I've eaten loads of cake mix ... argh!

Options
I'm so annoyed with myself!

I tend to do so well throughout the day and spoil my total calories in the evening!

I bake for my Pottery class every Wednesday to take in cakes for the class on Thursday.

No matter how hard i try i never seem to be able to bake without eating loads of left over cake mix from the bowl and then try a cake when it comes out of the oven, oh and then there is the icing that goes with it!!

SO ANNOYED!!! :sad:

Replies

• ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Start making a different treat - one that does not include cake batter.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    try a little bit of self control.........have a taste, that's it!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can find a low-calorie recipe.
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help but had to comment. I flipping love cake mix. I'd rather eat the cake mix rather than the cake :-)
  • curvylady1
    curvylady1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to do that a lot...all my diets would be ruined in the evening, and I was always going to restart tomorrow.

The important thing here is that you analyse the situation, learn your strengths and weaknesses and move forward.

Good luck!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Log it as like 200 calories and go for a walk/job to burn it back off. I used to be really really bad about doing that, too. That's kind of why I stopped baking. LMAO I also specifically budget in a bunch of calories to be used as snacks at night - I plan it in advance, that way I know what snacks I'm 'allowed' to have and I look forward to enjoying those rather than raiding the pantry when I start feeling snackalicious.
  • MissLuana
    Options
    I too am a cake mix eater so I feel your pain.

My solution: on days I know I'm going to be making a cake, I try and do a little more at the gym to compensate. Or I make sure cake mix gets in on one of my 2 "off" days I give myself a month.
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    I tend to do well during the day, too, then in the evening I sometimes end up blowing it for the day. I try to be positive towards myself when I do this. For example, I used to just go ahead and binge on (usually) sweets and stop tracking. Try to keep tracking it anyway, and congratulate yourself when you make little steps towards improving, like just going over a little versus bingeing and throwing the plan out the window. Do you ever watch that show Hungry Girl? I'll share some ideas she has. Will have to look them up at home. If you friend me and remind me, I'll share them with you later (some lower calorie cake and brownie recipes).
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I don't know how anyone can eat raw cake mix :|
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Damn, I wish I had an oven so I could make some cake now. Mmmmmmm cake batter.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I took both home made cupcakes and fresh fruit to my last staff meeting. All the fruit went and only half the chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes and I was totally surprised. You might try bringing a healthier snack next time and see what the response is - you might be as surprised as I was.
  • avibachar
    Options
    I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to self-control, but I have a suggestion for your specific cake mix problem.

When you look at the cake mix and you're about to eat it, picture eating all of the raw ingredients separately.... if you can sit there and be hungry after imagining sucking in a mouthful of flour, followed by a couple of raw eggs, a clump of butter, and baking powder, then you've got serious issues lol

About a year ago, I watched a couple of those shows where they make the spectacular cakes for rich people. After seeing how they put stick after stick of butter into the vat to make the icing, I can't eat baked goods anymore without feeling like I'm chewing on a mouthful of butter. I miss a lot of the snacks I used to enjoy :( but it's helping me cut back on the sweets.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Log it as like 200 calories and go for a walk/job to burn it back off. I used to be really really bad about doing that, too. That's kind of why I stopped baking. LMAO I also specifically budget in a bunch of calories to be used as snacks at night - I plan it in advance, that way I know what snacks I'm 'allowed' to have and I look forward to enjoying those rather than raiding the pantry when I start feeling snackalicious.

I've logged it as more than 200 calories as i did eat A LOT :ohwell:

I LOVE baking though! Maybe i could try taping my mouth shut so i can't eat any!? lol
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Me neither -- all I can think about are the raw eggs and the possibility of getting salmonella! LOL I feel the same way about raw cookie dough.
  • avibachar
    Options

Agreed. Ew.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my weakness is chips and salsa which we always have as snacks for when our friends come over for card and game night, because like you I can't stay away from them we had to stop buying them and now I feed them fruit or popcorn or something I can moderate. You might just need to give up making your class cakes, besides odds are they don't need the calories either. save the desserts for special occassions.
  • cpotter4
    cpotter4 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When I know I am going to be around "bad" foods, i chew gum. When it is on sale, get a ton of different flavors of gum. Start chewing before you start baking. As soon as it starts to get old, pop in a new piece. This definitely helps. Having something in your mouth already really keeps you from putting more in, especially if it is mint to cake batter...bleh!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

B/c it is freakin' delicious. LMAO Also if you use EggBeaters instead of real eggs (or if you do the 'diet' version of using a can of diet soda), you don't have to worry about bacteria as it is pasteurized. LOL
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'm so annoyed with myself!

I tend to do so well throughout the day and spoil my total calories in the evening!

I bake for my Pottery class every Wednesday to take in cakes for the class on Thursday.

No matter how hard i try i never seem to be able to bake without eating loads of left over cake mix from the bowl and then try a cake when it comes out of the oven, oh and then there is the icing that goes with it!!

SO ANNOYED!!! :sad:

First off you look fabulous!!!!

I would switch to baking something that you don't care for that much, that way the temptation won't be as strong
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to self-control, but I have a suggestion for your specific cake mix problem.

When you look at the cake mix and you're about to eat it, picture eating all of the raw ingredients separately.... if you can sit there and be hungry after imagining sucking in a mouthful of flour, followed by a couple of raw eggs, a clump of butter, and baking powder, then you've got serious issues lol

About a year ago, I watched a couple of those shows where they make the spectacular cakes for rich people. After seeing how they put stick after stick of butter into the vat to make the icing, I can't eat baked goods anymore without feeling like I'm chewing on a mouthful of butter. I miss a lot of the snacks I used to enjoy :( but it's helping me cut back on the sweets.

i love raw batter, cookie dough, brownie...well, you get the point...i'm going to remember ^^this^^ the next time i have a craving or am faced with a similar situation...thanks for the tip!