Is anyone else sick of Facebook???

Options

Replies

• onmyway31
    Options
    I closed mine, I hated the negativity that I would see everyday and it was starting to rub off on me. I am pretty much a peaceful person but some people just are too much on there. I don't want to share my life anymore on facebook, it's like an open pass to be in your business. As I grow and mature I realize that facebook is full of illusions that people put out, 99% of the things people put up there are advertisements of their "glorious life" that really isn't like that in the real world. On facebook everyone's either fighting, complaining, or playing nice to people they hate, it's a joke!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    On New Years Eve, I decided that the beginning of 2012 would mark two things. One I would finally get in shape and two give up Facebook for good. Most of my friends couldn't believe the Facebook decision because I was on it religiously. I would check it every five minutes on my phone like I would check the fridge for snacks even though I knew there was nothing there. I am not going to lie, it does feel like I am missing out on some of my friends and families lives but there is also something very gratifying about calling your family and friends instead.

I am just curious if anyone else feels the way I do. Do you feel that Facebook is a bit intrusive? MPF offers a great alternative to meeting new people that are all here for one main goal and that is to be healthy, happy and sexy individuals! :smokin:

I had to ask myself, "is this making me a better person?" NO. Made me nosy, critical, jealous, and narcissistic. So I deactivated it.

2 weeks later I logged back in and saw it was the same old garbage.

It was great at first, finding old buddies, (that was about 2007) but in the past year, it's been horrible....So I left.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Deleted mine about 3 months ago. Too much drama
  • e_NV_y
    e_NV_y Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just gave up Facebook for Lent last week.. and when I first made up my mind that is what i was going to do, I seriously got real anxiety about it... and then i knew for sure it was the right decision because how is the internet going to change my mood!! . lol. I was the same check it every 5 mins (all day!) kind of person too and thought giving it up would be a huge battle for me. but Honestly .. after a week i feel better! even though i do miss the constant connections with some of my family and friends i realized im not missing a lot. And I also have been actually calling and texting my friends more often which is great because before i would just read there status and know how their doing..Now i can have a real conversation! haha sounds odd but facebook really can take over your social world... So even though i will most likely turn it back on once lent is over.. I gotta say this break has been amazing...Real life is actually happening.. WHO KNEW?!?! haha
  • onmyway31
    Options
    I'm not sick of Facebook, I'm sick of some of my friends on facebook hahah! I love keeping up with my family, seeing the baby pictures, but sometimes I look at my newsfeed and think "why am I friends with you" People from high school add me and it's like you try to force a friendship just because you know them, but their drama is the same as it was 15 years ago......oh and coworkers! yes I work with you, but I don't want you seeing pictures of my kids so please stop trying to add me! whoo guess I needed to vent about that huh. I think no matter what social networking site you use you need to treat it like your living room, only invite the people you actually like.

Ditto!
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You never get rid of Facebook, like it or not. And all your friends' actions on there enable Facebook to piece your life together even if you never post anything yourself. Even if you visit pages outside Facebook that have "Like" buttons on, Facebook can track you. Welcome, willing lemmings, to the destruction of your privacy. (I doubt that Google+ is any better in that respect and could be worse in that Google has the ability to aggregate it all with any data collected about you from any web page that had an element on it furnished by Google).

Paranoid? Probably. Rightly so? Definitely.
  • talzybob
    Options
    i believe facebook has changed far from what it was designed to be which was a tool to stay iin tough with freinds and family. its to commercial and now whe it changes everything about you becomes public to the point where you have to change all your securty settings back yourself because they changed it for you. I hate the new timeline but the reason i wont get rid of facebook is because it is quite frankly the only way i have to keep in touch with some of the friends i have made at uni and with some of my pen pals who now refuse to write letters.
    where are the days where we used to sit and wait for the post man to bring us a letter from our pen pal???? i miss my letters. i know im a lil bit old fashioned but i have done it since i was little.
    i lve mfp for meeting people and talking to them. here you can have good chat about real things and quite frankly get a proper decent conversation without feeling like you entered a conversation with nextdoors love sick puppy, (dont ask but i really did have a convo with a friend on facebook via a status then a love sick boy put in his point and woulndt shut up)
    but i do have one point to make. if facebook was to shut down completely wouldnt most us inc myself simply be sat be sat twiddling our thumbs doing nothing?? well more time for exercise and losing weight though. but as they the devil makes work for idle hands.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I'm not on it as much... I post, read a few... then log out. too many people think their lives are THAT important. Here, for the most part, we're all wanting to reach the same goal of better health, looking better, losing weight.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I frankly don't care if random internet companies (FB, Google) want to follow me around the net and have my details.
    I don't do anything that warrants extreme privacy, and it's not like it's some creepy stalker, it's just data, a **** ton of it. I'm pretty boring.
    In fact, I prefer to see ads that might be relevant to me. i'm gonna see ads anyway, why not have them be slightly worthwhile?
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    << Proud to be Facebook-free.

Don't care for friends or family, so FB is useless to me.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Whats the difference btween FB/ twitter and MFP? really? :glasses: we all post on a forum that we check way too much. :bigsmile:

We are naturally vain and crave attention despite our denials....how many "how hot am I- rate me" threads need to exist??:wink:
  • rbeatty63
    Options
    Whats the difference btween FB/ twitter and MFP? really? :glasses: we all post on a forum that we check way too much. :bigsmile:

We are naturally vain and crave attention despite our denials....how many "how hot am I- rate me" threads need to exist??:wink:
    LOL! Great perception.

I have a love'hate relationship with FB. I used to read ALLLLLL the time, now, thanks to the FB induced attention deficit syndrome I can no longer stay focused long enough to read an entire paragraph. Urrrrrrr! :)
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I left FB August of last year--did the temporary deletion thing so I can go back down the road, and have my same profile if I wish. I found it was getting very drama filled.
  • heathermarie517
    Options
    Since starting MFP (again), I hardly ever get on FB.....just so much more to relate to on here!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am getting sick of it. I don't use it nearly as much as I did. I do use it to keep up with family and that is fun but I have all but stopped playing games. I play a couple and try to beat my mom all the time. :)
  • Fit4Kateri
    Fit4Kateri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I deleted my facebook earlier this year for various reasons. Annoying people from high school still reliving their senior years, family business posted that I really didn't care to know, the girl that posted every 5 minutes to tell what she was doing just at that moment, etc. It's funny because my mother calls me a week after my birthday to give me birthday wishes. She said she would have told me on the day but couldn't find me on facebook. Bless her heart, I had to lecture her on communication. I don't miss having an account at all.
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    i used to be on facebook all the time..........but since joining this site i am now on this all the time :)

Me too!!! I have more in common with people here
  • ChefCupcake
    Options
    I ditched Facebook a few months ago. I am on here way more than I was on there. I'm addicted to this site even though I don't really know anyone on here. It's sad that so many people rely on communicating through Facebook instead of in real life. If you don't have it, sometimes you are just left out. The way I see it, if they are truly my friends, they know how to contact me. I don't need Facebook! :)
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am rarely on anymore. It seems it is all games, politics, or emo people...lol. I have a Google + account that just sits there, kinda like the old myspace account. My new obsession is with Pinterest. I really don't know what the big deal is with it other than no drama...but I am addicted!
  • TheCountryMomma
    TheCountryMomma Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am very tired of it. I stay on it, just because I do have family in Canada on there, and it's cheaper and quicker to share things. But since being on MFP, I have found that the FB community isn't as encouraging as people on here. There is less drama, more encouragement and we are all on the same page when it comes to lifestyles. Everyone is so quick to keep your spirits up, keep you motivated and just have a GOOD time.

I don't use it nearly as often as I used to. I blog, which is a great thing to do, for moms, dads, and especially to jot all your thoughts on working out and losing weight and keeping in shape! I figure if people want to stay in contact with you.....EMAIL!!!!! If they don't care about you enough to do that, then they aren't worth having in your life!