Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - March Challenge!! Take 2!

Options

Replies

• abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - Thanks for the encouragement!! You're right, I am ready. I just hated that being sick threw off my training schedule. And I felt like I was going through withdrawal too!! From you guys and MFP in general!! It was strange not logging, but nice to know that I survived the week!! You definately earned that yummy food after a 13+ miler!! WTG!! Thats amazing...I'm jealous!! You will totally rock your race...I cant wait to hear all about it!! And sounds like you have some great goals in mind. I hope to do around 2:30, but I am like you and just want to finish!! I hope you get some nice goodies in your race packet, let us know!!

Bethany - Thanks, although it wasnt as hard to workout there when they always had things to do!! Its so funny, before I saw what recipe you had posted I was planning on making Shepards Pie this week too!! Made it last night and it cam out great!! I hope you get your runs in before you leave for AZ, and hopefully you can still fit in a workout while there. I'm sure you will have a great time out with your friend, enjoy it!! Good for you for hitting the TM when you were frustrated!! Much better for you then eating (like I always do)!!

Meg - Well you sound like you needed a day off from Insanity!! It is very high-impact (from what I have seen so far). I hope you have a great time back with the family and enjoy your cupcake...you earned it!! And you are awesome to pack your Insanity DVDs. Its so easy to slack while away!!

Meag - Thanks, I am hoping that it has become a life-style change!! And you're right about the training schedule for a full....I dont know how people find the time to fit in 20+mile runs every week!! Even if my body could do it...I would never have the time either!! Yummm...grilled meats sound awesome right now!! I got get my hubby back out on the grill soon too!! And its great that you found a friend in spin class, I think having someone to workout with helps to keep you motivated! Have fun on your yoga date!!

Kendi - Getting running shoes should help a lot. Once I got properly fitted all of my knee and hip pain have gone away!! Definately worth the money!! And you will do great in your race!!!

AFM - So I had my meeting with the Dietician on Monday. She did that MedGem testing to determine my resting MR. It came out to be 1277. So she actually recommended upping my calories a little more but then not eating back my workout cals. She thinks it better to have a constant calorie intake. She has my meals planned out at 1500 cals a day then adding only 100 more on my long run day. So I will give it a try for a little and see how it goes. I ran on Monday and Wednesday (3 and 4.5 miles) trying to get my lungs back in shape. Both runs were a little brutal though. The weather has been amazing here though, nice 70 degrees with just a little wind. I am trying to do my last long run tomorrow before my race next week. Still a little nervous but excited too!! I also just signed up for the Delaware Marathon (May 13th) as a relay with 3 other friends!! So each person does 6.55 miles. I am soo excited for that. I guess that all for me!!
    Hope you all are having a great week!!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Abby thanks I definitely paid for all that junk I ate though... Great idea about getting in your last long run at least several days before the big day, I did mine on Sunday just to make sure i could run the whole thing lol, Im getting soo nervous i really want to treat it like any other regular day and just run for the fun of it but I always tend to panic and have sleepless nights when it's something I've been looking forward to and never actually done like a half, even though technically Ive done many lol something about a race that just gets me anxious but Im going to run at my pace which is most important! You will also rock that 1/2 we tend to no give ourselves the credit but you have been going awesome even while on vacation, let us know how that new calorie intake goes I would like to see a nutritionist at some point to see what i really should be eating as far as macros and calories.

Kendi Sounds like you guys are doing everything you can with your lil pup, he's still young, my dog is 1 1/2 years old and those 6 months make a huge difference!! Muggy humid weather is gross I hate it we have humid weather as well and my hair will usually turn into a big frizz ball lol..

Bethany Thanks Bethany! Excellent job hitting the TM versus food like Abby said I would have done the same thing too and probably binged so good job. How's everything coming along with your younger brother?? Hope you have an awesome time with your family!! :smile:

AFM I had my first body pump class at the YMCA, not sure if I like it since I have chronic shoulder pain and two disks are slightly shifted I have to be really careful since I weight train often but safely, and this class was a lot of stress on my right shoulder might be suffering tomorrow but i really hope if I do it goes away by Saturday which is my first half marathon and I want to be in the best condition/pain free as I can. Sucks too because I ran into a metal cabinet with my right knee and it's getting swollen and bruised and got head butted by a kiddo at work today accidentally so i have a small welt/bruise only forehead just a hot mess right now lol! Other than that i plan to wear some funky St. pattys day clothes tomorrow for work since we work with kiddos we gotta have the extra spirit and going to a friends house after work for bbq salmon, this co-worker of mine is also doing the race Saturday but we are running separately since she's a much more seasoned, faster runner than I am. Thats it for me until tomorrow or Saturday have a great Friday everyone! Cynthia :bigsmile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Very quick reply, as I feel like I am totally abandoning you ladies recently. I wish I had more time these days but it's the same old story. Life is just killing me!

Abby - 1600 cals on a long run day could spell disaster... If you're running 10+ miles you NEED to fuel. Dietitian or not, she's NOT a runner. And she's likely not got experience in sports medicine/athletic conditioning. Your body needs fuel and it also needs the right sugars and proteins to help your muscles recover after such a taxing run. Please be sure that you are getting enough fuel. It's not worth the potential issues to lose a lb or 2, especially with your race coming up quickly. Weight loss and endurance training are a tough combination and most runners really struggle. You just have to keep at it. I'm sure you'll get there. Takes time, my dear.

Got in 2 runs this week and I'm pleased with that. Wednesday was a COMPLETE write off. I had to work 9am-10:30pm and there was just no time/energy for a workout. I also ate out at an absurdly posh and expensive restaurant and my meal was both underwhelming and very rich, which made me quite ill. My stomach was not happy at all. Yesterday, thankfully, I was stressed out to the max and ran a 6mile route at about 9:24 -- great pace for a training run for me! And I only have 4 miles on tap, so it felt good. I clearly needed the release.

Tonight I've got hot yoga and then my last "longish" run before the race. I'm going to aim for 6-8miles and just see what it takes me. Nothing major planned. No route. Just going to head out and go. It's supposed to get up to 18 or 20C which is just GORGEOUS for running. So I'll just make enjoying the sport my main goal for tomorrow.

Cynthia - Sorry to hear about your klutzy injuries haha But stellar job trying out Body Pump. I always enjoyed the Bootcamp class at the Y. You should check that one out too. It's a great mix of plyo, weights, and some ab work (at least at our location). There's a great Core class at my Y too, and of course -- Cyclefit! :bigsmile: Lots of stuff to try out. Hope you find whatever motivates you and that you enjoy. Fitness classes are such a nice change from the usual solitary run. It's not an every day thing for me and I'd never trade in running for the classes, but it's good variety and it's nice to meet up with other people that are keen on fitness as well. Enjoy them!

Bethany - Ehhh yea he's always been around actually :laugh: Since I moved back to the city a few years ago I haven't been very successful at fostering new friendships with my job, training, and everything else. It's just tough, so basically I rely on Tyler for nearly all of my socializing. He's the only real "friend" I have locally. So it's very hard not to spend my time with him. Needless to say, things are ever-shifting with us. Between decided to try and make things work one last time and just calling 'er quits. It's not easy :ohwell: Thanks for your love and support, my dear! May be headed out to San Diego in a few weeks time. I'll keep ya posted! :bigsmile:

Gotta jet - Work calls. TGIF LADIES! :drinker: Make today a great one!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Good morning ladies and happy weekend - Thank goodness it's finally here!

It's St. Pat's and I think i'm going to just not worry too much about intake this weekend and next weekend for my race. I have way too much stress in my life right now and I can't be freaking out about cals. I'm rarely over and when I am, it's usually with healthy foods and choices, so I am not going to be overly neurotic this weekend. Whatever happens, happens. Planning a 6-8mi run today in the sun and then who knows what else! It's a beer-drinkers day today so I am going to indulge, but no plans yet. I just hope the weather cooperates and I can spend the day outside :bigsmile:

Went on a 13.5mi bike ride with Tyler last night. It was nice and I could really feel it in my legs - but a bit cold at night for biking. The wind was harsh! We stopped and had a pint at our local dive and then rode home. Nothing exciting :ohwell: Jeez my life isn't very exciting, is it?

Ahhh anyway! I don't have much else to report on really. Just wanted to bump the thread. Hope you ladies are doing well and have fab plans for the weekend...

QOTD - How do you navigate party days/celebrations ? Do you just write them off, try to have big workouts on other days, or just do your best to moderate at the event and consider it a success? Or some combination? What are your St Pat's day plans?
  • abby459
    Options
    Cynthia - I know what you mean, I still get nervous even if I know I can do it. At least you have run over 13miles though...I still havent gone past 11.5, so 13 terrifies me!! You will do awesome and I can't wait to hear about it!!! The nutritionist was helpful and helped me with a realistic macro breakdown too!! By now your race is probably already over...but I wanted to say Good Luck!!!

Meag - No worries, I will not be sticking to 1600 on long run days all the time....I always eat if I am hungry. She gave me those numbers based on what I told her that I usually eat on long run days...and usually I eat around 1600-1700. Eating more then that is hard for me, I am just not hungry after all that?? And she actually is a runner, she does marathons, so she understands the struggle I am having between still trying to fuel properly while losing weight. I think her perspective is to have me eat more on a daily basis so that I am not having a huge spike on long run days....she says drastically changing your cal intake day to day is bad for weight loss?? She set my calorie levels to only loose 0.6lb/week, so nothing drastic. I dont know, I am not firmly committed to anything though! Glad you had some great runs and a nice bike ride this week, even if it was windy!!

For the QOTD - I try to plan ahead and eat really good the rest of the day or workout extra so I have the extra cals. If I just wrote it off I think I would do it too often?? And I dont trust myself enough for that yet!! And no plans for St. Pattys day...unfortunately I work a 12hr shift...and then another 12hr shift on sunday....so no fun festivities for me :/

AFM - I did my last longer run before my race yesterday....only did 8.1 miles and it hurt. I am soo disappointed that I havent been able to get to 13miles before my race....I really wanted to just so that I would know that I could make it. But it is what it is...and I will still give it my all!! And run, walk or crawl I will make it over the finish line!! And Hubby got off work that day to come cheer me on, so that was a nice surprise for me!! Otherwise nothing else exciting going on here....stuck working all weekend, but then I have monday through wednesday off!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Abby - Sounds like you know what you're doing :bigsmile: I didn't mean to lecture at all. Just wanted to make sure you were eating well and fueling for your runs. It can really hinder your progress if you aren't eating enough, and weight loss while training is just tough stuff. Most people find it very difficult to see results on the scale and that often leads to an unhealthy relationship with food (I'm a great example of that one... so I'm speaking from experience here!) -- As for your race, you will be amazed at what your body is capable of on race day, lady. The farthest I had run was 11miles before my 1/2 and I was running on a foot injury. Still made it, in agonizing pain, but with a great time that I was really proud of. Don't sweat the bad runs and anything you missed in training. You are more than prepared enough to rock this 1/2 !

Gotta jet ladies. Busy day today and it's BEAUTIFUL outside! Happy Sunday! :drinker:
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Okay it's official. This thread has been completely taken over by runners! Love it!

Cynthia, how was your race? Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Abby- When is your race?

Meag- So excited for you and your 30k next weekend!! A bunch of people from my running group are going down for it. i should have done that!!

AFM ran 16 miles yesterday with my running group. it took 2h50 minutes. Gorgeous weather out and beautiful run. Our clinic instructor didn't run because he wasn't feeling well so instead he set up a surprise station with his car at about 10 mile mark, with apricots, gummy candies, chocolate milk, tea, pieces of bagels, orange slices, pineapple.. it was such a boost (physically yes but mostly mentally)! Definitely gave me a second wind to keep going. At about 14 miles or so body was really starting to feel it (hip, knees, etc) but i made it. I had a nap in the afternoon and woke up with both my arms completely tingling, wonder if my shoes were too tight or if i just need to move my arms more?

Feeling alright this morning, not too sore, so thats a good sign. Think the aches and pain was more fatigue then anything.

Anyway happy Monday, have a great day/week!
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - thanks ! And the MRI stuff is going okay, no more symptoms of numbness since October so hopefully it means I am done for a while!!! And yes I am so glad I didn't face plant hahaha and I feel ya on those awkward ankle twist !! Glad you survived too. I did the same thing with day light savings- had absolutely no idea till half way through the day haha

Meag- Yes love me some Dallas shopping ! I really focused on my push up form because you are totally right , form is key and I am just glad I didn't hurt anything worse. Hope you had fun at your BBQ and is Carl officially back in your spin class ? I remembered you mentioned he hadn't been teaching the ones you were attending there for a while.

Kendi- thanks I had a nice trip! Good luck on prepping for your race coming up ! I know shoes are key for my workouts, hope your feet feel better on those long runs and can't wait to hear about the race !

Bethany- I love a sprinkles cupcake and since I live over 2 hours away from the closest store it's a treat to get one. But yes, they could easily get addicting, especially around holidays when they have special favors !! Hope your week got better after the phone call but awesome job channeling the frustrations into something positive like a workout!!! Stay strong :)

Abby- the relay run sounds fun! Hope it goes well for you :) and we eat the same amount of calories ! I love my 1500, I know I have a lot more energy when I hit 1500
  • lalonmeg000
    Options
    Cynthia - thanks ! And the MRI stuff is going okay, no more symptoms of numbness since October so hopefully it means I am done for a while!!! And yes I am so glad I didn't face plant hahaha and I feel ya on those awkward ankle twist !! Glad you survived too. I did the same thing with day light savings- had absolutely no idea till half way through the day haha. And you were falling apart with all of those bruises and bumps this weekend! Hope you are healing up fast

Meag- Yes love me some Dallas shopping ! I really focused on my push up form because you are totally right , form is key and I am just glad I didn't hurt anything worse. Hope you had fun at your BBQ and is Carl officially back in your spin class ? I remembered you mentioned he hadn't been teaching the ones you were attending there for a while. And you deserved a break this weekend, what did you end up doing for st.patty's ?

Kendi- thanks I had a nice trip! Good luck on prepping for your race coming up ! I know shoes are key for my workouts, hope your feet feel better on those long runs and can't wait to hear about the race !

Bethany- I love a sprinkles cupcake and since I live over 2 hours away from the closest store it's a treat to get one. But yes, they could easily get addicting, especially around holidays when they have special favors !! Hope your week got better after the phone call but awesome job channeling the frustrations into something positive like a workout!!! Stay strong :)

Abby- the relay run sounds fun! Hope it goes well for you :) and we eat the same amount of calories ! I love my 1500, I know I have a lot more energy when I hit 1500

AFM: didnt get anything near an Insanity workout last week being at home. Did however have a wonderful shopping trip with my mom, and even on my "splurge" days, I stayed under or right at my calorie goal, I just made some adjustments for the lack of workouts. Hit the gym today though and it felt awesome ! I am going to make it a point to see the hotel gym the morning of interviews in Cali just because I always feel 100% more confident after a good workout. Early bed-time tonight, didn't sleep well last night and it's another busy week between work and school. I will try and post again this week before I leave for Cali !

Oh and has anyone read/reading the hunger games !? Addiction has set in and I don't even like reading !!! Totally channeling in the theater nerd in me and dressing Capitol for the premier hahaha
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Short selfish post my race was great at the beginning, the course was marked the day before and we had so much rain that it washed a lot of the course off and i was at mile 8.5 and was keeping my eye on this guy because he was running almost the same exact pace as me after 8.5 and couldn't see him anymore and i assumed he sped up but about 1 minute later I could see the finish line and I was super confused cause I had only been running 81 minutes of so, i basically came to a complete stop and asked a volunteer which way do I go because i was running the half marathon but there was also a 5k and a 10k going on, i was told It was a half mile back but that i couldn't run back and had to cross the finish line and return my chip, I was PISSED to say the least but mainly disappointed. I was super emotional Im not quite sure why but I think because while I was running I was on this incredible high "runners high" that is that I'd never had before and felt super accomplished at how far I have come and how much i trained and have been committed to this and for all that to be effed up by volunteers directing the wrong way. My time was adjusted but still incorrectly because i was told I ran 11 miles but I know I ran 8.5-8.6 or so and according to my chip 1:22 (82) minutes or so including my one minute stop to figure wth was going on, apparently this happened to hundreds of people and we all got emails with an apology and "readjusted" times but still i emailed them and let them have it. Im over it i plan to run 13.1 this Friday morning and timing myself and hope it can be as enjoyable as this one was.... Enough about me hope you ladies had a great Monday and I will be back on here tomorrow Good night all Cynthia! :yawn:
  • tiffintn
    tiffintn Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey everyone 24 years old ...new to posting not that new to the site ...looking for new motivation to hit my las little bit and physical goals....i know how to lose weight ...but i have become a chronic cheater...i snack on too many high calorie things while at work (thats in a steakhouse) ...i know it sucks....lol but thats what im here for

starting: 275
    current: 169.8
    goal: 140

~Allie7383- PR in my Disney Half Marathon, be under 145, log 5 days a week and drink at least 8 glasses of water every day.
    ~Skreal89 - break the 210 mark for the first time in 3 years; run 4 miles without a walking break; burn 6000 calories a week working out; eat all of my daily calories instead of eating low and being hungry all the time.
    ~Catrina9785 - actually finish the 30DS, work on completing my C25K, decrease my muffintop area by 0.5in, lose 5 lbs, start cooking more homemade healthy meals.
    ~courtneymal17-Lose at least 1 lb//week, workout 6 times a week, no fast food, & start running (Long term goal is to run a 5k in november!)
    ~jnbud2002- start working out 6 times a week with P90, drink at least one whole 3 qt ish jug of water while at work, lose at least 5 lbs, and start eating more homecooked meals
    ~adam4life - Swim 3 times a week, Bike at least 3, run at least 4. 3 hours of workouts per day. Push-ups and sit-ups in the morning and at night before bed. Keep up another solid month of no soda and no fast food. TRAIN HARD!!!
    ~Kaitthegr8t- go to the gym M/W/F and walk the park or beach Saturday AND Sunday. Cut carbs and eliminate beer all together. Only go out to eat twice this month :)
    ~strunkm4 - Run 100 miles this month, Lose 5 lbs, eat at least 1,200 calories a day.
    ~miss_amy- hit onederland this month!, lose at least 6lbs, work out 5-6x a week, making sure to get at least 2 arm/back workout days in every week, do more yoga!
    ~monkeypantz - Do some kind of cardio workout 6 days a week, no takeaways/ fast food, track food in MFP everyday, stay within calorie limit everyday
    ~StacyAnn1001 - work out 6 days a week, minimum an hour a day - double works out 3 times a week (cardio on my lunch for 45 mins, circuit training at night for 55 mins), learn how to use weights (this is the goal i didn't complete last month), get down to 120 lb by feb 29 (HAPPY LEAP YEAR!!!!), continue to NOT snack on cheese at home, book a vacation for March to somewhere tropical i can wear a bikini, continue to network on MFP and help support all my new friends on here :)
    ~lilieslosinit- I have one goal that is really important to me. I want to log everything, every day. I'm terrible at holding myself accountable. Other goals include: drinking 8 glasses of water, getting down to 160, and exercising 5 days per week.
    ~abby459 - Run 100 miles in Febuary (will be harder this month, less days and vaca!!) Keep up with my training plan for my 1/2 in April. Hopefully get to 135lbs. And since I have vacation from Feb 25 - March 3, I am making it a goal to work out a minimum of 4times over that week!!
    ~mkingraham (Megan)- stretch, drink at least 64oz of water a day, make heatlhy eating choices, and visit the gym
    ~ eleanoreb- El- rack up the running miles
    ~ moochachip (Emily)- Drink 8 glasses water a day, work out at the gym 3-4 times a week, run 4-5 days a week preparing for 5K in May.
    ~Maridelsol82 (Mari)- Drink at least 10 cups of water a day, weight train at least twice a week, and some type of cardio at least 3 or 4 times a week. Lose at least 4 pounds this month:)
    ~Jessie544- get below "lowest weight" (since I've been dieting) which is 175 (current weight 184.8) AKA lose 10 lbs, continue going to cardio classes and maybe try zumba (big maybe cuz they charge $11 a class!)
    ~Cassi_Eats_Apples- Knock off 5 pounds this month, try a Zumba or Aqua Zumba class. Do more strength training.
    ~Shannonaufman - Eat 1200 net calories; Drink 64 ounces of water on weekdays, 32 on weekends; exercise for 1000 minutes; burn 10000 calories; walk/run 30 miles this month. I wouldn't be devastated if I saw 161 on the scale at the end of the month.
    GreenHumanClay (Cynthia) Continue to train for my 1/2, increase h20, 1-2 days of R&R, eat less than 10% of boxed food items, lose 2 pounds, weight train 3xs/week, sleep more, focus and stay on top of my current school program and enjoy this month more than last!!
    ~Meagalayne- Complete 4 more weeks of ATB training (modified for my travel schedule) including a long run up to 14miles; weight train 2x per week + spin with CrazyCarl on Mondays; Try hot yoga; No weigh-ins after Feb 3rd until post ATB; allow myself to indulge while in Austin, but not to completely derail my progress with food and emotional eating; Start/Finish another novel on vacation.
    ~jublum- workout 4-5 days a week. each of those days include cardio, but each day i need to incorporate 15-20 of strength training which I have been lacking in. Also, to stay on tracking and meet my calorie goal everyday!
    ~lalonmeg000 (meghan) Finish up Insanity, only 4.5 more weeks! Continue eating healthy by grocery shopping 1x/week so I can get fresh fruits and veggies. Do 1 thing this month that is fun, for me just because I am worth it (ie, a new shirt, a pedi, massage etc)
    ~KCrandi-I'd like to fit into size 10 Jeans. BUT the goal I'm setting is to Work out atleast once everyday, as well as drink atleast 8 glasses of water/day.
    ~btor- My goals for this month are to not drink pop, work out a minimum of 5 days a week for an hour each time, and to eat more veggies!
    ~Stylistntenn - My goals this month: to lose 7 lbs, to keep increasing my exercise and treadmill time as I get in better shape, also decrease my diet soda intake and up my water. :) Good luck to everyone!
    ~Alcavin08-My goals for this month are to drink at least 8 glasses of water 7 days a week, be more active, eat more fruits and veggies, and be down in the mid 170's by the end of this month.
    ~clairification-Complete the 30 Day Shred, work out on breaks at work, eat more raw foods and remember to take my vitamins!
    ~GuamGrly (Bethany) - create a meal plan each week, workout 3-4 times per week, keep up with 5K training for the mud run on March 31st, consume no less than 64oz of water per day, up fruit and veggie intake
    ~CaliAliLouise- stick to my meal plan for the month, only eat out twice this month, work-out 6 days a week and get below 175!
    ~Twisted88- My goals for this month are to be under 225 by month's end, to workout at least 5 times a week, and to start bringing my dinner with me Tuesday-Thursday when I have class in the evening (10 out of 13 potential times if possible).
    ~alodell89 - My goals are to drink more water and to work out at least 4 days a week!
    ~ TonnaJai - lose 5 lbs, 6 glasses of water I want say 8 because I am beginning from old habits, use my elliptical Monday through Friday!
    ~melrose09 - run a 10k and get my 5k below 30 minutes. 5 second one arm handstand on EACH side, 4 press handstands in a row, perfect 2 man squat and at least 3 more acro tricks with my partner.
    ~siobhanhannon: workout 5x weekly including at least one pilates class to improve my posture; drink 3L of water a day (regularly not gulping down when I realise its been hours!), lose 8lb to bring me down to 160lbs, think positive and keep at it
    ~kendib - work out 6 days a week, enjoy my rest day, back to going to bed early, lose 6 pounds.
    ~jacksonsarah6 - work out 3 or 4 days a week, drink 6-8 glasses of water every day and finally see the scale move in the right direction!
    -ThisisMiss - Walk at least one hour every day with my DD, get more aerobics/dancing time in at least five days a week, drink more water, eat fewer carbs
    -nyfashionista19- Stick with my zumba for wii routine, while incorporating 30 DS starting on the 13th and complete it! Get under the 210 mark(7 lbs.to go!) and take my son for more stroller walks!-weather permitting
    -ser1019 : Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, lose 6 pounds, eat more fruit/veggies, and work out 4-5 days a week for 1-2 hours. Good luck everyone!
    -ElleD89 - Lose at least 3 pounds, bring my running up to 25 miles/wk (currently at 18), and limit my drinking to one night a week.
    -charf88 - Try 30 Day Shred, but if i vomit work out by walking or doing a Zumba DVD at least 3 times a week
    ~zgolub - log in every day to MFP till end of month, work out every day off from work (I work 3 days a week), get up early one workday to work out, stick to under 2000 cals 5 days a week.
    -missgolightly727(Emily)- Run 3 days a week(stick to 10k training plan), spin 1 day a week, drink 3 water bottles full of water per day, track EVERYTHING, BREAK THIS STUPID PLATEAU!
    -CindyM29 -log in everyday, run at least 2 miles a day, lose 8 lbs this month, drink at least 8 cups of water a day, be able to do at least one pull up.
    bb0322 - this is the last month i'll be 23. goal before birthday is: get back down to mid 120 lbs range and never go above it again!!! I will reach my goal by staying on track of 1200 cals a day, tracking everything on this awesome website, and hitting the gym when i plateau. We're in the best age of our lives and need to be as hot as we can!!!
    tiffintn- log all calories (no cheating). work out at least 4x a day (not cardio bunny style.. real lifting)...lose 29 more lbs then reasses body comp...most of all GAIN SELF CONFIDENCE>>>BE HAPPY WITH MYSELF!!!
  • tiffintn
    tiffintn Posts: 8
    Options
    also one of my hidden dreams has been to start running...I would love to have that 13.1 sticker proudly stuck to my car!!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Finally getting a chance to post after a crazy week last week. Work was busy as hell, plus I had a quiz and midterm to get through, ugh. On the plus side, I ran the NYC Half last Sunday and had an amazing time. Amongst 15,000+ people was crazy, but I got to chat with some cool people in my corral. The race started at 7:30, but I didn’t cross the start til a good 30+ minutes later. In fact, I was still marching towards the start when the elite runners went past us, which meant they had already completed the 6 mile loop around Central Park!! Omg it was so cool to see them just fly by like it was effortless. The CP lap was def challenging with one big hill around mile 4, which I’m proud to say I ran the whole way up. There were tons of charities being represented which was inspiring to see. We exited the park and it was a straight shot down to Times Square with a great view the whole time. When I got there my mom was waving at me so I stopped for a pic before going on my way. Then it was down 42nd street and down to the West Side Highway for the last 5 miles. It was nice running along the water, and somber going past the 9/11 site as you could see runners turning their heads repeatedly to look at the gaping space. In the last mile we entered a long tunnel and then one last hill around 800m before making our final turn around the corner to see the finish line ahead. At that point I was def tired, but just kept staring at the finish trying to go as fast as my legs would allow. I managed 2:20:25 officially and I’m def happy with that. The pictures went up today and there were some really awesome ones from TS as apparently I was broken away a bit from the crowd so I will def be ordering some. We taped the coverage, and the funny thing is that while I didn’t make it to tv, my mom did! You can see her standing at the barrier as the male leaders went by lol. So overall it was a great day with perfect weather and I’m happy my mom got to see me not only on the course but crossing the finish line this time. Tonight I signed up for a 5K in April. Def want to keep motivated!

Cynthia- I’m so so sorry about your race, that is incredibly sucky, and they should’ve let you re-route to the correct path. I hope you at least get some type of refund, and get in a good 13.1 miles.

Abby- When is your race? The longest I had run before the last 2 was 10 miles. When you’re in the atmosphere you’ll be able to get through the end. Just think, you’ve come 10, what’s another 5K? The relay sounds great! I would love to do something like that if I had friends that would join me lol.

Meg- Enjoy your Cali trip! I’ve heard nothing but good things about The Hunger Games, and I have the first one, but haven’t opened it lol. Glad to hear the MRI stuff is going well.

Meag- I know you got your race bib and you’re gonna freakin crush your race! Yay for another vacay as well. I’ve only been to San Diego briefly but I hear it’s nice. Just watch the intake of Mexican food ad that last time I was there we had it 2 nights in a row and both mom and I ended up with Montezuma’s Revenge.. Not pleasant!

Bethany- Hope you’re enjoying your trip! My sis has told me repeatedly about the goodness of Sprinkles. I have yet to have one, but I’m hoping one day she comes home with some lol.

Unfortunately that’s all I have time for at the moment. Have a great week all!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    Cynthia- that is horrible. No wonder you were emotional. I would have cried. I wonder why they didn't let you just go back and keep going. They should definitely refund you. Are there any other races in the near future you could sign up for? Great idea to do it on Friday regardless. Good luck!! you will kill it.

Allie- congrats on your race!!! Was it your first half? I would love to do the NY half or full. Sounds like it was really amazing. Haha and i know what you mean about being glad your mom saw you. i've definitely had a few 10 k races where my parents just didn't see me run by. It's hard when there are so many people. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

AFM- Usually Tuesday nights we have a talk prior to our run (with my running clinic) on nutrition, injury prevention, etc..but tonight we are actually running to a gym and then doing a core class lead by one of the clinic members and then running back. i love core work, can always use more of it, so i'm looking forward to it :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Holy slacker, Meag! Sorrry gals - It's been hectic around here. I have been reading and keeping up, just no time to sit down the past few days and catch up with all your updates.

For me - I've been TRYING to taper, but not overly successful. My legs just want to run! I ran 5.3miles in 50 minutes yesterday (9:26 pace) and that was an "easy" run. Or supposed to be. My avg HR was under 150 :ohwell: On Monday I did CrazyCarl's spin class and it OWNED me. And on the weekend, a 7 mile run at way-too-fast a pace (seems like my comfortable pace is moving to below 9:00 these days) and then some gym time on Sunday... So today is a rest day for me! :bigsmile: I need it!

Things with Tyler are very bizarre right now. Not sure how to update on that. We are seeing each other sporadically and have actually planned to take a trip to San Diego together instead of me going alone. I basically just invited him. Hope it will help to give us each a better perspective on where we stand. And I know we'll each have a good time - it will just be a very different trip than I intended. Not much for "escaping" my from life, anymore...

El - Congrats on your mega increased mileage girl! Those long runs are a killah! I love seeing all your posts and it's great that you are making them fun and enjoying them. Stopping for a little break is something that many runners feel like they can't do because it's "cheating" -- so ridiculous! The miles still count, even if you take a little break to smell the roses! Running is supposed to be FUN! :happy: As for core work - you're on your own on that one! I hate it! My core is a total mess :grumble: Good job fitting it in, lady!

Cynthia - WHAT?!?! :noway: I cannot believe that! I would be SO bummed! I am really impressed with your attitude about it though. I'd have cried and freaked out and totally gone MENTAL on the race directors. Even for the last 5K I did (which I really didn't care much about at all) that was mis-routing I sent a SCATHING email to the race director and vowed never to run his races again. It's totally ridiculous that they weren't better prepared for the weather and that the routes weren't remarked or that volunteers weren't there to help guide you guys. Sigh. I am so sorry to hear that. The first "big" race should definitely be a more positive experience. The one good thing is that now you'll be able to have ANOTHER first 1/2 Marathon! :laugh: You'll just have to do it again! :tongue: Running the 13.1 on Friday will be a great test. Try to enjoy it lady. <<hugs>> And if you need me to come down there and kick some *kitten* for you, just let me know!

Allie - I have loved seeing/reading your race reports and pics from the NYC half! You look brilliant - strong, fit, happy and very determined. Great race and time, too lady. I am muy impressed. I am soooo ready to kick some serious *kitten* on my race this weekend. You will be hearing all about it! :wink:

Tiff - Welcome! :flowerforyou: Great goals and very impressive loss to date. What an inspiration! Hope you stick around and keep posting with us. It's always nice to have fresh faces in the group :bigsmile: I am a notorious "cheater" with snacking, especially when I know I have loads of exercise cals left. Even if I'm not hungry. Nom nom nom. Such a foodie! Good luck curbing that and keeping it in check. It can be tough!

OK gals I gotta jet. Work calls! Taking a lunch 3 days in a ROW this week - HOLLAH! Have to do what I can! :bigsmile:
    Enjoy your Wednesdays - Much love!
    Meag :heart:
  • abby459
    Options
    Meag - No worries, I know you are just looking out for me!! Sadly, my unhealthy relationship with food is that I cant stop eating it, haha!! I think thats its good that you and Ty are taking a trip together, maybe it will help one way or another. And the Taper has been hard for me too, not that I am as fast as you, but I still find it hard to run at a slower pace right now. Hopefully that means we will unleash it all this Sunday and kill our times!!

Eleanor - My race is this Sunday. Wow, you did 16 miles?? I am in total aww of you. That is incredible!! I am sure it was a challenge, but you made it!! And if you werent too sore the next morning then that says a lot!!

Meg - I agree, I think 1500 cals is a better number for me. I am only 5'1", so it will make the weight loss a lot slower, but I feel better in the long run!! Glad you had a good shopping trip with your mom and staying under your cals is awesome....very hard to do when away!! Good for you for getting right back to the gym!! I just finished the Hunger Games over my vacation and I loved all 3 books!! I couldnt put them down!!

Cynthia - I am sooo sorry about your race. I would be extremely disappointed too!! No surprise that you were emotional about it, how could you not be!! I am glad that you are running a 13.1 this friday, I know its not quite the same, but you need to do it for yourself!! You trained so hard for that and need to get yourself a time!! Let me know how it goes!!

Tiff - Welcome!! Looks like you have had some amazing progress already!! And I am a newer runner too, started last June/July. Feel free to add me as a friend too!!

Allie - Thats sounds like a nice, scenic route for your 1/2. And passing the 9/11 site must be emotional for everyone. You finished with a great time though and I love your pic!! You make it look soo easy!!! I agree that signing up for another race will help keep you motivated...I keep signing up for more so I dont quit running!!

AFM - So the big first 1/2 marathon is this Sunday and I am sooo nervous and excited!! I have a few questions for my fellow runners on here......first, do you run with your iPod or music?? second, do you run a little bit the day before the race or take it as a rest day?? Also, as of right now, they are calling for rain in my area on Sunday.....so any tips for running in the rain?? Have any of you done it before?? Sorry for all the questions, the pent up nervousness is getting to me. I have been trying to taper, but its been a struggle to run slower and not as far, but I am doing the best I can!! I had a great dinner out with the bf last night. We went for all you can eat crabs and they were amazing!! One of my favorite foods!! I ate a good bit, but stayed under my cals and didnt stuff myself completely!! I am looking forward to carb-loading a little over the next few days. I am making homemade gnocchi on Saturday night for a pre-race meal!!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    Abby- Just a quick reply to try and answer your running questions. I'm sure the other gals will have advice too. If I'm running a 5 or 10k, i will run a little bit before hand to warmup, but for a half I don't. You will need all of your energy (and more)! so it definitely won't be a rest day. What i would do is take Friday off then do a short 2 mile run or so Saturday, get your legs moving a little bit, and then nothing until the race.

As for racing with music, it depends. Have you been training with music? I think it's a good idea to stick to whatever you are used to. For my half, i had my ipod all setup and i told myself I would wait until partway in and use it as a boost. I think i turned it on right before the first hill because I felt i needed it. Maybe 5k in, whichw as sooner then planned but served its purpose. I think I run faster with music. It is nice to soak int he atmosphere of the race though, especially at the start/ finish.

As for rain, don't worry about it. I've ran in pretty much torrential downpours and it was fine. Wind is worse then the rain, so just hope not too windy. Also some people like to wear baseball caps, mostly personal preference. You will be so caught up in the race you will barely notice.

Do you have a time goal in mind? And no matter time you do, it's a huge accomplishment just to do it.

Good luck!!! will be cheering for you from Canada!!
  • abellone7289
    abellone7289 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just came across this post, and although it's late in the month, I want to get connected in preparation for next month!

I am (almost) 23 and finishing up nursing school this May. It's exciting and stressful all at once! I am so excited to get out into the real world and be a nurse but I am so stressed because I don't even know what state I will be living in 9 weeks from now. It's taken a toll on my body and eating habits for sure.

My goals for what's left of this month: track EVERY day. No cheat days. Run 3 times a week. lose 4 pounds by my birthday (April 9).

I am excited to find a group like this and I can't wait to get to know you all! Feel free to add me =)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hi abellone! Welcome :flowerforyou: Happy to have you and good job picking some goals for the last 10 days of the month. Keep in mind that doing this thing long term as a lifestyle means accepting and being comfortable with some "cheat days" -- moderation in everything. They aren't always cheats either. Often, we calculate for them and work them into our lives. We can't always control our circumstance and we just have to let some things go and start fresh the next day. Hope to see you posting here often and with whatever comes to mind. Questions, advice, comments, updates, support, whatever you like.

Same to you Tiff - Join the party!

El- GREAT advice on running to Abby. I second everything you said! And I do exactly the same:

Abby - Rest Friday, easy few miles on Sat, race my heart out on Sunday :bigsmile: As for music, I just keep mine on the entire run. 30K this weekend will be a true test. I might even get tired of it and just pop them out for the last while. Eventually it drones on and on. But yea, I tend to keep everything the same on race day. Same food. Same schedule/routine. Same clothing, music, everything! It's a good thing I'm a creature of habit, anyway :laugh:

Rain - PSHT! You'll be fine. Wear a hat, prepare to be a little wet, and that's about it! As long as there's no downpour, hail, or major winds you won't even notice or care! I promise you that :wink: Dress for the weather and you'll be set! Just DON'T over-dress, no matter what. You'd rather be cold the first few miles and warm up than totally bogged down, sweaty and exhausted from overheating by mile 6. Just wear performance/wicking clothes if you have them and be prepared to get a little wet. It's not biggie and honestly, you won't even notice. The more clothing you wear, the more likely it is to weigh you down when you get wet, so keep this in mind. What's the temp supposed to be?

OK I better get going. Laundry and chores plus getting ready for tomorrow (early morning run and weights), and then I'm going to go out for a long walk before bed.

Have a fabulous night! :heart:
  • lalonmeg000
    Options
    selfish post tonight, I will go back and see what everyone is up to in the morning.

I am disappointed in my eating habits. I am staying in my calorie range, and working out 5 out of the 6 days, but its not with healthy food. I am not slacking enough to gain weight but I can feel my belly bloating again. I think its the combo of stress and diet dr.pepper. I did that thing again last night (idk if I have mentioned it or not) where I wake up in the middle of the night really confused and thinking I am late for work...I usually snap out of it after a few seconds, but last night I went to the point of fully getting dressed for work, keys in hand, and calling my boss....it was 2am. I am just slightly worried that if it keeps progressing as these "conscious dreams" have been, will I end up actually getting in my car? I mean i don't know. Then I wonder is it really that I have let work get to me so much that I am being physically altered, or does it have to do with the car wreck and all the MRI's I have been having? Both maybe? I looked up REM behavioral disorder and they symptoms sound a lot like whats going on. I am fully aware of whats going on, but it takes me a while to "wake-up" and realize my dream logic isn't logical.

and I apologize that half of my post are venting or seem depressing. I am a happy person really! I love my life and I very blessed and fortunate to have so many wonderful things and people around me (y'all included), but sometimes i just need to vent because telling your parents your consciously sleep walk doesn't leave them in a comforting feeling.

honestly I am hoping the trip to California will put more things into perspective and let me get back to my eating healthy I was rocking in January. Right now I am still just really confused, and trying my hardest to channel the negative energy into exercising but I am becoming mentally exhausted.

Hope you are all having a good week, and thanks again for everyone always being here! Just knowing there are other 20-somethings going through similar 20-something struggles is more comforting than ever!