I've eaten loads of cake mix ... argh!

Options

Replies

• cath775
    Options
    Here's the best secret I know about the cake mix thing...Just add 1 can of 7-up, Ginger ale, or Mountain Dew to the cake mix....that's all. No butter, eggs, oil, etc. Mix and bake the same as if you used all the other stuff. Cake comes out real moist and the batter is better for you...no raw eggs.

Another secret..take yellow cake mix, add 1 can of Mountain Dew...bake it, let cool and "frost" with Cool Whip. Tastes just like a Twinkie and better for you as well.

Good Luck fellow mix eating lovers
  • mmfitzgerald
    Options
    My mom used to make cake with applesauce instead of oil, that would at least help make it a little healthier!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    SUGAR FREE GUM? HOPE IT HELPS
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do the same dumb thing, Makes me sooo mad!!! did it just yesterday with brownie batter, and last week with cookie dough, I love to bake for other people so just have to stop the habit of eating the batter/dough and I eat the "broken" baked goods too, at least you log it- I always tell myself it doesnt count until its baked, lol!!
  • monharri
    Options
    make a different treat. the cake mix is too tempting.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I can eat raw cookie dough. But raw cake mix? To each her own, I guess...
  • vabrewer33
    Options
    Brush your teeth before you start...It might be like toothpaste and orange juice-they just don't mix!
  • ladyjeanne57
    ladyjeanne57 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can SO relate! I love the taste of cake mix! No way I can bake a cake without pigging out on it! Sorry, I have no answers for you, only empathy!:bigsmile:
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    No frosting! A little unsweetened cocoa powder over the top of a chocolate cake gives it a NICE contrast of flavor together, but is bitter if you just stick your finger in and taste it.
    I suppose powdered sugar would also be a better alternative to frosting. A finger dip of powdered sugar probably isn't as bad as a spoon of frosting.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh no, I don't know how anyone can eat raw cake mix :|

Me neither -- all I can think about are the raw eggs and the possibility of getting salmonella! LOL I feel the same way about raw cookie dough.

Although it might no change your opinion it is Vegan cake batter so there are no eggs
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh well, cake batter is my weakness. I have been eating it since I was a kid with my great grandmother.

Now I bake and when I do I already know I am going to eat it.

The only difference is now I know that I will have to to do a little bit more when I work out if I want it.

Dont beat yourself up about it. :-)
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Take healthier treat. We had a "lock in" for our youth group...and we had giant cookies with icing.....donuts.....cupcakes etc. Would you believe that we had to keep refilling the fruit tray? The kids skipped the sweets and went for the fruit! The strawberries were so red and sweet....super yummy! Maybe make a cool low fat dip to go with it!
  • scardone
    Options
    I agree with chewing gum. It keeps your mouth busy and you don't think about eating the batter. ALso, try making the cake after a meal so you aren't hungry. After you eat, brush your teeth and pop a stick of gum in. That should stop you from trying it and licking the spoon!
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help but had to comment. I flipping love cake mix. I'd rather eat the cake mix rather than the cake :-)

DITTO! :happy:
  • Allisa125
    Options
    Try a sugar free cake mix, mix with a can of diet strawberry soda, mix and throw in the oven. I LOVE cake mix, but I don't care for this kind. It makes a wonderful cake though, super moist. Add a little sugar free cool whip to it and your pottery class will love it, I guarantee they won't know it's sugar free, AND if you eat some of the finished product, at least it's a sugar free snack!
  • Annaflower
    Options
    When I know I am going to be around "bad" foods, i chew gum. When it is on sale, get a ton of different flavors of gum. Start chewing before you start baking. As soon as it starts to get old, pop in a new piece. This definitely helps. Having something in your mouth already really keeps you from putting more in, especially if it is mint to cake batter...bleh!

This is a fantastic idea!

Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone has blowouts and slip ups. Start tomorrow fresh and plan your days food so you can save some calories, sugar and fat for an evening snack. I always have a small amount of chocolate in the evening, if I didn't I would cheat so much!
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    :happy: oR.... u could use a box of cake mix and one can of pumpkin puree and add a little water until it's the right consistancy for you. Make them into cupcakes instead of cakes. Use it with chocolate mix or anything u like. It's really great I make them for "muffins" for my boys and they love them
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When I know I am going to be around "bad" foods, i chew gum. When it is on sale, get a ton of different flavors of gum. Start chewing before you start baking. As soon as it starts to get old, pop in a new piece. This definitely helps. Having something in your mouth already really keeps you from putting more in, especially if it is mint to cake batter...bleh!

That's actually a brilliant idea, Just thinking about gum and cake mix seems horrible. Plus chewing gum is sweet so i definately think i'll try that! Thanks :happy:
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I tend to do so well throughout the day and spoil my total calories in the evening!

Me too! I so feel your pain!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    how much batter is left over? Why not cut back down on the recipe so there are no unused leftovers. Or you could try offering a differing treat other than baking. Or you could buy store bought items with just enough in the container so that there is one per person. Some store bought sweets bought in the bakery section do not really taste "store bought" since they are baked right there fresh. I understand you like baking, but if you can't find some self-control, maybe it will be best to put that hobby on pause for awhile....