dieting with ignoring my favorite foods and taking on a lifestyle of salad eating. Eating in moderation let me have my cake and eat it too.. well just a slice.
  • ASiters
    ASiters Posts: 8 Member
    It may work and you may continue to lose weight but that does NOT mean you will be healthy if that is what you are going for...
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    It does work, I haven't change what I eat, just how I eat. Portion control I think is the most important thing to learn,
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    IIFYM= If It Fits Your Macros.

As long as whatever crap you eat gives you a proper balance of proteins, fats, and carbs, you can still be healthy.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    Absolutely it works. Every time I tried cutting things out of my diet in the past, I failed, because I missed those things, and would binge and go back to my old eating habits. Think of it as when you tell a child he can't play with a certain toy. The child might not have even been thinking about that toy, but as soon as you say "no that is off limits" well of course, they want to play with it more.

Once I told myself that eating what I like to eat is OK but just to make sure I stay within my calorie limits and balance my meals, then I stopped worrying about it...and I've lost about 11 lbs since changing that mentality. I still go out to eat with my friends, I still have pizza if I want some, but instead of stuffing my face, I eat a couple slices, and make sure I've worked out that day. It's all about balance.

Having said that, some people have a harder time than others with moderation and controlling your portions. If you find it particularly difficult to have the self control to eat these things in moderation, your experience will be different. I just pay attention to my calorie intake, and eat what I'd like to eat while staying within my limits.
  • Eating something based on the serving size listed on the back of the package perhaps. I tend to make up my own serving sizes sometimes when it comes to things I like.. I'm guessing this, 'eating in moderation' saves you from kidding yourself and going overboard. As for whether or not it works.. well. I think that depends on the person and trigger food. It does help me with the whole weight loss thing overall, considering that at one time I associated dieting with ignoring my favorite foods and taking on a lifestyle of salad eating. Eating in moderation let me have my cake and eat it too.. well just a slice.
    ^^ Ditto! It works for me, I have lost and still eat what I want just not as often as I would like OR as much as I want! : )
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    So far it's working just fine for me. If it fits into my calorie goal and I want it, I eat it.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    I've learned that the definition of "moderation" varies GREATLY.

Some people think "moderation" is one serving a day. Some think its one serving a week.

If I let myself have anything I want but stick to just one serving size of this and just one serving size of that a day while still keeping within my calorie limit, then no, that does not work for me. I don't lose weight if I eat crap, regardless if I stay under my TDEE in calories.

I give myself ONE DAY a week where I can eat whatever I want, and stay at or under 2,000 calories for that day. That's what moderation means to me, that's what works for me.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    I can't do it. As soon as I have a bite, my body craves more and I can't stop. My self-restraint is either at full blast (don't even touch it!) or not there at all.
    If I must I will try to use moderation but I have to stare at the nutrition label while doing so and keep thinking, "One bite=10 calories. Oh well that was two bites, thats 20 calories."
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    FOR ME - yes. absolutely. It doesn't work for everyone though. I still eat every food i did a year ago. I've not cut out anything. I've lost a bit over 30lbs. I'm working to lose about 10 more, and am not planning on changing anything. But, again, it doesn't work for everyone!
  • There are some things I cannot eat in moderation because they have an addictive affect on me--I can't stop and/or end up binging.
  • IIFYM works best for me. I tried to eat "clean" and quickly realized I didn't want to eat like that for the rest of my life. I enjoy candy and ice cream way too much for that. As long as I hit my macros, I can eat whatever I want with my leftover calories.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    It works for me. I eat sweets every day, drink alcohol several times a week, eat pizza once or twice a month, etc.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Some people it works for and others it won't.... I maxed out at 560 lbs. and had to make the hard choices which was emptying the house of all junk foods. I couldn't have a box of oreo's in the cupboard and say oh in moderation, I will just eat 2 and leave the rest for another day... Grab me a gallon of ice cold milk and the box and it wouldn't stand a chance.... So i chose to replace everything with good choices like Fruits and Veggies... I like Nuts like Almonds and Pistachios...... I have a spike meal twice a week but beyond that I eat to my plan and never vary..... It is what works for me....... Good Luck to you on your journey.......
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Another fan of IIFYM here.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Sort of. You have to use some common sense here too (assuming better health is yoru goal and not simply a lower number on the scale).

Can you have 2 donuts instead of 4 for breakfast, a quarter pounder (instead of a quarter pounder with fries and soda) for lunch, and 2 slices of pizza instead of 4 for dinner? No. Can you have a burger and fries tonight and pizza tomorrow, both surrounded by a healthy and balanced diet the rest of the day? Yeah, you might have success doing that.
  • Works for me~Nothing is off limits!
  • i fully believe in not denying yourself. let's say one day you want to go out with friends to eat pizza - that morning, add the meal into your diary and shape your other meals around the fact that later the pizza will take up "xxxx" amount of calories. Denying yourself leads to stressing over it. stress can lead to weight gain! Just make sure the indulgence isn't on the menu every day.